Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Swoose plans

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Swoose plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:23 AM
groundlooper
My Feedback: (235)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swoose plans

I am looking for a set of plans for the Swoose. I think it is a Zirolli design.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Leo

Default RE: Swoose plans

Try the search engine at the link below:
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/plans.asp?catego=PL
Old 07-21-2004, 01:18 PM
ilbcnuairborne
My Feedback: (2)

Go to RCSTORE.COM The plans were published by Model Airplane News
Old 07-21-2004, 05:13 PM
groundlooper

Tack sa mycket.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 PM
groundlooper

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Does anybody have a swoose flying?? I would welcome any info on what plans, wingspan, powerplant, flying characteristics., etc

Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
PeterC

I flew one a few years ago built as per the Nick Zirolli plans. Power was a four stroke although I can't remember exactly which one. The only comment I have regarding the design is that the fairing for the floats are waaaaay to big and added un needed side area at the wrong end of the plane. I would rfeccomend cutting a huge hole in the sides of each fairing to lessen the area.
Nice looking plane though. There is a picture of the one I flew one one of the other threads in this forum. Try a search.
Enjoy,
Peter
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I'm about to start building my swoose from the Ziroli plans from RC Store.

Is anybody aware of a build thread here or elsewhere; a search didn't turn it up, but that sometimes happens.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Seeplaner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi over there,
I have just got my plans in, I have seen a 25% Scale up done,Saito .72, looks beautifull.
Mine will be 25% scale up: I think, using a Saito .56 or .72
Only hints I can give are, Do your own floats & leave out the little kick at the step. Elongate the nose some 2-3", I agree with an earlier post, reduce the float strut side area.
They are a majic looking machine.
Mine will be the Cream model with the burgundy trim, just in case you were coming to fly at the Seaplane event in Albury, Australia, next October, so please don't copy my colors.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Those are exactly the colours I chose Seaplaner! You're going to have to change, I'm sorry.

I hope to bring my Martin PBM Mariner to Albury in October, so see you there.

I'm probably going to build mine with wheels instead of floats first up, and maybe the floats later, but thanks for the tips.

Only kidding about the Swoose colours.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Well I've started work on my Swoose, same size as the plans.

You say you're using a Saito .56 or .72. Is that 4 stroke or 2 stroke. I had intended using a Magnum/OS .90 4 stroke, but that may be overpowered. I have an OS .70 FS I can use if so.

What do you think?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I started my Swoose early May, a long while after I intended doing so, but it's coming along well.

Here are a few pics

I've had to extend the cowl by 45 mm, 2 1/4", to accommodate the four stroke engine, but otherwise it's about the same. The Magnum .91 4 stroke is a tight fit in the cowl.

I've discussed the build with somebody who built one a while back, and he said it was tail heavy in the standard configuration, so the extra length and weight out front should eliminate that.

I'm going to have an oval cutout in the balsa fill in between the legs to the floats as recommended by Peter C above. Apparently it's a little skittish with a large vertical area up front, so almost halving that surface area should settle it down....hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28682.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	984319   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43126.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	984320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76703.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	984321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61765.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	984322  
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
hILLVILLE
My Feedback: (64)

Go to YouTube and put in Swoose. I just recorded the only Swoose videoed on YouTube. The plane belongs to a gentleman who lives close. I provided him with a great location to make the wet maiden. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Thanks for posting the link hILLVILLE.

It looked stable enough with those huge float fairings. I've put large cutouts in mine to assist with any handling problems because of the large vertical area up front; they were going to be oval but I went for a shape that follows the outline of the fairing. Attached pics show the detail.

It's almost ready for paint, and hopefully flying in about six weeks. It doesn't look as though much has been done since the last pictures, but after spending a few weeks out of town, the float fairings have been added and glassed along with the floats and landing gear fairings, most of the belly decking has been done and ventral fin added, and most of the sanding finished.

The control surfaces are all complete, engine mount in and servo deck installed. I have to finish the belly decking, complete the final sanding and it should be ready to paint.

I was thinking Cub yellow and have tried that on one of the floats; if I went that way, it would probably have dark blue highlights/stripes, etc. The other option is an aluminium colour with maroon or dark blue highlights.

Because of space constraints, I'm having two fuel tanks, a main at 8 ozs, and a header at 2 ozs with a pump. The hatch on the right hand side of the fuselage is to access the header.

Name:	Da83352.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1022541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25943.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1022542  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM
donjiskra

Here's a Swoose under construction by Jim Kummerow.
It sure is a beauty. I'll post more after it's covered.
Don

Name:	Bz78473.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1040789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70404.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1040790  
Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

I'm getting close. I used tissue and dope over the balsa and sprayed it.

Work to go: Install servos, fuel tanks (I'm using an 8 oz main tank and 2 oz header with an oscillating pump) engine, paint the (probably) midnight blue trim and touch up the hangar rash, and go flying. The canopy is still masked in the pics.

The floats are finished, but it will be doing its first flights off wheels.

I estimate about 8 hours to have it ready for its first flight.

donjiskra, your friend Jim Kummerow does nice work!

Name:	Jh16891.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1042025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57418.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1042026  
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I'm almost there. I ran out of paint today so couldn't finish the tail; it's still masked. I can't find the spinner I ned so will have to compromise on that.

It should be finished tomorrow and be flying the next day with good conditions.

Name:	Bz76859.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1048982  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Minnreefer

Looks great, did you maiden it yet?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Hopefully its maiden flight will be tomorrow; just waiting to confirm the forecast.

Here are the latest pics, all finished except for the float spreaders, and I estimate about 150 hours work.

I'll post the build problems when I've given them some thought.

Name:	Wu60821.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1052095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65237.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1052096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88851.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1052097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14695.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1052098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30878.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1052099  
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

The issues I see with this plan are:

If built to the plan, it will be WAY too heavy in the tail. I used a built up fin in lieu of the solid fin on the plan, used a 4 stroke engine which required me to extend the nose by 30 mm (1 1/4"), put the battery pack under the header tank right behind the bulkhead, and I still had to add lead, about 4 ozs at the extreme front of the engine mount.

The blocks in the fuselage and floats which are drilled to accept the wire legs of the gear and floats have different spacings, which causes the body angle to change relative to the angle of the floats when one is moved relative to the other, i.e., if the top of the floats is horizontal, zero degrees, the fuse angle will vary with movement fore/aft. I had to make the rear legs slightly shorter since I already had the blocks installed and drilled. On the plan, the holes in the fuselage blocks are 137 mm apart and in the floats, 142 mm apart. Measurement from the datum line in the fuse to the top of the floats indicates the same measurement, 203 mm.

The fixed gear has rubber band fixings at the front only, and this causes the rear wires to come slightly out of the holes in the fuselage blocks, and the structure to dig into the balsa at the front fixings. My fuselage is damaged by the structure and it hasn't flown yet! The addition of a similar hook on each rear wire and a balsa block in the fuselage for strength to accept the rubber band would eliminate this problem. Alternatively, a piece of 2 mm ply could be inlaid into the fuselage side where the gear structure contacts it. I've just made up a couple of 2 mm ply plates that will go between the landing gear wires and the fuse to spread the load so that I can fly this model tomorrow, but will look at a more permanent fix, probably hooks on the rear gear wires, when time permits. This problem shouldn't occur with the floats because of the spreader bars.

Lastly, this affects the aesthetics of the model only. If the wire legs for the floats are bent to the same length as the plan indicates, the aircraft will sit a lot higher than drawn on the plan. It may be a case of needing to make the plan a little more squat to fit it on the sheet, but a note to that effect would be nice to have for guidance. Mine are the same length as the plan (front only, back slightly shorter to cover the above problem) and it sits much higher than the drawing indicates.

If I was starting again, I would make both landing gear and floats in a different way. I'd have them fixed to a block that bolts into the fuselage with nylon bolts, so that it would be a resonably simple matter to unbolt one and bolt in another rather than mess arond with pins in locating holes, rubber bands etc.

I also made cutouts in the float fairings because I didn't want such a large vertical area up front, and possible handling difficulties as a result. Time will tell if that mod has been successful.

These are my observations only and problems I see with these plans; it is not my intention to aggravate other builders, but I would be interested in their views. Others may see them differently.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Minnreefer

Thanks for your comments, I do like the look of that plane, I am thinking about building it, but I have a few things on my plate now. I personally like the longer nose.

Jon
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Well it didn't fly today.

Fortunately I had engine trouble; it's a Magnum .91 FS mounted inverted. I've never had trouble with this configuration previously, but the engine wouldn't run cleanly without the glo starter connected. As soon as I disconnected, it ran rough.

I was working to get it running smoothly with the wing off and noticed that the elevator servo arm seemed cocked. On investigation, the servo spline shaft had sheared. There was no binding, and with sullivan push rods, they would have bent first if there had been binding.

This is the second servo out of a brand new Spektrum radio that has sheared, and luckily, neither was in an airborne aircraft when it happened.

I'm now going to replace the Spektrum servos and use JR 539's. I'm headed interstate for ten days, so it won't be until early next month that it flies.

It was a very disappointing day, but luck was on my side. I feel lucky not having wirtten off 150 hours work.

Minnreefer, I'd suggest upscaling this plan by about 10, maybe 20% to make more room for servos, battery, fuel tanks in the fuselage, and to give it more width. The engine bay is awfully tight.

If I can be of any assistance when you start your build, please contact me; I'd be more than happy to relate my experiences.

It is a great looking aircraft on floats, but ordinary on wheels.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Minnreefer

Did you ever maiden it? wondering if it flew as good as it looks?

Jon
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Not yet Minn. Just after I posted I went out of town for a few weeks, longer than I intended, just back, so I'm getting to work to see why this engine doesn't run right.

This Magnum is inverted 180 degrees, and others I have are at 45 (135) degrees. It's looking like the problem may be oil soaking the plug. When I remove the glo starter, it runs rough; leave the glo starter on and it's OK. That'll be the first thing I check out anyway, and I figure a 10/1000's shim under the head may fix the problem if that is it.

I'll post when it flys for the first time.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
PeterC

I have an OS 90 FS mounted inverted on my KMP Husky and have no problem running it that way including starting and idle. Are you sure your tank is not mounted too high? This could cause fuel to syphon into the carb. Check your idle mixture and lean it down until it runs smooth and then try removing the glow connector. Also be sure you are using a good OS "F" type plug. These can make ll the difference between a great running engine and a fishing weight.
I love your paint scheme, although it might not be too visible on an overcast day. It reminds me of some of the WW2 German observation planes.
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.