Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:41 PM
rcairplanenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

I am now waiting on UPS and Balsa USA to deliver the rest of the wood required to complete the plane.

sgg
Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
rcairplanenut

Update,

Tower Order showed up 2day, Engine, Monokote, Servos.

Balsa should be here later this week.

SGG
Old 06-17-2004, 11:31 PM
rcairplanenut

Balsa is here,

Wings are reddy for sheeting

SGG
Old 06-18-2004, 07:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, that whole fuse is a stick frame?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:31 PM
rcairplanenut

Hi all more progress,

Laddie M. has the plans showing balsa sheets and formers to build the fuse not a truss.
His method is good, however I have built more airplanes then I can count and if you want to get the alignment perfect on the first shot a truss built on a level plane is the best way to go for one time builds. I also have an Aeronautical Engineering degree so taking on the truss is no big deal. Even the way I am building the Arrow is extremely easy, its just a bunch of cutting of ¼†balsa sticks that is easily done with one swath of a razor blade. Laddie has 1/8†sheeting on the sides, I reduced it to 3/32 because of the truss. The “longerons are made of ¼â€2 Poplar, the uprights and diagonals are made from balsa. The other big mod is building duel “A†frames that will be bonded to the fuse. There are distribution plates in the rear that will support the “A†frames. I drive a truck so I do not need removable wings, this will save some weight and make the plane more water tight.

The Arrow is Extremely easy to build no mater if you build it to plans or the way I did. There are only 7 ribs per wing panel its hard to beat that, no tail boom, no elevator exc…………….. the only extra work you have to do to make it a sea plane is a good water tight monokote job.

Some pics of the plane so far, and no the pod is not glued to the fuse I just haven’t built the pylon for it yet.

SGG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36403.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	144886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84542.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	144887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70157.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	144888  
Old 06-19-2004, 01:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:02 PM
rcairplanenut

2days progress

Wing and engine pod is attached but not glued to the fuse yet.

SGG

Name:	Jh15030.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	145552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96962.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	145553  
Old 06-21-2004, 07:30 AM
rcairplanenut

Close up on the duel "A" frame

Name:	Mk25858.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	145633  
Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Villy

Spencer

Looking good!!

What's missing though is the "jag" in the wing that the real Arrow (CF-105) had. It's going to stop the nastiness that happens when you hit 1500 mph!!!

I wonder how it would affect the flying characteristics - would look really neat though!!

Villy
Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
rcairplanenut

I think i might put curved wing tips on it.

Good news my K&B .65 and GMS .61 have the same mounting pattern, I am first going to try flying the plane with the K&B because it is 6oz lighter then the GMS. If it needs more power ill switch to the GMS

SGG
Old 06-22-2004, 12:52 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

The "ARROW" as you say is a NEW item from Laddie.

He has had 4 -5 kits all available from BALSA USA however, when I spoke to them last week they told me that they were NOT going to be carrying any more NEW designs of his. What they did do however, is t hey gave me his home telephone number. As luck would have it, he only lives a short distance from me. So I gave him a call. Needless to say, he wasn't in at the time.

Anyway, all of his designs are pretty complex.

I scanned the print from RCM and I blew it up to full size. (36" printer) The original in the magazine looks fairly sharp to our naked eye but when its blown up, it's really not too readable. The basic lines are OK to make out but the words and letters are bad.

PRINTS are available f r om RCM but they only give you a copy of the magazine article. When I emailed Laddie, I asked him if and when or better yet, where can I get a respectable assembly booklet like the ones that BALSA USA sends out with their blueprints and kits.

Once I he ar from him, I'l l get back to you. ee,i
Old 06-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Villy

I wonder why ?? Maybe they are perturbed that he has obsoleted the North Star - as if they didn't get enough mileage out of it.... (Of course the real answer might be that they still have 400 North Stars in stock, and no way are they going to admit that they might carry the Arrow until they are (mostly) gone.

I was quite amazed at how popular the North Star was - didn't realize it of course until I started searching the net for information. It would be nice if someone would offer to set up a web site for Laddie - I think that his creations are not popularized enough outside the area that is within reasonable travelling distance of 905..

I still think that the JAG in the wing a la the CF-105 would be a neat addition... Anyone have any thoughts on how it might effect the flying characteristics ??

Villy
Old 06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
rcairplanenut

I have a North Star, the plans to the Aquabird and I am building an Arrow right now. If there are any questions on how his planes go together I should be able to answer them. The pictures of the fuse that i am working on is a modification to his design.

For people thinking about building the Arrow i would recomend it.

SGG
Old 06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
lnjfarms

How did you guys get plans I ordered mine on the 5th and am still waiting for them what is up with RCM plan service??
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 PM
rcairplanenut

Mine took 2 to 3 weeks to get to me

I would just call them up and ask for a tracking number

SG
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM
rcairplanenut

2 days progress

Wing tips, servo rails, bottom fuse skin, engine cowl, antenna tube

SGG
Old 06-23-2004, 11:03 PM
rcairplanenut

The jag in the wing will alter the flow field at high angles of attack if used on the arrow, Its been 2 or so years since I had AE 302 Super Sonic Aerodynamics. I know the jag in jet wings also changes the flow field at super sonic speeds.
A delta like the Arrow will have a high energy roller effect to the air flow near the leading edge at high angles of attack. That’s why deltas stall at 25 to 35+ degrees rather then a conventional wing at 15 +- deg. Right now innless I look in a book, my guess is it will change the angle that the wing stalls at. Trial and error will find out what it will do on the arrow.

Yes I am a rocket scientist

SGG BSAE ERAU
Old 06-23-2004, 11:06 PM
rcairplanenut

Here is a CGI pick of a delta at a high angle of attack

Name:	Qo41218.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	146790  
Old 06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Villy

Good answer Rocket Scientist....

and nice graphic!

I will now have to go back and take a quick look at the Arrow (CF-105) movie and see what the script says - just for curiosity you understand, since the likelyhood of the script and the actuallity being anywhere close is......

I believe that the full scale model of the Arrow that was used in the movie is at the Reynolds Museum - barely 45 minutes south of here. I will have to take a run down and have a look at it some day.

It's too bad that the movie was made prior to the common availability of small turbines. The flying model that they used would have looked a lot more realistic if it hadn't had the glow exhaust trail behind it......

That bunch at Avro were really something, they had also designed and built the old ARGUS - a maritime patrol aircraft that served Canada well for many years. It wasn't from scratch - they started with what they had and pulled together from a bunch of designs to achieve the required end result. As I recall, the thing had a maximum mission length in excess of 24 hours. I talked to a Nav/Mission Commander type (as opposed to the "bus" driver!) who described those long missions in very unglowing terms.. I seem to remember that total time from contract let to first plan off the production line (for in-service use) was ONE year.....

Things were so much simpler then!!

Villy

Villy
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
rcairplanenut

Another neet Full size delta is the Sea Dart
Its a super sonic sea plane
They have one at the EAA lake land FL Building.

Name:	Wt59087.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	147063  
Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Villy

Yes, I remember reading about that when I was young....

and of course the F-102 the Delta Dagger (from which the Sea Dart was spawned) and the F-106 the Delta Dart.

I remember seeing a F-106 landing in Duluth Mn. I was in an old Convair waiting for take-off to Thunder Bay - that was in late '72 or early '73.

The 11th FIS was using the -A until '68, so I would guess that it must have been a ANG squadron that was still using it....

I also remember a jet powered seaplane - the Martin Seamaster. I think that they found out that seawater and gas turbines are not a happy combination.
I suspect that the lack of thrust from a low (or no bypass) turbine made it a bear to get up on the step. I remember my experience in a old fully loaded stretch DC-8. I thought that we would never get off the ground (that was at CYYZ) - even though it appeared that the wings were flapping. I also noticed that the ends of the ac had a distinct tendancy to bounce up with the spar as the fulcrum.

Scary!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 PM
rcairplanenut

2days progress

Its all most ready to cover.

Items remaining: Rudder construction, sub and top fin, mount control surfaces.

SGG

Name:	Ge94940.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	148079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76826.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	148080  
Old 06-29-2004, 09:03 AM
marwen1

I got an email from Laddie a few days ago. He tells me that there will be an ARF version of The ARROW coming soon.

Quote:

"The model design is being processed for ARF kit
production by MORRIS HOBBY in Texas."

Regards,
Laddie Mikulasko
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
marwen1

When I spoke to the local dealers here in WINNIPEG, MB about BALSA USA not carrying his kits anymore, their comments to me was that "they are really too detailed for a manufacturer to set up all the die cuts etc."

Anyway, that was was one mans viewpoint
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
marwen1

Some years ago out in the Chatfield Park (Jeffco club) in the Denver area, I had a buddy that had a CF 105. EVERYONE told him that the air was too thin at that altitude and that it would never fly. So, he installed an ESTES rocket motor on the bottom for a JATO. being that it is a STATE PARK, all kinds of BS hasd to be overcome. The park officials would not allow him to fire a "rocket" motor within the park limits so they all had a DEMO.
No motor in the AVRO ARROW, just the JATO was hooked up. They did the DEMO, the CF105 simply rolled down the runway from a dead standstill for about 100 yards. Just a lot of smoke at that point.

A bid "board meeting" and when it was all said and done he wasn't allowed to fly the JATO.

Of well, so much for that idea, but look at all of the jets out there today. and they said it wouldn't fly at that altitude. HAH!!

As far as the leading edge vairiation on the real 105 opposed to having it on the model. You'll never notice the difference. As I read earlier in the FORUM here, that design is only functional at super sonic speeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.