Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Sea Monster

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sea Monster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sea Monster

The wife, knowing I just started flying seaplanes after 99 (it seems like) years of acro, bought me a Sportsman Aviation Sea Monster ARF kit for Christmas. it appears to be a Sea Master look-alike with a few mods. The kit looks pretty good as ARFs go.

Here are some nice things I noticed about the kit:
-The bottom of the fuselage from the step forward is fiberglass.
-The T-tail is held to the fin by 2 L brackets and 6 bolts.
-The pod mast (whatever) is 3/8 thick with 1/8 ply sides and a 1/8 fiberglass center.
-The hardware package is good with pull-pull cables for the rudder, plastic clevices with metal pins, landing gear, tail wheel bracket, wheels if you want to fly off the turf, fiberglass front and rear pod covers.

Things I didn't like:
-It's nearly all white and I can't see white very well in the air. I am going to have to stick some more color on it.
-The tip floats attach with double stick foam tape. This may be the norm, I don't know.

I am using a Saito .72 for power and I'll report more after I fly it.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
JimCasey

Default RE: Sea Monster

It appears from photos that the SM has a v-bottom.
My experience is that flat-bottom planes wil always skip at least once even if you greeeeeeease the landing. V-bottoms give you a little more cushion. The water does not lie.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Ed_Moorman

Yes, it does have a V bottom. I'm still a rookie at this, but I do remember the float fly I went to and my Sea Fazer with V-bottom floats landed nicely and the Sea Master there skipped. I attributed it to the fact that I just happened to luck into a good landing.

I also just received a Beast kit. It has a flat bottom center float with tip floats and is a flying wing to boot.

Lots of sea planes, got to have lots of sea planes.

You are going to e-mail me if there is a float fly up your way, aren't you?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:49 AM
JimCasey

>>You are going to e-mail me if there is a float fly up your way, aren't you? <<
Yep, when I hear of an organized float-fly I will make a lot of noise. Since moving to TN in August, I have not had a chance to fly my floatplanes, and I miss it a bunch. My old club in FL, the Florida Float Flyers, was one of only two floats-only clubs I have been able to identify. (The other is in Lake Havasu city, AZ.) We used to fly every Saturday.

The Knoxville club has organized float flys in the spring and fall, and I am keeping feelers out to the local TN clubs hoping to hear about other splash-ins.

--topic change--

A good float landing:
You set up the airplane about a foot high, trimmed for level flight, and reduce power to about 5 rpm less than it takes to maintain altitude. The airplane floats in ground effect for a while then you notice that the floats are making a wake on the water. The water drag continues to slow the plane down until it drops off the step. THEN reduce power and taxi. (I have only gotten this right about twice).

ALmost as good: you notice the water rudders touching the surface of the water, then the step touches without skipping, leaving one continuous wake for each float.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beast wing??......

Hey Ed,
where can I find info on the "Beast" wing you mentioned?
Sounds very interesting!

Thanks!
Pud
Old 01-10-2004, 09:38 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Jim,

I think you going to see some more float flies here at the KCRC site..
I'm a member and part of the pattern crowd but am going to build a seamaster with a few changes, for the next float fly..

Scott Anderson
AMA Cd 227026
Old 01-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Ed_Moorman

Default RE: Beast wing??......

Here's the URL for the Beast.
[link=http://users.cwnet.com/zdgreg/Mainpage.html]The Beast flying wing float plane[/link]

In addition, the same designer has plane in the Model Airplane News plans catalog for a twin float design called the 2 Ugly.

The Beast has a 48" span and 720 sq. in. area. I have been e-mailing Ron, who sells the kits, and he says a .46 will be at the low end of power. A .61 is in the middle, but most people favor a 4-stroke .91. Since I sometimes fly in brackish water, I am going to use an OS .91FX. I'd rather have it get corroded than a nice 4-stroke .91.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Beast wing??......

Cool!
Thanks Ed!!

Pud
Old 05-05-2004, 09:13 PM
lmcp

This is one pretty plane. The "v" bottom and the high elevator are both the improvements that these flying boats needed. It seems that all the good stuff went into Sea Monster. Where can I get a set of plans for this plane? I'm a builder, but not so good that I don't need a set of plans.

How about some pics of the "Beast?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Ed_Moorman

The Monster is an ARF only-no plans.

The Beast is still in work.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Harry Landings
My Feedback: (8)

Another improvement the Monster has over the Master is that, on wheels, it is a tail-dragger and you don't need to deal with that *%#$! nose-wheel.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Ed,

Those "L" brackets are a great idea. I recognized the weakness of the tail assembly on my Seamaster and fitted the horizontal stab with flying wires extending to the bottom of the fuselage. I had a Saito 56 in mine and it was way underpowered. On wheels it took ALL of of our 300 foot grass runway to get off the ground. I don't think it would have taken off on water. I never got to try because on one take off attempt I forced it off the ground, it stalled miserably and crashed. The tail feathers were the only part of the fuselage that wasn't destroyed.

The Seamaster wing tip floats are attached with Velcro. It makes then easily removable when flying off land.

I think the 72 will be a pefect engine for the Sea Monster!

Have fun

Bob
Old 06-04-2004, 12:05 AM
rcairplanenut

where is the float plane club in Florida, im in the Daytona area?

SGG
Old 06-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Ed_Moorman

The Florida Float Fliers are located just east of Tampa.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 AM
GRANT ED

Hey guys. Would a TT 46 pro be enough engine for this plane?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:34 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Meesh

I had a Saito 56 in mine and it was way underpowered. On wheels it took ALL of of our 300 foot grass runway to get off the ground. I don't think it would have taken off on water.

The Seamaster wing tip floats are attached with Velcro. It makes then easily removable when flying off land.

Bob
I think you will find that water, while offering more resistance than hard surface, is easier to take off from than grass. Once you are on the step it behaves like hard surface.

On my Seamaster, I kept losing the tip floats in the water until I ran velgro the full length of the tip float and this solved the problem.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Ed_Moorman

The TT .46Pro would be plenty of engine. I had a Saito .72 handy so I used it. You can see from the photos that I am using a 3-bladed prop, a 12-6 in this case. A 12 inch prop is all that will clear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33725.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	141680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17075.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	141681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47880.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	141682  
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
lmcp

The pictures sure confirm what a sweet looking plane this one turned out to be. Maybe after building all the kits in the attic, I'll take on this one.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:11 PM
lmcp

My Sea monster will be delivered tomorrow, 3/7/05, and i already sawthe model right out of the box. I didn't like the way the outer pontoons are attached either. What do you think would be a better way. I do like the idea of them coming off in a tip dip landing, but I believe good velcro would be a better soultion. Larry
Old 03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
proptop

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine w/ the provided double sticky servo tape and they're holding up fine so far...
Been flying it for over a year now too...

I did use a little clear packing tape at the L.E. to keep some water from getting in there.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:33 PM
mikemedic2

Hi guys;
I just got my sea monster today. I'm gonna power it with a la 46 that i have lying around. One question though? What did everyone use to water proof the ship. IE wing saddle and such? And If i may what if any problems has anyone encountered?
Thank you in advance
mike
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM
proptop

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used silicone sealer for the wing saddle...if you already know how to do that let us know, or we'll tell ya how.
I balanced mine a little ahead of the recommended point.
Grease the elev. wire good before you put it in or it'll rust and bind up. Better yet, replace it with a "Goldenrod" or similar.
Mine's been a good and dependable airplane, but some of the covering came off from the top of the fuse. where all the oil spews from the muff. I'd make sure you iron down the covering real good before you fly it...
It flys very well and is really manuverable, and has pretty good manners on the water.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 AM
mikemedic2

Hi proptop;
Thanks for the reply. I do know how to silicon it so I will do that. and thanks for the other info, can't wait to get her built.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 AM
lmcp

I've got about 10 flights on my new Sea Monster and I love the stunts. It does all the fancy stuff with ease and settles on the water like a feather. I used thinned epoxy to waterproof the inside. Those outriggers on the wing tips are put on with double sided tape and wouldn't you know it; I lost one of them on the third flight. A quick build and it's OK now. I laid down a bead of Goop around the edges of each and they are solid. A bit os vaseline on the exit holes for the pull-pull cables helps waterproofing, and I also used it on the wing saddle. All in all you'll find it to be a beautiful well designed plane that provides all the fun you want.

Larry
Old 05-06-2005, 03:08 PM
mikemedic2

Hi Larry;
Thanks for your input. I did a lot of research on these forums and couldn't decide between the monster or master. They both came out with a lot of positive feedback. It came down to my LHS had a monster in stock, plus I really wanted a V hull.
I am sure glad I found these forums, they have been a huge help, and it is really great how much people are willing to take the time to help you out in here. My hat is off to all of you.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.