Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Got my Mariner .40!!

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Got my Mariner .40!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Mariner .40!!

Hi all,
Well I went to the LHS and picked up my Mariner. They had all three colors there and I ended up getting the yellow. I must say though that the yellow is pretty orange looking to me even though my wife swears to me it's yellow. I t makes me wonder what the orange plane looks like. I also bought an O.S. .46AX for it. The engine looks pretty much like the FX but the muffler is kind of boxy looking. Im fact, the words P BOX are embossed onto the muffler. Maybe it's quieter though, I'll have to see. I'll let yall know how things go. It's going to be a busy next couple of months for me seeing as I also just ordered a Burrito profile plane. I spend too much time on this sight and the profile brotherhood has already sucked me in even though I'm not a 3D flyer yet. Ahh well, time to go finish redoing my field box, cleaning my shop etc. etc. Busy Busy Busy...
Regards,
Michael
Old 01-21-2004, 06:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Got my Mariner .40!!

You're gonna love it!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
MadDriver

As I posted earlier, I just got mine also... waiting for my servos to get here before I start building though. Keep me posted on how things are going. I've read that review about 50,000 times now... I'm so mad that it's not built yet. Can't wait...
Old 01-24-2004, 06:03 PM
MinnFlyer

One thing I will point out is to make sure you get a good glue joint on the ventral fin. I cheated and poked holes in the covering and used CA, I wound up having it come loose (yea, I know, I should have followed the instructions). Remove a strip of covering and glue it right to the wood! (You just got a rare "Behind the Scenes" Sneak Peak at a review! LOL)
Old 01-28-2004, 12:05 AM
alpine
My Feedback: (1)

Mike B. I just joined the Float club in my home town, I am building a Goldberg Cub but after seeing your reviews and all the postings here I am going to look into getting a Mariner 40 and use a FX 46 on it. You guys really lit up a fire for the Mariner .
Thank you,
Roberto.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:50 PM
MinnFlyer

The Goldberg Cub is a real joy to fly on Floats. But th floats add so much drag that it really slows it down and puts a real damper on aerobatics.

But the Mariner and Seamaster don't have that problem, so while the Goldberg is a "Joy" to fly, the Mariner and Seamaster are a "Blast"
Old 02-02-2004, 05:10 PM
On Edge

Can someone please point me to the review of the Mariner .40? I just saw the plane in my Model Aviation mag. Looks pretty cool!

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 02-02-2004, 08:02 PM
MadDriver

Have you already tried the Reviews page? I believe it's on the second page of those!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:22 PM
On Edge

Hi MadDriver,

I found it! Took a little searching around, I haven't been on RC Universe since the remodel

The plane sounds like a pretty good little plane. Is it, however, worth the Tower Hobby price of $259.99. This seems a little steep for a .40 sized plane - no? I didn't pay much more for my Hangar9 Edge 540!

Jeff
Old 02-03-2004, 12:12 PM
MinnFlyer

As far as the price tag goes... that's your call. During the review process I didn't see anything that would suggest that it was inferior in any way, and the quality was excellent, so it's a matter of "Is it worth that much to you?"
Old 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
On Edge

I was just wondering if other's thought it was a little pricey or worth every penny? Looking for comments from owners.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 PM
MadDriver

I'm still waiting on those servos to come in. Today was the last day of the timeline they gave me that I should expect. So, I'll give them a call tomorrow just to make sure nothing happened! Since I haven't really built too much of the plane, in fact, all I have done are the hinges... I can't say too much about the plane, except for the fact that it looks like it's a real winner!!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 AM
MinnFlyer

Well, I'll put it this way. It's one of my favorite seaplanes, and there IS quite a bit of workmanship involved that you wouldn't have on a "Land" plane (Like The hull bottom, Engine Mast/Pod, splash guards, Wing Floats, etc). So I would certainly say that the price is justified.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:51 AM
On Edge

MinnFlyer,

You make a good point!

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 02-07-2004, 07:39 PM
MadDriver

Just got my servos in today... just a couple days late. I just started mounting them on one wing. Can't wait til I get the whole wing done, which shouldn't take too long.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guys---John here from Calif. Just some caution on the Mariner 40. My wife bought me one for my birthday in Sept. 03. Had it in the water by mid October. I just loved it. It was everything Mikes' review said it would be. It will do anything your fingers can make it do--and lands like a baby--no bounce. I could water ski mine as long as the pond at full throttle, then a touch of up elevator and it was off. Or I could take off as quick as 15 or 20 ft. But on Christmas day I was flying and flutter took it to airplane heaven. I was headed for the pond at about a 45 degree angle, full throttle like always. About 10 or 15 ft above the water a gave it a little up as usual. then I heard the flutter and it dove straight in. AS I paddled out to it I expected to see the elevator horn broken or at least un-hooked. But, what I found is that the glue joint between the elevator halves had failed. Lanier had used CA glue here instead of epoxy. Water got in under the covering and the CA couldn't handle that. To make matters worse, the engine pod broke off and sank !! I sent the elevator halves to Lanier with my explanation--All they had to say was that their warrenty policy was for 90 days !! " Like--Go pound Salt" !!! So, it was about a $500.00 crash !! But, I will have another one, 'cause I really loved how it flys--lands--touch n goes--and all that float flyin' stuff. But when I get my next one (soon) I will uncover the elevator halves, re-glue them with epoxy and re-cover them before it ever sees the water. WE learn as we go, EH ??
Old 02-20-2004, 12:18 PM
MinnFlyer

Interesting point John.

All of our water here is of the Hard White variety right now, but I will definately give that a look before flying it next spring. (Average lake thaw here: April 20)
Old 06-08-2004, 06:23 PM
sky_dancer

Wow!
Here it is June and my Mariner still sits untouched in the box! I was searching back through old post and found this thread. I guess this is what happens when your family gets hit with medical problems. We've had more than we can handle here this year as my brother and my wife have both been battling some pretty serious illnesses. Things have settled down and right now I'm on a "foamy" electric project but the Mariner will go together and fly soon. I haven't had hardly any stick time this year and the one time i did go I took my trainer to brush up on my flying and fought a misadjusted elevator for two flights. Then I ran through a plastic fence trying to take off. I was so thouroughly embarassed that I gave up at that point. I t was like I had all the nerves again from my first solo. Luckily it didn't hurt the trainer. Hope everyone is having fun. I'll let you know when I do finally finish the Mariner and fly it.
Regards,
Michael
Old 06-12-2004, 10:29 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

I finished my mariner 40 a couple weeks ago, but still haven't managed to get near any suitable water when the weather has been decent. I ran the engine (Magnum .45) in my front yard and it seems to be a very strong puller. Should handle the aircraft just fine. If the image comes through, you can see that my daughter was all set to go flying. If my weekend keep getting tied up like they have been, I may have to burn a vacation day for this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22342.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	142518  
Old 06-12-2004, 10:34 PM
sky_dancer

Nice job on the plane. Mine is yellow and I'm starting work on it tommorow. Your daughter looks all fired up to go. She's very cute.
Good luck on the maiden flight and have fun!
Michael
Old 06-13-2004, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer

clolson, she's a beauty! (and the Mariner looks good too )