Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sig Sealane

Old 05-16-2004, 07:07 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Sealane

I actually SAW my first Sig Sealane yesterday.

It's an attractive plane. All Laser-cut. The guy who brought it did a super job putting it together and covering it.
When I first saw the ads, I thought it was a scaled up AquaStar. Now I'm more convinced.
THe AquaStar is famous for being a submarine. The Sealane IS able to get airborne. It just does it with a LOT of water coming over the nose initially. It's quite dramatic with the prop making a lot of spraycovering the airplane in its own little fog bank.

Compared to a Mariner or a Seamaster, the motor pylon seems more solid and the throttle servo is mounted in the wing not in the pod. The Mariner and Seamaster get off the water a lot faster and stay a lot dryer.

Easy fix: Add 3/8 tri-stock spines to the bottom on each side, from the nose block to the step.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32096.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	132739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28022.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	132740  
Old 05-16-2004, 09:52 AM
bobnreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig Sealane

Hi Jim I too have a Sig Seaplane wih a few flights. What you say about water spray is true. I did what you suggested about spray rails and it did reduce the over spray considerabley. Also I reduced the wing incidence to a + 1 degree.This was done because the plane wanted to climb at all engime settings. I do not like to use down evelator because at low speeds or landing plane wants to dive and requires holding what I feel is excessive up evelator For those who want a good predictable float plane, this is th one.
Regards Bob D.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 PM
willyb
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too have had water going over the bow on the Aquastar by Herr that I have. I put chines on the sides as update said, but found that it still happened. I added to the chines furthur forward right up to the front and it was a different airplane as far as water handling was concerned. One could taxi at will and there was no spray into the props.

I had a chance to buy a built, but not covered SeaLane, at a swap meet. I decided that it looked like the same thing was going to happen. At one of the shows I talked to a Sig rep that flown one and he said that there was occasional water getting into the prop. I added 1/32 plywood chines and am anxious to try it out when the the weather warms up more here in Wisconsin. I made them quite wide and I may be able to cut them back a bit.

It is a bummer that one cannot use an 11" prop on the Sealane. I am using an OS46FX and will try both a 10 X 7 and a 3 blade masterairscrew 10 X 7 that I have read about that is suppposed to work well on 46FX. What props have you been using and do you have any other tips for the maiden flight? I may set my incidence back too. I did this on a Seamaster and it made it much more relaxing to fly.

I will enclose three pictures if they will come through.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74298.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	133253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89190.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	133254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96325.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	133255  
Old 05-17-2004, 02:20 PM
bobnreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill ,Bob D . here. Your plane looks GREAT. I see what you mean by chimes from the pictures. I queston if they are long enough. Only flying will tell. I also am using a OS 46 but with a 10/7 3 bladed prop.It really pulls well. This plane flys well and you should have no trouble except for what I call excessive climb with power. Cut back power after t/o . I frequently t/o with half throttle and climb out nice and slooooow. Very scale like . Good luck
Bob D.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
willyb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob D. Thanks for the infro on your Sealane. I will watch the throttle on take off. It is easy just to keep it on hight power without thinking, especially on the first flight. Yes, the chines may be a bit short. I think they are too wide in the front too but I will try them this way and see what happens. I probably won't post a reply on the first flight until late June as it is still pretty cold up in Wisconsin. If you get a minute, how did you get your battery way up front? I used a long plywood platform, about 2" by 10" x 1/8" ply , putting the battery on the far end and the receiver on with velcro on the end under the wing. Maybe it would have been easier to make a compartment door on the front. Do you have a picture of your bird?

Bill
Old 05-29-2004, 09:24 AM
moesair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys, I have this kit as well, unbuilt, I recently attended a float fly and observed this model perform and thought that the airplane is to wet during the takeoff role, my thoughts in building mine is too add depth to the hull prior to the step by about 3/8 inch and chine lips as well, any thoughts on this idea, thanks Moe.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:31 PM
willyb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Moe- It may be easier to add a chine on each side rather than trying to deepen the fuselage. Be sure the chine is way up to the front of the bow, and I mean right at the front of the plane, and comes back about 5-7" or so to get the fuse up on step. I have found that once the Herr small Aquastar is up on step it will stay there. I haven't tried my Sealane yet with the chines so I really don't know for sure if they will work the way I think they will. It seemed to me on the small Aquastar that once it was up on plane no more water was being thown into the prop. If the chines work on the Sealane then once it is up on step it should have no more spray. Build the chines a little larger than you think is necessary as on can always bring them down to size with the Dremel. The chines on the Herr Aquastar make it a different seaplane. It gets up on step without problems with no spray and is a joy to take off. It was a submarine without the chines. I am not sure that adding depth to the hull is worth while. If the chines get it up right away you are all set. We need to get that bow out of the water! One must get rid of the wet during takeoff role, but I think the chines hopefully will do it. I will let you know in next week or two.

Willyb