Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Sea Bird....wish I'd read this forum sooner

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sea Bird....wish I'd read this forum sooner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:46 AM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Bird....wish I'd read this forum sooner

Hi all,
A few months ago when it was still warm out I decided that I needed to get some floats for my Superstar so I could fly off of beautiful Lake Sinclair which I live on. I'm still fairly new to flying and just moving up to my "second" plane from my trainer. I figured flying off the lake would be a good way to get in some stick time when I couldn't get out to the field. The first thing I tried was ordering some GP .40 size floats. I still have them sitting in the box untouched. No problem to build them but it seemed a daunting task to figure out how to position them on the plane properly. Besides, I decided I wanted a "boat" plane anyway so, being on a budget, I ordered a Lanier Sea Bird. First of all, it sure didn't seem like much of an ARF. I tired of fooling with it and put it aside half built until today. I was just starting to think about working on it again and then I logged in on the seaplane forum for the first time. Now after reading what most everyone has to say about the Sea Bird, I don't think I even want to waste my time trying to finish it up. It's supposed to be a .40 sized plane and from what I can gather it would take a .60 to get it airborne, if then. I'm seriously thinking of ordering a Mariner .40 now. From what I'm reading, it appears to be a nice plane. I'm open to any advice or suggestions I can get though. I just wish I'd read this forum months ago!
Regards,
Michael
Old 01-17-2004, 05:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Sea Bird....wish I'd read this forum sooner

I am not familliar with the Sea Bird, but I can tell you that the Mariner is an excellent first venture into water flying.

Check out the review:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=154
Old 01-18-2004, 12:31 AM
sky_dancer

I'm going to get the Mariner .40 on Tuesday after work. The wife kept me busy today and I couldn't get to the hobby shop and he won't be open again till Tuesday. I can't complain though. After all, she is buying me the plane. I just need to figure out which engine I want to get for it now.
Regards,
Michael
Old 01-19-2004, 05:37 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Seabird, and it flew OK with a Fox 60 and hull mods (spray strips to keep the spray down).
I've seen the Mariner and the look nice and fly well.
Consider also the ARTF Seamaster by Thunder Tiger. They go with a 40 but I'd suggest a 46.
Either of these are better than a Seabird.

Alasdair
Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 AM
sky_dancer

For the Mariner I'm thinking on an O.S. .46FX or whatevever the replacement is for it. The .46FX has been discontinued. I was also looking at the GMS engines as well. Maybe someday I'll finish the Sea Bird and put a .60 on it and do some experimenting but for now I want something that will fly right "out of the box" so to speak.
Regards,
Michael
Old 01-19-2004, 10:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any good 46 will be great in the Mariner. I used an old OS in the beginning, and later switched it to an Evolution. Both worked great.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:16 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

I haven't read what has been said about the Lanier Sea Bird but will agree with the spray strips (chines?) as mine had lots of spray. I did however fly it with a strong .46 size glow engine and thought it was fine. Also being from the north I can say it is the best snow plane in my hanger.
Tim
Old 01-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sky-dancer,

I ran a little test on the new OS .46AX vs. the GMS .47 and the Magnum .52. I think you'll like the AX better than the GMS, if you don't mind the extra cost. Here's the URL in the engine forum. With either engine you'll gain rpm with a Tower .46 muffler. Look for 700-800 rpm.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1388761/mpage_1/key_ax%252Dgms/anchor/tm.htm#1388761]OS AX-GMS-Magnum Test[/link]
Old 02-17-2004, 08:20 AM
DougX

Hi, I would love to buy or trade you for your sea bird. Please let me know if your interested.

Thanks,

Doug