Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

lanier Sea Bird

Old 06-25-2004, 04:16 PM
jguenthe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default lanier Sea Bird

Has anyone ever flown a sea bird made by lanier? How does it fly? Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
sky_dancer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: lanier Sea Bird

I have one. I've never flown it. It's about half finished because I got a bit tired of it and decided to go ahead and get the Mariner .40. What I've heard about them and what my experience with mine kind of backs up is the fact that they are heavy airplanes. I've read right here in this forum that people can't get them out of the water with a .40 sized powerplant.
Also, this kit is not exactly an "ARF" by todays standards. There is extra stuff to buy besides just the normal radio/engine combo.
I'm not trying to be totally down on the airplane, I imagine I'll finish mine someday but I'll most likely put a .60 on it. I don't dislike the kit, I just think there are some problems with it.
IMO you would be better served to save your money up and get the Mariner even thought I've had a small problem building it. (See my latest post) Nothing major though, more my fault than anything.
Michael
Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Sea Bird can be made to fly, if you know what you are doing. But ANY other flying boat will give you a better assembly and flying experience.

Jim
Old 06-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't waist your time on the Sea Bird or the Sea Monster and go straight to a Sea Master with Lanier Mariner wing floats.
I know nothing of the Mariner planes but they look good.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Turbobeaver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The nick name for the Lanier Sea Bird is the "sea turd",with good reasoning behind it I might add[:'(].Don't waste your time on this plane.There are far better choices.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would not buy another one it has a severe yaw problem. i agree with the sea turd name. another person in our club has one and complains about the same thing it flies sideways instead of straight. pehaps bigger tailfeathers are needed. the seam where the two fuselage haves go together leaks also, put some silicone around it.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd like to know what the problems you have found with the Sea Monster. I have one and I can't seem to find anything wrong. Two of my friends have a mariner and a Sea master and I don't think I'd trade for their plane.

The Monster's bottom forward of the step is fiberglass, the T tail is held on with metal L brackets, the pylon is a lot sturdier than my buddy's mariner, the nose piece can't fall off like the Sea Master and the rudder has a downward turn on the bottom for a water rudder. The engine is side mounted-I like that, the airfoil is a thick symmetrical- good for acro and it gets off the water fine and lands slowly.

It does need a little more dihedral because it tends to roll over on its back in knife edge, an indication too little dihedral. I believe the tip floats are adding anhedral effect.

I did have another Monster owner tell me his porpoised on take off and I'll admit I tend to hit the power and get off fast so I haven't noticed it. I have recently removed the Saito .72 and replaced it with a Magnum .52XLS 2-stroke so maybe I'll need a longer take off run.

Don't even mention cost. The Monster goes for $189. I got mine for $169 on sale. The Mariner is $249-$259. i can't say about the Sea master, but the Neptune, a Sea Master copy is nicely priced.

Of all the flying boats, I like a Sea Cruiser a buddy built and I fly. It has the engine pylon on the wing, not the fuselage, so it is longer and more sturdy.