Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

modified sea bird?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

modified sea bird?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 01:01 AM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modified sea bird?

I've read several reviews on various float planes and have a good idea which one to buy and the one to avoid, namely Lanier's Sea Bird. All the reviews I've read state the same, and that is you have to have the patient of a saint and skills beyond that which is attainable to keep the S.b. flying. On the other hand, the same company's Mariner seems quite user friendly. My Mariner arrived today from T.H. and found the kit ok. It would have helped with the aesthetics if the frame was sprayed with balsa filler then sanded smooth before covering.

I like the idea of the S.B's plastic fuselage, but it stops there. What the reviews indicate that a 2x4 with a motor has better flying capability than the sea Bird. Has anyone tried the wings from the Mariner or another built-up wing that is compatible with the Bird? I think that the week spot(s) of the Bird is the heavy foam wing.

Yes, I know there are good ARFs out there so why bother with a sinking boat? Just curious. A wood frame covered with mylar type film will eventually give way to moisture. The ABS body and the looks of the Bird, plus being cheap enough to experiment with, has got me thinking. But for now, I'm busy with the Mariner and a 58" boat to start another project.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:02 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: modified sea bird?

The SeaBird was originally designed and kitted in the 1960's. We've learned a lot about model seaplanes in the 40 years since then.

If you install the big ugly spray rails shown on the (so called) plans, add Mariner style turbulator wedges to the bottom of the fuselage, add 2" to the top of the vertical tail and use a .61 it will fly. But not well.

Also, those early, all plastic, Lanier ARFs are known for really bad parts fit and brittle plastic.

If you want an all plastic float plane, look into the ones from Falcon-Trading.com. They are excellent.

Jim