Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

LT-40 on floats + Snow = HUGE FUN!

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

LT-40 on floats + Snow = HUGE FUN!

Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT-40 on floats + Snow = HUGE FUN!

I scratch built a foam core balsa/ply sheeted set of floats last March. Never got them wet all season. I don 't have a lake in the near vicinity. Anyway, we have a bout 4 or 5 inches of powdery snow here in the northern plains, so I thought I'd give em a go in the snow. I'm sure glad I did! What a blast! The colder air made for very stable flights, even with the extra 1 1/2 pounds the floats added. I bet I did 200 take offs and landings yesterday on 4 tanks of fuel. Never had so much fun landing. I think I'll take my scratch built skis and chuck them in the garbage. Floats work SOOOO much better. Especially in light fluffy snow. If you've always wanted to try snow flying, floats can't be beat!

It kind of inspired me to build an airboat for snow use. So now I gotta add that to my 'to do' list.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT-40 on floats + Snow = HUGE FUN!

Heheeee Deadeye - I've been saying that for years. Try to go through boot (or anything) tracks with skis and your stuck. Also there's the constant battle to keep the tips of the skis up and at the right angle. Floats are where it's at. The only negative I've found with flying floats in winter is if your surface is real icy. Like hard crusted ice, or a frozen lake with no snow. This situation causes a bit of wear on your step. All else is good though, and on the bare lakes I just go out with my wheels now. It is kind of cool flying that way because if there is a some cross wind you can really get the plane skating sideways. Very funny!
Old 11-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Deadeye.

I was planning on doing that this year with my Modelfly Cessna.

Do you use the water rudder at all or just leave it off???
Old 11-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My watter rudder is hinged with a rubber band, so it flips up if there is too much resistance. It is no help in the snow, maybe one that went deeper would work. But steering wasn't a problem anyway. After I got used to the delayed response, taxiing was very controllable. In fact, when I got back into town, I went over to a football field a few blocks away and zipped around on the ground with the wings off. It's a blast plowing through the drifts. It even climbs hills. It must do 35 mph or so on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72543.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	74952  
Old 11-24-2003, 12:20 AM
All Thumbs

Glad that seems to work so well. This will be my first winter with my floats and I just gotta try that. Since they're red, I was thinking about ironing on a strip of white monokote to the keel to keep an eye on the wear. Now I've got a reason to go play in the snow!