Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

The Mariner

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

The Mariner

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
TNTELSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Mariner

I own a Mariner and have flown it about a dozen times. This is a clean and smooth flying plane. I wrote a review about it if anyone wants to read it. Go to Product guide. Rate. Look for Lanier and find Mariner-40. Read the tips too! I would recommend it for a 1st seaplane or a great 2nd plane. I did mine up in USCG colors and markings. It has a OS .46 LA engine and 3-blade 10x7 prop. Looks and sounds great. All that saw it at the float-fly we just had liked it, and expect to see another one next year. If you want pics, e-mail me and I will send them. Also, check out the link below for more pics. Hope this helps someone out there.
<hr>Keep 'em flying high and level!<hr>

www.community.webshots.com/user/tntelstar/
[email protected]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:27 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Mariner

I agree, Mariners should erase Lanier's reputation for bad seaplanes. The Mariner is great. Light and very comfortable flying plane, with no tendencies to surprise the pilot.

a 10-7 >2<-blade would be a lot of prop for an OS-46LA. The LA is a great trainer/sport engine because it is reliable and easy to set up, but it is not super powerful. How many revs can you get with a 10-7 3-blade?
I run a Graupner 9-6 3-blade on mine.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:33 PM
TNTELSTAR

Default The Mariner

Jim,
I got approx. 10450 with the 3-blade on the Mariner, compared to approx. 10125 with a 2-blade 10x7 on my Astro when we were breaking it in. This is still a fairly new engine. I think it could use a little bigger or more powerful engine, but it flew nicely did'nt you think. Good to see you at the floatfly. Keep in touch.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:53 PM
gliderlauncher
My Feedback: (2)

Default The Mariner

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Sounds like your doing well with Mariner. Have Kyosho PBY2--running 2 OS 40 4strokes--tank in fuse, so running 2 Perry pumps. Have tried just ex, press. but unregulated--too much--flooded engines. Have Perry pumps at bare minimum, but still too much fuel at idle--floods. Have been told that Teeing in by carb and running line back to Tee at tank will correct problem. Any help?? Comments?? Would like to fly it.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:56 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Mariner

Hey, Mariner1
It was good to see you also at the floatfly. You did a good job organizing it. Thank Fred for me when you see him.

If you try it today, you better have enough boat to chase it downstream. I bet TVA has the spillways open by now.

Back to the topic: My OS.46LA, which was on the plane I flew there, is a sweet-running, reliable motor, but it is not powerful. I have a 9-6 3-blade, and have used the motor with a 10-6 2-blade and an 11-4 2-blade. I tried a 10-7 2-blade and it was MUCH happier with a 10-6.