Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Spectra II Amphibian

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Spectra II Amphibian

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Omurru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra II Amphibian

I know there are a couple of people following my construction of this aircraft. Well it's pretty much finished now, had to hand it in at school today for marking don't get it back till the end of November which is pretty annoying. For those of you who don't know these are the specs and some pics of the completed model.

Spectra II Seaplane built from RCM Plans
- Super Tiger .75
- Pneumatic Robart Retracts
- Split Flaps
- Dual Aileron Servos
- Dual Fuel tanks in fuselage small one in tail, and a Perry pump
- Throttle and Elevator servo both mini's mounted in tail
- High Torque servo on Rudder
- HS422's throughout the wing
- HS 101 on retracts and nose wheel
- Fuselage is currently blue but i want to paint a shark on it when i get it back

The model has been under construction for two years now and has cost me about 1200USD, There are a total of 8 servos on-board all on separate channels, Futaba PCM receiver, dual 1800mah 6V sub C nicad packs, and a full robart pneumatic retract system. Plane has flown from a paved runway, think I will have to put thicker legs on the landing gear for a grass runway but it should be ok. Also want to put some type of rubber seal around the canopy hatch to make it water proof and there are a few gaps which are yet to be closed around the wing. Also gonna put a differently shaped nose cone on it when I get it back, more of a flat bottom, looks better. But thats about it.

This is the only one of this model I know of flying today and I know it is the only one with the mods i've done to it so I am pretty happy with it. A bit more finishing and cleaning up and a paint job should see a beautiful model for the summer months of float flying.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69483.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	66306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17479.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	66307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85314.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	66308  
Old 10-08-2003, 06:33 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectra II Amphibian

Kyle, great job! How did it fly off the wheels? I really need to get started on mine...Seaplane
Old 10-09-2003, 02:56 AM
Omurru

It flew pretty well of the wheels, as I said above I reckon some stiffer/thicker legs would be a good idea and some foam tyres (got the hollow rubber ones on it now and they are pretty flat at the bottom) had to land it real gentley to stop them bending out of shape and dunno how well the thinner ones would hold up on the grass.

Flew pretty good overall will be good to see how it flies of water, just waiting to get it back now......
Old 10-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Nice job! What does it weigh? Reminds me of the full scale Seawind.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:15 AM
Omurru

Weighs 6.5KG Dry which is about 14-15lb I think? Can carry 18ounces of fuel.....
Old 10-11-2003, 03:28 PM
RVman

Great job. How did you do the fuel system. Did you use a pump or have a tank behind the engine.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Omurru

Used dual 8oz tanks under the wing and a perry pump mounted behind the engine along with a 2oz tank.....works well
Old 10-22-2005, 05:16 AM
Strykaas

Omuru, could you please post pix of the pump installation ?

thx
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

That figures out to 40 oz per square foot wing loading. Be careful, or it'll bite ya.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Seeplaner

Seems about time to get this thread moving again. A pic of my number one Spectra II, from 1982 has hopefully uploaded. Built in the normal way, O.S. .61 & fuel tank in the tail.
Imanaged to shave a bit of weight off, compared to the RCM prototype. Spectra II, number two is just completed and has had 2 flights.
Y.S. .45 pumped in the tail, fuel tank bang on the C of G, elevator & throttle servos in the tail, 2 Futaba 3001's in the wings. Total weight, about 4.8 Kg. Only mod to the original plan lowered the engine pod somewhat, but still lots of clearance for a 10.5 diam prop. Noticeably less pitching moment from the lower thrust line. All in all, I think a very good way to build this model.
Hopefully pics of number two soon

Name:	Qn38180.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1514579  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Seeplaner

Finally got a bit of trim painted on the latest Spectra II.
Anyone else out there building or flying one of these?

Name:	Hf99441.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1516358  
The following users liked this post:
molder_71_465 (04-11-2020)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
LADDIE

Here is my 66†electric Spectra II built from my own plans.
Laddie.

Name:	Yw66764.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1516366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93807.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1516367  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Seeplaner

Electric certainly seems a great way to go with any of the rear mounted motor configurations, Spectra II, Seawind, Northstar and the like.
Staying with Glo motors, the YS pumped setup enables mounting the tank on the C of G, less compensating ballast and no trim change thru the flight.
Next small project will be an EDF of the Polaris.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Seeplaner

We have just had our usually wonderfull Seaplane weekend here inAlbury, Australia, but foul weather for 3 days which limited entries and flying. Spectra has flown again, attached a pic of the newest model, compare to 1982 pic in MAN, maybe a little less hair, maybe a bit more body. But the Model, I think, looks good

Name:	Om33363.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1519336  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 PM
BBailey711

Post Looking for a good copy of the MAN Spectra II PLANS

Looking for a good copy of the MAN Spectra II PLANS.

I was so excited to find the plan on Halstads Forum/Blog on RCGroups site about ALL RCMs Mags by Year and Month and their Plans. I bought this mag for the plan and took it with me into the Service during Vietnam. A fellow shop member asked to "Borrow" my mag. I told him no, that it was special to me as I was going to build the Plan, it was on the Cover. He promised to just read it and return it ... and the rest is history. I never saw the mag or Plan again, and I could not remember which Mag or Month, until I was going down Halstads RCM Blog List on RCGroups. I downloaded the Plan but it has a wide Strip in the middle that is white that I can fix, however I can't fix the scan. Let's just say the TEXT didn't make it. I have the plan, I just need a better one to read. I will pay for it being scanned and printed and sent to me. Most of the guys on RCGroups are now, or have been having a LOT of trouble getting their plans they order, and pay for, from RCM. Some have never received their Plans, others it took several years, others take very long periods and the lucky seem to get theirs within 3 to 4 months. I don't deal with shoddy business like that.

If anyone can assist me I would really appreciate it. That's one plane I REALLY want to build. I have a whole small Directory of a lot of "Seaplanes" both Old Timers and most newer ons. If there is enough interest I will Make a List and post it here. The START of this collection was to FIND the Spectra II.

Bill Bailey
Old 09-19-2015, 04:36 PM
BBailey711

I am and always have been a Balsa Builder but I want to try Foam. I am pretty much on my own here and I don't know what people mean by the names they give the foam. Is the Foam you built this Spectra out of the Blue 4' x 8' Building foam you buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, or other Building Supply? I have shaped small pieces from foam before, but for Plugs and such, HOW, or WHAT do you cover the foam with to seal it and prep it for painting? What do you GLUE it with?

Or is this for another Forum?

Bill Bailey
Old 09-20-2015, 02:02 AM
Seeplaner

I suspect you are better off in a building forum, but my 2c worth. I use white foam, hot wire cut, or shaped and sanded with 80 grit on offcuts of foam and glued with white glue or laminating epoxy. The blue foam is excellent for sanding, but, if you want to remove it after building, very difficult. It's a pity the RCM plans service can't get going properly, the demand is there.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:11 PM
BBailey711

Thank you so much for you "2c worth". Best of luck on your beautiful project. I will keep following to see some action shots. AND I will move to a Foam Builders Forum.

Bill Bailey
Old 10-03-2015, 08:43 PM
BBailey711

I am looking for some Planes. I thought I had some but they are not here yet. Yes, I will be building one. This has been my dream plane since I first saw it on the cover in Jan 1971. My mag was lost to another co-worker in the aircraft heavy maintenance shop during Vietnam and I have been looking for it ever since.

My plan for design is to build real light so I can cover the entire aircraft in fibreglass. I plan on posting here. Right now I am working on an X-Y-Z 4'X6' table and a Laser so I can get my Parts coming in.

More on my plane when I find the Planes.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 AM
LADDIE

Originally Posted by BBailey711
I am looking for some Planes. I thought I had some but they are not here yet. Yes, I will be building one. This has been my dream plane since I first saw it on the cover in Jan 1971. My mag was lost to another co-worker in the aircraft heavy maintenance shop during Vietnam and I have been looking for it ever since.

My plan for design is to build real light so I can cover the entire aircraft in fibreglass. I plan on posting here. Right now I am working on an X-Y-Z 4'X6' table and a Laser so I can get my Parts coming in.

More on my plane when I find the Planes.
You can get the plans from the Model Aviation magazine for 66" electric version.

Name:	scan0025.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2123424  
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 AM
PeterC

I have a set of the plans for the Spectra from RCM. They are a bootleg copy done on an engineering copier so they are of good quality. My attitude is that if the RCM plans service does not want to fulfill their orders they are opening the door to removal of copyright. I probably also have the magazine too.
Let me know if you are interested.
Peter
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM
downblast

Default RCM plans of Spectra

Originally Posted by PeterC
I have a set of the plans for the Spectra from RCM. They are a bootleg copy done on an engineering copier so they are of good quality. My attitude is that if the RCM plans service does not want to fulfill their orders they are opening the door to removal of copyright. I probably also have the magazine too.
Let me know if you are interested.
Peter
Hi Peter : I have been looking for a copy of RCM,s version of the Spectra. Will pay you for a copy of it or mailing costs or whatever. Please let me know via my E-mail site : nnisita@yahoo .com I have the magazine (somewhere?!?! in a box).
Downblast
Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 AM
PeterC

Hi downblast, My local copy house has a $20 minimum on reproductions so I am asking if any other readers would like a copy of the plans. There are two sheets approximately 3' X 5'. multiple copies would help lower the costs on a per unit basis. Shipping is also quite expensive so unless you insist I will be folding the drawings and putting them in a large envelope. I will probably ship via Purolator since there depot is close to where I live. This is a one shot offer since there is a lot of running around involved. Let's give it 10 days to see if there is any other interest. I will try my best to let anyone who wants these plans know the full cost before I ship. Payment can be made via e-transfer.
I will contact you via e-mail with details later.
Best of luck with your project.
Peter
Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
silverwings
My Feedback: (21)

hi PeterC. I would be interested in a set of plans and the article of the Spectra II. Let me know what the costs are and I will send you a money order or check, whichever you prefer.
Rick
Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
PeterC

Hi Rick, You are on the list. I'll keep you posted.
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.