Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

twin engine seamaster

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

twin engine seamaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 PM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin engine seamaster

I am postin these pictures sent to me by Chuck, with his permission. What'd you think guys. He did say it flew, but did not elaborate on the floght. So Chuck, please tell us about the flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99336.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	200510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21028.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	200511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87102.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	200512  
Old 12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
magyarbacsi

Default RE: twin engine seamaster

By the way, that is Carlos Murphy's twin. He sent the email as Chuck. great job, by the way.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first flight was a knee knocker, she shot off the water like a scalded goose and climbed like a rocket.
I pushed down elevator and called for down trim (my thumbs were full) and my friend Mike started feeding in down trim on my 8103 till there was none left, I throttled back to half (from 3/4) and had level flight but still had to hold a little forward stick. I cruised around for a while, any increase in throttle would produce a clime but I still had fun, sounded great like all twins do.
Throttled back for landing and greases it, very pretty, the Lainer wing floats work and look good and I taxied back, right engine died and beached her on one engine.
I mounted the T.T.36 engines with 0 degrees not knowing what it needed so the fix was to install washers on the top engine mount screws between the mount and firewall to get 3 degrees of down thrust and that fixed it. The next flight was from pavement here in Nevada and all went well in spite of the fact the elevation here is 4,750 feet.
The plane rides a little low in the water due to the extra weight but gets up on step with ease.
It takes only ten minuets to install the engine pod with the OS 50 FX and the stock wing and NO... I'm not going to try flying in on three engines, at least not until I get real bored.
Thanks Karl.
Chuck
Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Chuck, that sure is a keen machine! That 1st flight sounds kinda like my 1st one w/ my Seamonster! I think I have a little + incidence in the wing saddle, or the stab. ain't on quite right. Mine was also a bit tail heavy[X(] and was like a roller coaster ride.
Do you have any problems with the props being close to the water? I'll bet it doesn't waste any time taking off when you pour the coal to 'er! If you do get bored some day, make sure you get some video so we can see what a 3 engined SeaMaster looks like!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
magyarbacsi

Check your wing incidence. Mine turned out 0 between the two and engine thrust was given 1+ degree. First flight same as all the others, a dream and predictable. I placed the battery pack as far forward as I could and that came out perfect without having to add weights.

My now defunct Mariner had problems with the incidence and every flight was unpredictable. I dont fly it as the wing was garbage and I fed it to the fire god. Still have the fuse and tail section.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Proptop,
I mounted the engines as high as I could to combat spray, works well but the mufflers kick up some water while taxiing at low speeds and that's not a problem. If you do a twin, be sure to choose your fuel tanks BEFORE you design your nacelle's and in the case of the SeaMaster, you do not need to remove the bottom wing sheeting or the leading edge from between the ribs .
Just remove the sheeting between the ribs at the end of the wing center section sheeting and start cutting paper templates till you find the shape you want.
LOL.
Chuck