Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Bringing my PBY back..need suggestions

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Bringing my PBY back..need suggestions

Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing my PBY back..need suggestions

So I dusted off my old electrify pby that had been sittin in storage for the past 3 years or so. I put it away because it went down in the lake I fly In and ruined my expensive rim fire motors. Didn't want to fork out the cash to fix it so I moth balled it. To bring you up to now I brought it out again put new servos in it and ordered motors and esc's. But then I got to thinking...how cool would it be to put some nitros in it..? Pretty cool I thought but then I realized I have no idea what size nitro to shove in there. The prop is an 8x6 with a 2830 1050 kv brushless motor. What I'm really asking here is for help as to what size nitro motor if it's even possible to put in.
Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Joshsubmec

Would a .15 be over kill or under kill?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Is this a foam, wood or FG plane? If it's foam, stick with the electrics
Old 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Joshsubmec

Fiberglass fuse wood and mono kote wing.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turning the 8x6 Prop at anywhere near the same RPM as the electric motor is going to take at least a strong .15. The weight of the engines is going to be substantially more than the equivalent electric motors so you are going to end up with a balance issue. Adding a couple of tanks of fuel is only going to add to the cg problem. You might consider going to www.allerc.com for a couple of Hyperion motors which are better than Rimfires and less expensive.
Question -- is it the motors that are trashed or the esc's? If it is the esc's you can get good escs from Hobbyking.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Joshsubmec

Alright guess I'll just stick to electric. But yes it is the motors. One feels like it's got sand inside of it and the other is locked up. I don't even know what happened to my esc's it's been so long
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Joshsubmec

And I buy all my electronics from hobbyking. They have good products at great prices
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you treat your electronics with CorrosinX? It works well to save electronics from water damage. Motors need to be dried and oiled after immersion to prevent rust.

If you really want to go the IC route, look up Davis Diesel Development. He has had good success in converting glow engines to diesel so that they swing a much larger prop at low fuel consumption.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Joshsubmec

No I failed to treat my motors. Although it wouldn't have mattered after the fact because they were both already messed up when I pulled it out of the water. The 100$ battery was toast also. I do like the idea of a diesel..
thanks for the input