Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace Seamaster 120

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Ace Seamaster 120

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Seamaster 120

Greetings,
On the shelf is a NIB Seamaster 120 and a friend also has one. I will be building both for flight next year. I plan to install a gas engine and was wondering if a Zenoah 26 CC is enough engine for this plane. Alternative would be a BME 50 cc which I know would be enough (probably too much and may require a 3 blade to work) at about the same weight. Reasons for these two engines is they are both available and I don't want to buy another for a plane that will only be flown a few times a year.

Any other information appreciated.

EXCAP232
Old 10-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Windy

Default RE: Ace Seamaster 120

I fly mine with a Zenoah G-38. It is a nice easy flyer, will have difficulty doing a loop unless you either build some speed with a slight dive or use elevons at top of loop. It also has a very agressive drop at idle, and will have to land with some throttle to have a nice easy touch down and run out.
Good Luck on your building
Old 10-13-2003, 10:50 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Many of these required enlarging the vertical fin/rudder substantially to get reasonable yaw stability. They are also quite heavy so use the lightest engine you can.

Jim
Old 11-12-2003, 06:57 AM
FLYINW

I also have one in the box, thinking about building now and looking for the optional Ace landing gear kit P/N 25K231. Know of any floating around? E-mail: [email protected] Thanks - JW.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44 PM
anthonydineen
My Feedback: (1)

FLYINW,

any idea where i can get an instructiom manual for a 120 seamaster?

Tony
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 AM
PeterC

There's a very extensive thread on this site elsewhere which should answer all of the questions you might encounter. I fly mine with a ST 3000 and am very pleased with it's performance although I haven't tried any aerobatics. I don't have a lot of faith in the wing joiner.
It's a very heavy plane when finished so do whatever you can do to reduce excess baggage and take the advice of those who have added additional fin area at the rear. My first piece of advice regarding construction would be to stick build a stab get rid of all that plywood.
Peter
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM
chistech

There is currently one NIB on Flee Bay right now.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM
FLYINW

I may be interested, what's Flee Bay?
Flee Bay.com ??
Thanks for the info. - JW / Flyin W
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
FLYINW

I found a Fleabay.net, I did a search for it but no results ??
Can you be specific on what to search ?
Thanks again JW

Last edited by FLYINW; 11-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Ebay
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
FLYINW

OK and thanks GBT2

JW
Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM
chistech

Sorry, been away on vacation. It is eBay like stated above. It is expensive though. You can always message the seller and tell them you will make them an offer if it doesn't sell. It has worked for me in the past.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Ace-...item2c763c6e23

Just saw one down in central FL. It is used, built of course, and about a 7 though I would say flyable right now. It is hanging from the ceiling of a hobby shop. The price was pretty cheap I thought as I'm pretty sure it had an engine on it but not sure of any radio gear. Price was $150 and the hs was Noell's in Wildwood FL. They are good guys down there. Not sure about Greyhound but CA is a good distance away.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:30 AM
FLYINW

Been away for a week or so, thanks (CHISTECH) for the info
and appreciate any more Seamaster 120 talk - JW
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Rixter

I have been flying my Seamaster120 for over 12 years. I really enjoy flying it. I powered it with a G-38 and like the performance. It will do tight to medium loops, spins, inverted and knife edge. To get it to spin you should start with it a little tail heavy. Come across the lake and go vertical at center stage. Hold full throttle and just as you are about to run out of steam, give her just enough elevator to go inverted while adding all the right rudder you have (mine likes to spin right). The first time I tried this was at a fly in at Gun Lake in MI. It went into a deep spin and would not come out. I was banging sticks while watching it go down and pulled the throttle back when I thought she was going in. It instantly recovered nose down. I jammed the throttle back forward and bent the elevator stick back. She pulled out of the dive 2 feet off the water. Of course the other flyers thought this was all planed and cheered. I landed, took my bows then walked to the car to look for some clean underwear. I have the most fun though doing tight knife edge circles about 10' off the water. She locks into this maneuver rock solid and it looks really cool. I've never had a problem with the wing joiner, however I did break the fuselage between the step and empennage on a particularly hard touch and go. I also landed dead stick at Brighton one year when the bearing on the G-38 locked up. It was so far out in the lake that I couldn't judge when to flair, but when I got out to her she was floating high and dry. I covered the wing and horizontal stab with Monocote and used 21st Century Super Coverite on the fuse and vertical stab. I painted the Super Coverite with auto paint. I think that the extra strength derived from the cloth on the fuse helps a lot. I need to do some repairs on it now because a stupid mouse got into one of the wing halves and ate holes into a bunch of the ribs. I will use the opportunity to replace the servos, check the hinges, recover and Etc.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
jcrosk

Does anyone cut a kit for Seamaster 120? I have the plans and forms but free time is something I have very little of.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM
phillfix

I did have some issues with the rigging angles now sorted this plane flys just fine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 118.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1,021.7 KB
ID:	1984480   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 119.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1984481  
Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try A&M models for a kit cutter.He cut some Hostetler parts and several kits for me. Never disappointed.