Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Maniner 120 CG Question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Maniner 120 CG Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:34 AM
tedginto
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maniner 120 CG Question

I am in the processes of putting together the 120 size Lanier Mariner. I have seen a thread posted on the CG for the .40 size where the servos were mounted under the front hatch. I have the .40 size also and wished I had seen that thread as it was tail heavy and I had to add a lot of dead weight in the nose.

If someone that has put together the 1.20 would tell how theirs CG I would really appreciate it.

I will be putting a Saito 1.8 on it, with Hitec HS-635's in the ailerons and elevator, a HS-645 on the rudder, a HS-81MG in the pod and stock parts on the rest of the aircraft.

TIA

Ted Edginton
Old 05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maniner 120 CG Question

Ted,
I haven't seen/flown the BIG Mariner, but a general procedure of mine is to get the plane as complete as possible before installing the radio gear. Then I throw it on a balance fixture and move stuff around until it balances. It's important to throw in the pushrods and clevises at this time, because although they are a small portion of the weight of the plane, they are among the farthest from the CG so they have a big effect. Once you get a general idea of where things should be, then lock things down in order of optionality: The servos and linkages get installed rigidly first, then the receiver and battery pack can be slid around before they are bound in place ( I glue in a rigid support, then bind the rx and battery pack in place with velcro straps. Last, slide the switch around some before commiting the hole in your aircraft. The switch is as heavy as a small servo anyway, since it has more wires and connectors.

I even try to locate the stuff on the side opposite the muffler to minimize the lateral balance weight necessary. If the plane DOES need lateral balance weight, drill a hole in the wingtip and add BBs or lead shot, securing the ballast with CA. Then place a covering patch over the hole and go fly.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:10 PM
tedginto
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maniner 120 CG Question

Jim,

Thanks so much for the set up steps you use. I can see that they will be a big help.

I never gave a thought to the lateral CG. I was getting ready to do the engine pod so I will be sure to put the throttle servo on the opposite side of the muffler.

Thanks for your word of wisdom,
Ted Edginton