Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Republic Seabee

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Republic Seabee

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:43 PM
ArthurR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Republic Seabee

Does anyone have information on CG for the Seabee?
I have one almost ready to fly but can't get the CG anywhere close.

HELP
Old 01-10-2004, 01:28 PM
smedsky

Default RE: Republic Seabee

The RCM plans have it 2 3/16" back from the leading edge on a 6 1/2" inch chord.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:30 PM
ArthurR

Default RE: <span class=

Smedsky,
Thanks for your reply. Would you be so kind as to either look at the plans you have, or direct me to them, ane see if there is any special notes on CG?

Mine is balancing properly with the engine placed 14 inches forward of where it's supposed to!!

Obviously something is very wrong.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 05:17 PM
smedsky

Everything I have gathered from the RCM plans and RCU threads is that balance is a problem.
I have seen a sketch with an antenna like probe sticking out the front with a weight in it to get some weight forward without adding pounds to the plane. The probe I saw was about 10" long.
I am about to start covering mine so a haven't tackled the balance problem yet but I expect it to hit me like all the others. I am using a ST 23 lik on the plans, but I can already see that I will have the problem.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The real Seabee had the engine mounted forward and used a shaft extention about 2' long...
Old 01-11-2004, 09:25 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

From what I hear the real Seabee was a "Climb at 90, fly at 90, land at 90" airplane. Must have had an on/off switch for the throttle
Old 01-11-2004, 01:27 PM
ArthurR

JL1 et al,

Thanks for the replay. I knew it must be somthing very unusual to be so far out of balance. One hint, since you haven't yet covered your kit; don't cover it until you get the CG problem solved! You may need structural support for the weight boom.

The idea of a weighted probe extending well ahead of the fuse is outstanding. It was amazing just how much weight and how far it was extended to get proper balance. My engine is not heavy, being an OS.50SX. With a more typical 4C the solution will be even more extreme.

When we finally get these things flying, we'll have little worry of seeing others with the same plane at the lake! No wonder mine had never been flown when I bought it.