Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

How to add ballast to fibreglass floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

How to add ballast to fibreglass floats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 05:31 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Joe, not sure why you're arguing so hard,, this statement is wrong, since the float extent out further than the fuse, it will take less weight to balance adding to the floats, can't dispute the physics of that.

Arguing whether a plane should be nose or tail heavy after adding floats??? That's a completely different conversation,,, well that would depend on the float's design of course. But it's been my experience, that since most of the mass of the float is forward of CG, Yes it tends to make them nose heavy more often. But things like water rudder linkages, extra mounting hardware for the rear float struts can shift the CG back too, there's never one answer for every design.

Why the plane needed nose weight is irrelevant to his question on how to best balance it
Iam not arguing i gave him imfo to see why his floats are making it tail heavy . servo in the back of floats? Float step not forward enough junky heavy floats ? Has to be a reason ? you guys love weight and my 100 in seaplane is 7 pounds with two lipo packs in her .Can he slide a battery foward to not add anymore weight ? WEIGHT is your enenmy my friends . but carry on !

Last edited by joebahl; 03-14-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I've flown several planes off gear and when the floats were added it caused them to be tail heavy.

Hence, adding the least amount of weight possible to the front of the floats solved the problem. I could swap back to gear and the plane was still balanced correctly AND the least amount of weight was added.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I've flown several planes off gear and when the floats were added it caused them to be tail heavy.

Hence, adding the least amount of weight possible to the front of the floats solved the problem. I could swap back to gear and the plane was still balanced correctly AND the least amount of weight was added.
The question i ask most times or figure out on my own planes is why. I said in a early post i have put on to many ploats in 40 years and not one set ever made the plane tail heavy . I have fiberglass floats that were real heavy to begin with but never changed the CG. . If his step is correct as rhe imfo i sent him to then go for it or try to move the exsiting weight (batterys) foward and use adding weight anywhere as the his very last resort. joe

Last edited by joebahl; 03-14-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

True, but assuming that adding floats changes the CG, which has been my experience, then moving batteries around would have to be accomplished each time you changed from wheels to floats and vice versa and in the ones I have done that is easier said than done.

Whatever works
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM
joebahl

Yep and iam happy to say there are to many true seaplane plans for me to build from out there so my attatching float days are over . I still tend to make room in the nose of most of mine to slide lipos foward in case i have a CG issue but so far its no problem . Back to building guys and good luck. joe
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM
raptureboy

The OP has left the building I often wonder what kind of impression we leave on people posting questions when 2-3 posters get in a *issing match over something so inconsequential as adding weight or not Remember; if you want to be persuasive don't be abrasive Now on the up side if you go to your local hardware store they sell these neat plastic plugs for screw holes that would be perfect for plugging holes.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by raptureboy
The OP has left the building I often wonder what kind of impression we leave on people posting questions when 2-3 posters get in a *issing match over something so inconsequential as adding weight or not Remember; if you want to be persuasive don't be abrasive Now on the up side if you go to your local hardware store they sell these neat plastic plugs for screw holes that would be perfect for plugging holes.
You teach him what ever but i want them learn to figure out WHY .! WHY its tail heavy ! Do you know ? All kinds of thoughts WHY But no real answer WHY . Do you know how many guys at water fun flys i have seen take off tail heavy a yell out they were tail heavy and the rest of us fying land to get out of their way . WHY ?I hope the OP is checking to see WHY and maybe just maybe saving his plane . joe