Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Flaperons or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Flaperons or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:04 PM
eskimo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons or not?

I have acquired a Goldberg Anniversary 40 size Cub with floats, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to have flaperons or just stick to a regular wing as it is built. Thanks for the comments?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flaperons or not?

I am not that experienced with float planes, but I did try my Sea Fazer with flaperons. It leaped off the water and pitched up. It was not a good take off. It is a .46 powered fun fly plane so it has more than enough power and this may have contributed to the pitch problem. All the rest of the sea planes I have flown have been normal configuration and have had no problem.

I would think your Cub will have plenty of lift to get airborne so rather than complicate the plane, I would fly it as is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29554.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	139532  
Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 PM
JimCasey

Not.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:58 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

While it is not exactly a seaplane, I owned a Senior Telemaster. Due to very light wing loading, I would not land. I mixed in flaperons and DID NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL!!!!!!
You lose too much aileron control. Remember how we are supposed to have differential ailerons. More up than down. Do flaperons and you get full down on one aileron, and slight up, if any on the other as you try to control the plane. Not good. If you need flaps, my vote is make flaps and put on separate channel. I eventually cut the aileron and created flaps and was glad I did.
My two cents.
Twinman
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 AM
raptorchris

I would try it, and see if you like it. If you already have 2 aileron servos installed, what do you have to loose? I just built a Cessna 177 on Floats, and set it up with flaperons. I simply used 2 servo extensions instead of a y-harness on the aileron servos. Other than a little bit of time on the radio programing, I figured there was no harm in trying it. I only plan on using them to slow the plane down on landings, so I set them up using a switch. Now I can simply turn them on and off with ease. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll try anything once.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:03 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I had flaperons set up on my Kingfisher originally
It really robs you aileron authority
Be ready for the sluggish ailerons
Can’t hurt to try, but I must agree that on a Cub you really won’t need the extra lift
Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 PM
JimCasey

I gave you the bottom line. Twinman and ScaleOnly4Me gave you the explanations.

Flaperons cause sluggish aileron response, adverse yaw, and if you use flaperons you are asking for a low-speed, low-altitude tipstall leading to a monokote bag of splinters.

Real flaps are great. Flaperons are not.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:11 AM
tpstorey

I guess it all depends on what you like. Do you need flaperons on a Cub? I would agree with "no" for that answer.

On the other hand, a buddy of mine had a lot of fun with flaperons on an LT-40. He mixed rudder to aileron on his transmitter to get around the turning problem. He also mixed in the needed amount of down elevator to keep it from pitching up. It was fun to see him at full speed on the step and then hit the flap switch and watch it leap from the water like it was on a high speed elevator. Of course, this is definitely not a scale move.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:31 AM
richardclausen

Ed_Moorman, Richard here

What type , make, Engine, floats & model plane is yours, its great!

Where did you get it? Ill need one of those!

Rich
Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn
t bother with flapperons on the GBM Cub either. If, however you find it needs a little help, turn both aireron clevises in two turns. this will drop the ailerons a tiny bit to act as flaps.

Also, use an incidence meter. make sure that with the wing at ZERO, the tops of the floats are at about -2 degrees.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:25 AM
richardclausen

I have flaperons on my patternship. Its great for approach stability, buy a ******* when it comes to low speed stalling. Its very easy to get into a insipient spin (Downward aileron increases the AOA & that wing drops....Opposite to the input that you are requesting!)

I have been messing around with it at about 20 feet & you do not realy want to get into this situation below this hight. I was just trying to see how slow I could fly.

I have my controller set up so that when I come back below 50% AUTOMATICALY the flaperons droop & the elevator presets DOWN 5 deg. (Stops the pitch up) If I want to carry out a missed approach, all i do is sellect 60% throttle & the Flaperons retract to 10 deg. If I want zero Flaperons I go full power.

I can disable this function by using a switch. (The 3 position switch up on the top right side of the TXmitter) Im using Mode 1.

Lift off & Landing distance with 40% flaperon is around 40% less than with clean config.

If you can, try go for FLAPS....Much safer and better for scale birds.

Rich
Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If flaperons are such a no-no, then why did the radio mfg's bother to create a mixing function for them? What is their real purpose?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:08 PM
richardclausen

They do it because most, well some ARTF aircraft just dont come with flaps. 90% have Ailerons! Hense Flaperons i presume?

Flaps work better than flaperons. With extreme flaperon down, your lateral control goes away, and in fact reverses.
Splitting full span ailerons into seperate surfaces; ailerons and flaps is a better choice.

About 30% of the semi-span becomes a flap while the aileron response is hardly affected.
On a Cub, with barn door ailerons, flaps work extremely well.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:11 PM
richardclausen

one more thing, dont forget about Adverse yay with Flaperons! It can be quile noticable!

Rich

Flaps do not have that problem because of symetry!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:21 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

My Sig Cub has flaperons, ,and I rarely use them. It has the barn door ailerons and putting the flapernos down actually causes washin. It can lead to some real exciting takeoffs if you let it get too slow and uncoordinated. The only time that I use them is to put them up to slip into a tight place on landing. Putting them up adds to the washout and makes the plane more stable.
I think that adding real flaps and making it a Super Cub.