Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats questions guys

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats questions guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats questions guys

Hi guys. I am putting my sturdy birdy II on floats just for kicks. Its an old plane and I want to possibly make another AP ship. My question is:
I have had pink foam floats made. A LHS makes them out of house siding insulation sorta stuff. He said to cover them with Balsa sheeting. Then monokote. How do I make sure its sealed up and what thickness balsa do you use ? Just coat the bottom or the whole sides and all ? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Floats questions guys

It's probably a good idea to seal the balsa with balsarite, and pre-cover all the edges with 1/2" wide strips of monokote. The edges are the most likely to get nicked, and the extra layer is insurance.

I use 1/16" balsa on 45" floats, but would use thicker balsa on anything larger. I also use 1/16 ply on the 3" of the bottom just in front of the step, and the transom. On the bottom, it takes the load when the airplane is sitting on it, particularly in transit. On the transoms, it gives you a place to attach the water rudders.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Dart373

What is Balsarite ?? I am thinking of going out and finding a fiberglass place and cover it with very thing fiberglass, then paint them.. Any suggestions there ?I did use 1/16" . I went double thick on transom for the WR.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig 3/4 ounce glass cloth is good. Put glass cloth on with laminating epoxy, which is much thinner than epoxy glue. DONT use polyester resin unless you like your foam floats melted. (Not usually considered good)

Balsarite is a brush-on product that dries to leave a film of heat-activated adhesive that makes your film covering stick really well. Balsarite for film is what you use for monokote/Ultracote. Use regular balsarite for micafilm, which has no ashesive of its own.

Sig glass cloth, laminating epoxy, and Balsarite are all available at your local hobby shop.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Dart373

Jim, I coated them, and am about to sand them, and prime and just fuel proof paint them. I think it will look the best. I glued in and mounted my tabs for the landing gear also, I figured epoxy over the tabs wont hurt.