Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Saunders-Roe SR45

Old 06-18-2004, 03:46 PM
pdf3@comcast.net

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Saunders-Roe SR45

Hello Water-Plane Builders!

Does anyone know of a source of dimensioned 3-view drawings for the Saunders-Roe SR45? Surely a model of this monster must have been built - any constacts/addresses would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 AM
expat flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Saunders-Roe SR45

Small three view + statistics on
http://www.raravia.com/princess.htm

It's in italian but I'm sure you'll guess what it means.

That is some prototype for a model with 66.9 metres span and ten engines (four contra rotating sets and two singles).

It has a good wingspan and quite narrow fuselage, if a little tall, so I expect it would fly OK. Stories of the first test flight said the original really wanted to fly.

Some people have made glider models, for example see the PSSA web site in the UK.
www.pssaonline.co.uk/designer-tech/ DES%20-%20Saunders%20Roe%20SR45%20by%20George%20Dexter.ht m

good luck

Jerry
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM
pdf3@comcast.net

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jerry!

Thanks for the feedback! I had tracked down the basic dimensions/shape of the SR45, but was hoping for some more definitive 'data.' I had seen the PSS model photo/article, also. Saunders-Roe has a very large collection of archive photos, but no dimensional, etc., data.

Thanks again,

Dave P.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
expat flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dave,
I'm glad you found the SR/BHC web site. It has dimensions under the "specification" tab on some pages.

It is good to look at for the construction photos and the explanatory drawings, but the collection of photos is a bit pricey at £5.50 each. Perhaps they could do a deal for a serious modeller and find some better drawings or send digital versions of photos cheaper. Trouble is when you do that they pop up everywhere on the web and bang goes their profit from their intellectual property.

The usual Russian sites have dimension data too, probably all copied from the same source. They have loads of interesting subjects. I'm grateful for the info but worry about the legality - perhaps copyright does not apply there, because most seems to be plagiarised without recognition or permission.

There are lots of other pages if you use Google to look for Saunders Roe Princess and a few for Saunders Roe SR45, but I've not found any better plans or data yet.

regards

Jerry