Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Supermarine Walrus

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Supermarine Walrus

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Hargarth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supermarine Walrus

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has built a Supermarine Walrus from the Nexus UK plans?
([link]http://www.nexusonline.com/pages/nexusdirect.cgi[/link] - RM164)
I have just laid my hands on a set and have a couple of questions. Thank you.

ps - Spot the newbie who is trying to work out how the message boards work
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Supermarine Walrus

I have...enlarged it to 80" span.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30963.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	197741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13797.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	197742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89685.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	197743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49971.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	197744  
Old 11-29-2004, 03:30 PM
smchale

Here's another picture to help with perspective. It's of me and the Walrus back around 1998-99. Flew it off land once, but it was much happier off the water.

Name:	Lj23431.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	197745  
Old 11-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Hargarth

Sean,

Tyvm for the reply. Model looks great . Email on its way to you, hopefully!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
dicknadine

sure looks good. whats todays status of it? a ceiling hanger or what? are the plans available? dick
Old 11-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Very nice smchale!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 PM
smchale

Thanks. I still have the plane, but it is not assembled. It takes a lot of time to set up and rig, and a lot of space to store in the assembled configuration. The wings fold back (I'll try and post a picture of that if I can dig one out) per the full size to assist, but it still takes up a lot of space.....and considering I only fly off water once or twice a year now that I have moved to the US it's not worth it. [] Yes, the plans are available out of the UK. Click on http://www.modelflying.co.uk/pages/index.cgi and in the search box type in 'Walrus'. you should see the 60 sized plans as well as some 3-views. If i'm not mistaken there should also be a set of plans for a smaller version....i always thought that would make a nice electric.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Hargarth

Electric version has been built - [link]http://homepage.mac.com/trevorhewson/home/modelflying/indoor/walrusarticle.html[/link] According to the plans the 60 size is built mainly from 1/32 or 1/16 ply - Fuz formers, decking, hull sides and bottom are all 1/32 then braced with 3/32 balsa. The Wing Ribs are either 1/16 or 1/32 ply. Makes for an interesting build, especially with folding wings and one aileron servo driving 4 ailerons (8 control rods pushing and rotating!). Thank goodness for computer radios and slimline servo's
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
smchale

Sorry for the delay....I have rec'd a few questions on this model so I'll post what I can here with some more pics as well...

Yes, getting the ailerons functioning smoothly was quite a job...I did it like the plans show but have one aileron servo per side, both housed in the radio compartment in front of the lower wing and behind the cockpit.

I can't recall the thrust angle I had...I'll have to check that this evening when I'm back home. The original (the silver version in the black and white picture below) was powered by an old webra 91 2-stroke. I changed it over to the Enya 1.20R 4-stroke and it was quite a bit better. The model crashed while flying off of land and significant damage was done. Also pictures below. I rebuilt the model from all the bits and pieces and refinished it in the camo colors shown. It proably could have done with a bit more power, but with so much wing it still flew in a very scale like manner. The 'shagbat' was not known for it's speed thats for certain!! I'm not sure exactly what the model weighs, but I suspect in the neighborhood of 16-18 lbs. It could proably use a bit more power, and as such the issue then becomes 'how to get more fuel' on board. The nacelle houses the fuel tank and I even added an extension to it later on so i could put a larger tank on board. not sure if this is evident in any of the pics or not. perhaps one could run a header tank in the nacelle and a main tank in the fuse with a pump arrangment? this would also allow you room for the throttle servo to go in the nacelle...mine is down in the radio bay with a 'snake cable' up to the nacelle.

In some of the pics you see a dummy radial, and in others you don't...well, guess what happens when a dummy radial shakes loose on a pusher prop model!? Fortunately it happened while out taxing on the lake, most of the bits were recovered but it was not repairable as you can well imagine.

As mentioned earlier, with all the rigging on the 4 wing panels, it takes quite some time to set up and adjust everything. Using the scale hinging on the wings one is able to fold them back and transport the plane in one 'package'. This still takes up some space, but it's much easier to put together and you don't have to 'trim' the model on every first flight of the day. It was also an interesting conversation topic of the model.

Well, here's a few pics....

Name:	Wu59609.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	200314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84279.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	200315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43227.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	200316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65472.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	200317  
Old 12-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, I recognize that lake!! What year(s) did you have it out there, Sean ???
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
smchale

Most of the time it was Shuswap lake, the odd time Allouette lake as well as Lake Okanagan. Dates are roughly 1994-1999. i moved to the US in 2000.....and yes, miss flying off the water!