Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Eagle 2... On Floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Carl Goldberg Eagle 2... On Floats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Eagle 2... On Floats?

Hello...

I was planning to buy some of the Floats which are manufactured by Carl Goldberg Models and transform my Eagle 2 Trainer into a Float Plane once I am done learning with it...

Has anyone done this with this particular Model?

Do you think it will work?

Thanks for the help...

Matt
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Carl Goldberg Eagle 2... On Floats?

Shouldn't be a problem. You need a strong engine, maybe a .45 two stroke or .56 four stroke.

You might want to look into the Falcon Trading Company ready made floats. I have a set of the Goldberg floats on my 81" Cub and they are just the right size. I think they would be too big for the Eagle.

The Eagle's trike gear setup could be a problem. Most floats I've seen are designed for taildraggers.

Anyway, with the right engine and the floats set up properly the Eagle should fly great. I've had my Eagle for a couple of years and I still enjoy it Much more relaxing than the Patty Wagstaff 2.4 gasser.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

just a clarification...floats can be mounted on most aircraft (regardless of the wheel configuration ) as long as there are hard points (1/4" plywood ) installed in the for the front and aft float struts.

Pretty much any trainer makes a great float plane as long as it is set up properly.

I'd agree that the Goldberg floats are bigger than you need, and they are pretty heavy too..
Old 12-20-2004, 05:12 PM
CraigA

Sukhoi_Madness,
The Eagle makes a great first float plane. Here is an article..kind of Floats 101 that will give you some insight to float design, sizing and flying. http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html
Also note this shows a neat way to mount a trike gear to floats...using the nose gear holes in the motor mount. I have used this method with success such as:

Good luck and keep us posted.
CraigA
Old 12-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: fox35

Shouldn't be a problem. You need a strong engine, maybe a .45 two stroke or .56 four stroke.

You might want to look into the Falcon Trading Company ready made floats. I have a set of the Goldberg floats on my 81" Cub and they are just the right size. I think they would be too big for the Eagle.

The Eagle's trike gear setup could be a problem. Most floats I've seen are designed for taildraggers.

Anyway, with the right engine and the floats set up properly the Eagle should fly great. I've had my Eagle for a couple of years and I still enjoy it Much more relaxing than the Patty Wagstaff 2.4 gasser.
Thanks for the Advice Dude... I have a Super Tigre .46 so power should not be a problem... Takes off on land with about 2/3 Throttle...

Sweet, I will sort the correct floats...

I actually really like my Eagle... It's my first Airplane, so I guess you get kinda attached, but I really really like it...

My worry is that with a 4 * 60, RV-4, and Sukhoi on the way, my Eagle will sit collecting dust... Turning it into a float plane will not only satisfy my interest in the area, but also keep the eagle flying...

Thanks...

Matt
Old 12-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: nony

just a clarification...floats can be mounted on most aircraft (regardless of the wheel configuration ) as long as there are hard points (1/4" plywood ) installed in the for the front and aft float struts.

Pretty much any trainer makes a great float plane as long as it is set up properly.

I'd agree that the Goldberg floats are bigger than you need, and they are pretty heavy too..
Thanks Dude...

Matt
Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: CraigA

Sukhoi_Madness,
The Eagle makes a great first float plane. Here is an article..kind of Floats 101 that will give you some insight to float design, sizing and flying. http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html
Also note this shows a neat way to mount a trike gear to floats...using the nose gear holes in the motor mount. I have used this method with success such as:

Good luck and keep us posted.
CraigA
PHAT!!!

Will do some research...

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Falcon-Trading.com makes a mounting strut set for trike gear planes to go with your Eagle. Their stuff is made by ARC-Modelfly in Italy. I don't know if they are available in NZ, but if you can get them at a reasonable cost, their floats and struts would be the easiest and best solution for you.

Jim
Old 12-22-2004, 05:58 PM
CP140

I too am looking at putting a set of floats on my Eagle...I had bashed a kit version into a tail dragger while I was learning on the ARF version. I picked up a set of floats at an estate sale a month or so ago that had last seen service on a scale Cub. The floats have kick up rudders on both floats which are controlled by pull-pull cables off the rudder/tailwheel.

From the measuring I've done, it looks like I'll be able to remove the front mounting wires from the floats, remove the wheels from my main gear and slip the axles into the mounting points on the float... then I'll just have to make up mounting point on the rear fuse to accept the rear float mounts (wire struts).

The set of floats that mount to the nosegear block would probably be easier and would allow relatively easy adjustment of the incidence as well. I saw a similar set in action at our club's last float fly... just make sure the wire that goes into the nosegear block is tight or this happens....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63255.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	205812  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:11 PM
magyarbacsi

I have flown my Eagle 2 with floats. Flies easily with my Surpass 48 4 stroke, 11x6 prop. Enough power. I used a set of Sportsman EZ floats that I can no longer find. I took some of the dihedral out and could even fly inverted with floats. Looked interesting.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Oregon Craig

http://www.pbase.com/rcairnw/image/21665553/original
There's a nice one!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:52 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I did the little Eaglet on GeeBee floats and with a bushing 25. Flew great. But it needed extra fin under the tail. They spin like crazy!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Thanks guys...

Will post when done...

Check this one out from the link above... Looks GREAT!!! [8D]

Matt
Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 PM
gumhead

heres my eagle on floats [8D]

Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most any trainer will fly fine with floats. Probably the best floatplane ever is a Kadet Senior. I have a 5-year old Senior Telemaster that has most of its flight time with floats, and it's fabulous, too. For an Iggle, use floats in the 32-35 inch length range. THe step should go under a point 40% of the distance of the wing chord. (about a half-inch behind the balance point. Some will say to install the floats with the top of the float parallel to the bottom of the wing. I think you will like it better if you raise the leading edge of the wing abut 3/8" higher than level. If anybody tells you to install the floats parallel to the stabilizer, run from him. The Eagle's positive-incidence stab would screw up the angles totally if you tried this.

With the Iggle and its sharp leading edge, it doesn't fly well inverted (with wheels). You will probably notice with floats that it will do inverted stuff that it would NEVER do before. The floats in the pic above look a lot like falcon floats-a good choice. Goldberg and Great Planes floats are huge and heavy for the rated size.

You can fly without water rudders. If you cut the throttle to idle, the plane will point into the wind, just like airplanes do. If you hold full up and add about 3 clicks of throttle, the tail of the floats will dig in and the nose of the floats will lift out of the water, so the plane will weathervane DOWNwind. Holding full UP and gently modulating the throttle will allow you to taxi crosswind....but use the ailerons to help keep the plane from blowing over.

For takeoff, cut to idle and the plane will weathervane into the wind. Initially hold full up and add throttle. As the nose lifts and the plane gets up on the step, relax the elevator and let the plane gather speed. Once you are going fast, take off normally by using a bit of back pressure on the elevator.

Landing, fly in and land normally. Into the wind. Gage your altitude by watching for the plane's reflection if the water is smooth. It usually works to add a click or 2 of power so that the plane will almost but not quite maintain altitude, and it will touch the water ever so gently. It's a beautiful thing when you ge it right.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
gumhead

The floats im using are Super Flying Model 40 size fiberglass floats. I have zero incidence to the wing and she takes off with no sticking. The eagles a nice little plane to fly off the water...