Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

GP .40 sized fiberglass floats weight?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

GP .40 sized fiberglass floats weight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .40 sized fiberglass floats weight?

These are the floats I'm going to be installing on my cub. The website states that the assembly is 3.5 .lbs. Does this seem a little heavy to you, or is that about right? If it's right, I'm wondering if my .61 four stroke is going to be enough engine for the plane and floats. What do you float experts think?

John
Old 04-09-2004, 09:09 AM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GP .40 sized fiberglass floats weight?

I didn't even know GP made FG ones.... How long and how much$..? The 3.5 lbs seems OK and the .60 will be just fine... I had a goldberg cub on goldberg cub floats that were easily 3-4 pounds, and flew it around on a ENYA .46 4-stroke... Its was scale power I tell you, but it flew fine....
Old 04-10-2004, 08:21 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Go to this site and it will give you all the info on the floats. I haven't assembled them yet, so I can't weigh them to get an exact weight.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKH0&P=7

They're pretty sharp. One can paint them or leave them grey. They'll probably take only an hour or so to assemble and get on the plane. When the weather warms up enough and stays steady, I'll get them on the plane for its water maiden.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:47 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Length ?,

the tower tech comment says they are 40" and the box aperently says 34.5", so what are yours, and also, what is the width of those, and lastly, what is the measurement from the nose to the step ?.

Trying to get an idea if they'll work on the Goldberg Decathlon ARF I just got
Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

[:'(]I had a set on my 60 size Cub. The third landing which was normal as had been the first two, the seams on the float let go almost the full length of the float. The lip that joins the float side is very small and I think it does not make for a good glue joint. I returned them to my LHS and got a choice of a replacement set or a refund. I took the refund.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:08 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

Does any one know if the Great Planes 40 to 60 size ARF floats will be sufficient for my
.60 great planes cub (90 inches and approximately 11-12 pounds) powered by a OS 91 four strokes? The box on the ARF floats states up to 9.5 pounds weight.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:39 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably a good idea to pay attention to what they say. If the floats are too small, you'll do a lot of paddling (or swimming) to recover that CUB from the middle of the lake.

Jim
Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 PM
grandslam

Jim:

Thanks for the reply.

What is confusing about it is that the ARF float kit states it is good for .40 to .60 size plane.

The floats are made by Great Planes, and my .60 size cub is Great Planes kit. The question is begged: Why would the state on the box that is between .40 to .60 if it is not enought for the own .60 cub?

The floats are 40 inches in length. Is that sufficient for a .60 size cub (90 inch wingspan) powered by an OS 91 four stokes?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Slam:

GP is kind-of between a rock and a hard place. They designed their built up floats to fit their Cubs. But the Cubs are much larger than similar engined sport planes, so the built up floats are way too big for sport planes using the same engines.

Your 60 size Cub has a 90 wingspan and weighs 11 -12 pounds. A sport plane that size would be considered a 1.20 to 1.80 size. Consequently, the GP 60 size built up floats are just about right for most 1.20 to 1.80 size planes.

Then they came out with the ARF floats designed for 40-60 size sport planes and they are way too small for the GP 60 size Cub.

The GP built up floats are really your only choice for that Giant Scale "60 size" Cub.

Jim
Old 04-14-2004, 06:20 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at full size aircraft on floats, the floats look huge. For the weight of the plane plus passengers and cargo, the floats need to be that large to float the total package. We all know that our 1/4 scale plane is not 1/4 the weight of the full size version. Therefore our floats can be smaller. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want scale looks the floats will look too big, if you just want proper floatation you can go smaller........Seaplane
Old 04-14-2004, 12:41 PM
grandslam

I am not looking for a scale look. I am just looking for something functional that will enable me to fly my .60 cub this Saturday at our local float fly. (In Los Angeles, we dont have many places to fly off the water, and we normally have to settle for twice a year at a float fly event!!!)

I did not want the build the .60 size kit float, and therefore bought the .40 to .60 ARF GP floats. I checked the specs and the .60 size kit floats are 44 inches, whereas the .40 to .60 ARF are only 40 inches long.

I guess I will find out this Saturday if this combo works, and let you guys know.

I just thought that someone else might already have tired this combo of ARF floats with a .60 cub.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
grandslam

Just flew my .60 cub off the water at a float fly. Flew beautiful.

Yes, the 40 size Great Planes ARF floats were just FINE for the .60 Great Planes cub.

My Great Planes .60 cub is 12 pounds and the floats are designed for max 9.5 pounds.

Nevertheless, you CAN fly the .60 size cub with the 40 size ARF floats without resorting to building the .60 size floats kit.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:42 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Hey, what a day out there A

wich cub were you ?, I saw no less then 6 cubs including my dads . This thread is important to me couse we are in the same boat (no pun). i'm shoping for floats for a Goldberg Decathlon thats about the same size as yours, and thats the main reason I was there today was to see whats out there.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:11 PM
grandslam

I was the one with the fabric covered .60 size cub ( the largest out there) doing many touch and goes and flying throught the rain. I also flew a red Sig Somethin Extra with low inverted passes!!!