Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

40" sea commander floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

40" sea commander floats

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:12 PM
ms200a
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 40" sea commander floats

i picked up a set of 40" sea commander floats and i am looking for a plane to fit them. i will be using a thunder tiger pro 120 for power, even if it is over kill, and was looking at the model tech dragon lady but i am not sure of it's fuse length. it has a 66" wing. i am also looking at great planes ryan sta it's 60" length and wing is 80"
what do you guys think?
thanks for your help
mike
Old 01-15-2005, 05:42 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 40" sea commander floats

40" floats are good for most .60 size airplanes. Astro hog, Kadet Senior, etc. These are on the small end of the magic formula for the Ryan STA: Take fuselage length and multiply by 75-80%. With a 60" fuse, you'd normally use 45" to 48" floats. If the STA is particularly light, it would still work.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:51 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 40" sea commander floats

I'd vote for the STA or something similar. The STA is very light for it's size, the Sea Commander floats are pretty heavy. The wing loading of the STA on Sea Commanders should still be resonable The wing loading of the Dragon Lady is high to start with and with Sea Commanders added, it would be scary. Don't worry too much about the length of the floats. The Sea Commanders have a larger than usual cross section, giving them better floatation than their length would indicate.

Jim