Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What's the covering of choice for seaplanes?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What's the covering of choice for seaplanes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the covering of choice for seaplanes?

My Sig Sealane is almost at the stage of covering. What is a good choice of covering material? I have seen Monokote look saggy on some float planes. I thought about using Sig Koverall and dope thinking it would be well sealed from water. Any suggestions from you seasoned float flyers?

Cheers

Mike
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What's the covering of choice for seaplanes?

I have used MK, and UC with about the same success. Every now and then you have to break out the heat gun and tighten things up a bit.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

My Ag-Cat has the Sig Koverall and dope on it. As long as it is sealed properly, the covering is fine. I didn't seal mine so good so there is a little water here and there, but it dries. As for it sagging and wrinkling, I havn't noticed any.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:44 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I use is solartex.I have covered 2 floatplanes and a set of floats.No leaks and after a couple of years.very little sagging.The secret is dope the wood with balsarite,60% acetone-30%balsarite.You want to seal the wood with some adhesion.I have had great success.When I am building a sea plane I try to dope up most of the structure that is in the water area.Look under tired of waiting for 120 size seaplane this forum.l
Goodluck-Jeffo
Old 10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
ryanpilot

I have done severl planes and have tried several different coverings. What I use differes by what type of plane I am going to put on the water.

If I am doing a flying boat (floating hull) I usually use one of the fabric coverings with balsarite. I like Solartex and have used that since about 1985 on various planes, it is very strong and easy to work with. If you don't like the color choices then get nutral and paint your own scheme. I ahave also used 21st Century Fabric and Ultracote with excellent results. In fact Laddie (the northstar designer) reccomends covering with a fabric such as Solartex.

I didn't see if your talking about the floats or the whole plane???? I have had several old timer float flyers say, and I agree, for floats to glass and paint them. That is the absolute best way to waterprof and strengthen. I also feel, and have heard many people state, that monokote will leak from the seams eventually and tears/abraids easy. Here again the fabric coverings seem to have better seam seal and wear better.

For a float plane I have covered many in monokote and was just fine. I always give the extra protection of balsarite first though. The one thing I have noticed on many planes and have tried a few different tricks is mold growing from the hinge slots. You can really see this with light colored covering. The same problem as oil seepage from engine exhaust except that water spray ends up all over your plane. I have been gap sealing every plane for about the last year or two and have had much better results including oil seepage, not to mention that it improves the performance of your bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13332.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	181505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93299.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	181506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13749.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	181507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93258.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	181508  
Old 10-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Skycam41

Looks like I shall try Solartex as the Sealane is a flying boat plus its always fun to try something new.

Ryanpilot, wow, gotta love your planes and pictures. The shot taken with the telephoto lens against the fall coloures is awesome! I would have that one blown up and hanging int he living room

BTW, who makes Solartex?

Thanks to all the replies, this is such a great place to get help from.

Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 08:29 PM
ryanpilot

Hey, thanks for the compliment on the photo. All I use is a Kodak Digital. As far as the solartex you can get it at Balsa USA.

http://www.balsausa.com/coverings/?shopperid=

Don't feel like that is the only one though. I also like 21st century fabric and as I understand it Worldtex from Horizon Hobby is almost the same. I have just have more solartex.

On of the factors is that when I order hobby stuff I try to order everything I need at the time from one supplier (I don't have a hoppy shop within 2 hours of me) and that would dictate what brand I get.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63551.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	181782