Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Nexstar on Floats??

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Nexstar on Floats??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar on Floats??

Has anyone tried adding floats to a Nexstar? I am thinking of trying it out and would like your input.

Any recommendations on which floats to use?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Oregon Craig

Default RE: Nexstar on Floats??

I've seen lots of trainers on floats, and they work great.

I just got a set of these. http://www.falcon-trading.com/product.cfm?prodID=149

I didn't get the ones for trike gear, you would probably want to.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ought to work great. I also like the Falcon Trading Co. floats for ARF floats. For kit type, I like the Niagara Custom Models foam floats. They handle nicely, sure can't sink and are about half the price.

Be careful flying in any wind. I have a World Models Sky Raider Mach I, trainer type plane, on floats and it flipped over easily in what I would call a light wind. I had been flying low wing planes and flying boats from the water, but got this trainer to set up and it blew over so fast it astounded me. As I have been told, you need full aileron into the wind and you need to "fly" the plane all the way back to the shore.

The Sea Raider had the Niagara foam floats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86364.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	167408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95365.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	167409  
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Bayou Talker

Thanks guys,

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I just might try it!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 AM
v_twin1k

I am also looking to put floats on my nexstar. Bayou Talker, which set of floats did you end up with? Are there any new recommendations since this thread was started? Is there an advantage to going with a kit over an ARF set of floats? How about the length of the float? Is a dedicated rudder servo necessary, or will the airplane's rudder be adequate?

Thanks for any info,

Rob
Old 06-12-2005, 06:34 AM
perkinsm

GUYS - I'm wanting to put floats on my Hobbico Superstar that I use to train folks on. Right now, I have a Saito 72 on it and just got a pair of GeeBee floats.

The floats are 31 1/2 " long. Any do's and dont's? Suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance,,,,,,,
Old 06-12-2005, 06:26 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do search for Gee Bee floats on this forum and believe what you read.

No matter what you paid for those floats, you will save money by throwing them away and buying a set of floats that work.

Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I is usefull to remove the dihedral from the Nexstar for float operation -- that greatly reduces susceptability to a "blow-over" accident -- the plane flies better as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Swoop1

I completed the installation of floats on my Nexstar around Thanksgiving. We have had significant snowfall in Chicago recently so I conducted the test flight about one week ago. The floats were purchased from Falcon Trading Company, http://www. falcon - trading .com/prod.cfm?category=Floats%20and%20Float%20Planes & are sold for $90 as "Float Set for Trike Gear Models." I removed the speed brake & wingtip droops last Summer & the first flight with the floats was conducted in about a 12-15 mph wind condition. All I can say is AWESOME, the floats did not change the CG & the flights were more stable than with the wheels on. I attempted to mount the GEE BEE brand floats & failed miserably. If you want to be flying after about 1 hour of labor, then buy these floats. I will tell you that the wing's angle of incidence adjustment (preferably 1 degree) is very simple because one screw on the nose gear allows you to move the leading edge of the wing up & down in relation to the floats. FYI...I am an amature pilot & have no build experience so this is a no brainer for your Nexstar . Practice on the snow, rather than water, because you won't need a canoe! Have fun.