Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 AM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: northstar help

It wasn't all that cold - notice that's water and not ice! It was about +9ºC (48ºF) but the wind had a bit of an edge on it there for a while. Eveyrthing was floating when we took the boat out for the recovery mission. I thought the engine might have gone to Davey Jones' Locker but there was enough flotation to keep it on the surface. The pylon was probably watertight enough and it stayed intact. It hit hard. That's the tank flyiny ahead on the water. I bet the speed was pretty much maxed out. I was surprised because it is very unlike the pilot to have something like this happen. Later he found that one wire on his switch harness (an old one was used) was connected only by a stand or two of wire which broke off in removal. These wires weren't stressed in the crash. You might note in the video he said the roll to the right wasn't commanded. Not heard was a comment about mushy control prior to the crash. Perhaps the servo load dropped the voltage at this point.

In the slow motion shot of the flip on takeoff you can see the right wing go under. I think this agrues for tip flotation in other than placid waters. He plans on rebuilding.

Mine is framed up and needs only the strakes installed to be ready for covering. It is built with a fixed wing with spruce spars (1/8 x 1/4) where the CF tubes would go. Wish I had time to finish it this season. My 'high mileage' North Star is nine years old and seems ready to expire at any minute.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
philsmodels

Hi

I have had a little experience flying the Arrow and would be interested to see the video that John has posted the link to, sorry John I can not find it on the page that opens please help. I wanted to post sooner but had to check on my calc that Zero X something = zero

[>:][][:-]

Regards

Phil.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:54 PM
John Hawkins

Phil, it is here [link=http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/Home.html]http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/Home.html[/link] Just follow the video link from the front page. The site has been off and on a bit lately. I went over the bandwidth limit and maybe that is part of the reason. Noting on parts flying, the pylon is skipping along and then the tank appears to fly away from it. It was quite a smack.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:11 PM
philsmodels

John, I give up

http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/videos.htm this is the page that i am directed to???

http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/video/lear.wmv this is the top video link on the page

http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/video/ted.wmv this is the bottom video link on the page

but i still can not find the Arrow,, HELP HELP HELP> can you post the link to video please.

phil.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:14 PM
John Hawkins

Phil, here is a direct link [link=http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/video/arrow.wmv]http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/video/arrow.wmv[/link]

The page you are getting is an old one that was updated some weeks ago so perhaps it is loading from cache or offline content? The URL is correct so if you refresh it should load the complete list of videos.

Let me know if you still can't get it an I will place it temporarily somewhere else.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:20 PM
philsmodels

Thank you John I have managed to view the video. My computer had the old page in cache. Your Arrow seemed to perform just like both my friends Arrows. I have noticed on take off the bounce when it comes off the water (you are holding up elevator in) and then the Arrow dives back to the water. After that as the speed builds up proper control is established. My thought is that the thrust line on the motor would benefit from down thrust. That’s been covered off earlier in this topic.

This is an extract from an Email I received regarding this thread
Ah ha, a very interesting thread! That bloke ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ seems to have a real problem.
As far as I am concerned the C of G is a point and not a line extending vertically upwards. The fact that the engine is way over the top of the centre of drag must mean that increasing power will have a turning moment on the Arrow.

Another problem I noticed with the arrow was its reluctance to change direction on command at low speed, IE from a left turn “command” right Aileron no response this combined with a dive on throttling up made for some hair-raising landing approaches.

Can I ask on the video of the crash, on the low pass did you throttle up and then the model hit the water?

This is just a few of the quirks I noticed with this model. I have purchased the plan now and hope to start building my own over the winter. Ill let you know when I get mine built if the thrust line of the motor makes a difference.

Thanks again for the direct link to the video

Regards

Phil.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM
John Hawkins

Phil, the Arrow actually is/was a buddy's. I was operating the camera. My impression was that he had intended to make a low high speed pass when things went wrong. Immediately after the crash he said it was rolling to the right and he couldn't stop it. Later he wondered if the battery lead that was holding on by a bare couple of strands was the culprit. It will be interesting to see what happens the next time out. He intends to rebuild this winter. My own is well along but I have been too busy with work to finish it. It will probably have to wait until next spring unless we get some good snow cover on the lake this winter.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 AM
ThunderBirds
My Feedback: (3)

WOW, I wanted to build the Arrow but after seeing that Video, NO WAY! The Arrow seems to have a very quirky flight envelope. I really liked the video of the Seadancer, lots of authority powered by that YS 110.

Thanks for the great link to the videos, I enjoyed them all several times.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:51 AM
John Hawkins

The pilot's comment was, "It's different", referring to how it flew but with just two flights and perhaps not having the controls fine tuned or maybe the CG adjusted it is hard to draw any conclusions. He was surprised by the drop after takeoff. The plane was flown aggressively and looked like a lot of fun up to the final moment. The crash hasn't dissuaded me from completing mine although I think it has instilled a little caution.

Glad you enjoyed the videos. The Seadancers are nice flying planes.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:15 PM
testing123

Hello,

Impressive video john, looks like it will fly again though. I liked the north star video 2. Mine has been in good service for many years. I’ve been fallowing the progress of the thread since the summer. rcairplanenut has had some very good insights on this design, it is to bad he was bullied off of the thread by jrf, after all that rcnut has contributed to the arrow thread. Oh well. Got to be careful I don’t want to be exiled to a local small pond by jrf L

I saw something in RCM offering a set of die cut parts for people looking for a jump on the construction.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:27 AM
John Hawkins

Laddie's Nortstar has brought lots of fun to many people and hopefully this 'souped up' version will do the same. I framed up an Arrow with fixed wings although it has been stalled in construction for a while until I get time to get back at it. Here are a couple of details for spars for a fixed wing mod. The first drawing shows the location of 1/8 x 1/4 (about 3mm x 6mm) spruce spars where the CF tubes would otherwise go and the second shows a plan view of them. This is plenty strong as evidenced by the crash video where this construction was used. The wing held fine while other parts crunched. Shear webbing was used. I took pictures during construction but can't find them. The balsa formers at the spar locations were fiberglassed on one side and a scab used over the splice. I used CA on the glass. Two ounce cloth was used.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
PeterC

Default RE: Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

One of the fellows up here built a 150% Northstar. Len Boisvert spent last winter and part of last summer building it and I had the privlege of being the test pilot of the first few flights. Power is a Webra 120 pumper and it was a little weak. This coming year he has a OS 160 ready for installation. It's a great plane made better.
To see it go to our club web page http://www.ercs.ab.ca/, scroll down to 150% Northstar, and click on the videos and look at the photos too.
Pete
Old 12-07-2004, 12:41 PM
PeterC

Default RE: Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !

Try this, it might work better, http://www.ercs.ab.ca
I hope you enjoy the other pictures of our site. We consider it our private flying site because no one else uses it. There area never any problems with people parking their boats right where you want to take off and land and there are no kids racing through the pits because there is no real beach, and besides that the water is kind of scummy. Perfect for float flying but lousy for swimming.
Peter
Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C O N G R A T S man for this great Northstar !!!
After the twin engine version, now the "giant" version... The original one seems so tiny when they're next to each other.
What are the black wing spars reinforcements ? Carbon fiber rods ?
What about the flying ? You said better ?
Indeed, it seems WAY underpowered.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:26 PM
PeterC

If you are refering to the still photos from the construction stage they are tubes (I'm not sure what Len used for these) for the plug-in wings. T6 aaluminum tube joiners are used. Six foot span Northstar is a pretty big plane to haul around. The OS 160 should go a long way to improving the performance.
Glad you like it. I'll tell Len to check out this site.
Peter
Old 12-07-2004, 08:33 PM
PeterC

I guess I shuld read all of your questions before I submit a response. As to the flying it is pretty much like any Northstar. That is solid and predictable. The test flight showed it was a bit nose heavy and we ran out of UP trim which accounts for the less than smooth flight. We took out 2 oz. of lead from the nose and adjusted some more up into the linkage which helped later flights. It seemed slower in flight than a regular sized NS but we figured it was an illusion due to the size.
It's a pity Len's eyes were giving him trouble as they were tearing up in the wind which meant I had to do most of the flying. Such a shame
Peter
Old 12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
typhoo

hi folks just dropped in to see where this thread was going it seems to have settled down and a lot more civil.My 150% north star flew ok with a 108 but not the way that I wanted,so I have converted it to twin booms and installed a turbine.Unfortunately due to turbine problems rear of machine got fried badly.(ask PHILSMODELS about it,the story will carry on Phil)This has been all repaired and I have just received a refund for turbine(don't buy a PROTECH) I think a jetcat will be bought and fitted and flown when things warm up.I send photos and will let you all know how it flies
regards TYPHOO
Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

What are you guys using to finish your Northstars? Fiberglassing, Monocote or other. I have presently got mine balsarited and was ready to cover, but thought I would get some comments before I began. I was going to Monocote mine. any thoughts
Old 12-14-2004, 08:22 PM
PeterC

My current Northstar has been around about 20 years so as you might guess it's pretty durable. Fibreglass on the fuselage and Coverite on the wings and then the entire thing is painted with epoxy. I've just about finished building #2 and I am making sure that the insides are painted too. I'm using film formula Balsarite for the insides and everywhere the covering is to be attached.My nose tells me it is just butrate dope. Anything to seal the wood to prevent moisture absorbtion as that is becomming the apparent downfall of my current one. Just like me it's getting a little soft in the belly.
I don't think film finish will work as well but maybe with proper care it might.
Peter
Old 12-20-2004, 09:06 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

What are you guys using for engines? I have my fuse formed up and I am working on the wings now. The plans say a .35 to a .60. I just fly off of my pond here in the back yard. I'm not looking for 3D performance I just want to play in the water. I had a Sig Sea Lane but a battery failure ended it's short life, but it got me hooked on flying off of water. But as the time draws nearer, I just don't know what engine to get. Will a .46 do okay or should I go for a 60?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 PM
PeterC

Weight is most critical with a NS so the lightest, ,most powerful engine you can get is the best. I think this rules out most 60's because they are based on a larger casting. There are many good 46 - 52 size engines out there. I am using a GMS 47 with a factory pipe and it performs great. Irvine have a 52 which is reported to be very good as well as a number of OS engines. The best you can afford is the answer. I am sure a bushing 40 or 46 would be a dissapointment. You are also limited by how big a prop you can swing.
Don't neglect to balance it as per plans, no matter how much lead it requires otherwise you will have another short lived plane..
Peter
Old 12-21-2004, 06:31 AM
Strykaas

Webra .50 Gt, very light (the lightest ?) and powerful, a perfect match for this airframe.
I plan using mine on my Northstar.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:26 AM
jmupilot

My NorthStar was powered by a Fox 45 BB. It was plenty of power, had great speed. Like was posted earier just be sure you balance as per instructed. Mine required a good size chunk of lead in the nose, but it flew great. I lost it due to an eleveator linkage problem. I have another one on the building board now. I just love the way this plane flys and handles. We have a ski boat and go to the lake a lot in the summer, the NothStar always attracts a crowd when I fly it.. For covering I used Monokote on the first one but was always having to iron out the wrinkles due to water absorbsion. On this one I plan on using 3/4 oz glass on the fuse and the polyurathane methode to attach it. with coverrite on the wings. Hope that seals out a good bit of water. My old Star was around for about 12 years so I really missed it and had to have another. I found the best thing about it is no floats to have to set up and its all in one nice package. I also have one of Laddy's Lakers to build.

Pete
Old 12-26-2004, 01:27 PM
coinman

Northstar power plant. I use the Supertiger .46 and recently in the latest Northstar I installed a ST.51 and power pipe. Very under rated motors with lots of power nice and light and reliable. Some video is available on our clubs website www.gdrcac.tk/ then click the link to member’s model pictures. The ST.51 is giving 13,750 rpm on an 11x7 APC prop. Any others have any rpm figures?
Seasons Greetings and happy new year to you all.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Strykaas

thx coinman for sharing your vids [sm=thumbup.gif]. I especially appreciated the take off ! Boucing on the little waves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.