Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Salt water

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Salt water

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:22 AM
john flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt water

Gidday all, I'm interested in putting some floats on my plane but freshwater lakes in my area are as rare as chicken lips. However, I live in tropical North Queensland and have access to miles and miles of tranquil waters but it's all salty. Could anyone tell me of their experiences with salt water and their fly machines. I'm thinking that salty spray and air will damage some components, especially the electronics. What matainance is required to prevent corrosion and what are the ideal components to operate control surfaces in these conditions (clevises and pushrods must rust). Looking forward to any replies. Kind regards, John.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:22 PM
HvyDrvr
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Salt water

I would NOT do it, fly off of saltwater that is. A buddy of mine tried it ONCE. Even after cleaning all the water and moisture off after flying, by the next day it was evident that corrosion had set in wherever it could. He ended up losing the receiver and servos, along with all the hardware. Basically only had the non corrosive parts left. A lesson learned!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:08 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try this agin, I've written two long replies and they don't go through....

Wrap your receiver and battery in paper towels and then wrap each in plastic bags sealed with rubber bands, mount the switch inside the fuse and use a wire to turn it on and off. Use a charge recepticle that has a sealing flap over it like the Ernst ones. Mount all servos inside, if outside use waterproof ones and RTV to seal them better, use grease around the output shafts.

Use RTV to seal any openings, if you can permanently put the wing on RTV it in place.

You can't do anything for the hardware and engine except post flight cleaning, after you fly hose off the whole airplane. Then dry it and run the engine to operating temperature. after that oil the engine and any hardware.

It is worth the trouble to fly off water, you'll enjoy it, many of us do....
Old 01-06-2004, 07:21 PM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

I have flown from salt water... and have the radio and aircraft to this day...What Evan said is good info... Use Vaseline on all your connections( and fill all empty receiver slots with it ).. A high wing aircraft is best.. with torque rod ailerons ( servos outside the fuse ain't gona make it )...Also use Vaseline on all connectors and pushrod exits...And last but not least .... put spray rails on the inside of the floats ( the last thing you need is the prop hitting the salt and flinging it every were )......
Old 01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
john flynn

Excellent input fellas, my current plane is a high wing sports/ trainer model with wing mounted servos for the ailerons. From what you's have told me, setting this plane up with floats to fly of salt water would require to many changes. I'd like to purchase the Lanier Mariner in a 40 size and give it a go. I've just read a review of the 120 in the new FLY RC magazine and I like it's looks very much. Thanks for the info guys, I'll put it to good use when I get my Lanier Mariner. kind regards, John.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Happydog

I fly my Ace Seamaster off salt water frequently with only great results. All the info given is right on. I hose the plane down after each flight, pull off the wings, check for any water in the fuselage (usually none), and then make sure to run the engine and cut off fuel. Then I spray the engine with 2-4 D oil. I then run "after oil" into the engine via the glow plug. I have no outside connections for charging or switches. All are located inside the forward hatch. I use double sided sponge tape for the wing saddle to make sure that no water enters the fuselage. The battery and receiver are wraped within plastic bags. Plane flys great, lands smoothly and taxis right up to my beach front home on Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Water must be very smooth, nearly flat.
Have a great time, Happydog.