Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Modelfly Ready hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Modelfly Ready hinges

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modelfly Ready hinges

I recently purchased a used Ready with floats set up locally. Got it for a decent price, but discovered that one of the elevator hinges has split and separated from the stab. If you are familiar with these planes you know how it is set up. The wing and hinge is a one piece molded ABS and can not use conventional hinges as the thin ABS will not hold th slit type. I have seen in the past some cloth type hinge where strips are wrapped over and under from stab to elevator in a alternating pattern. Dont know who makes them.

Has anyone tried to repair such a hinge, and does Falcon have an easy but neat fix?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Modelfly Ready hinges

Foremost (I think) makes a gapless cloth hinge that would work. You can also do it with alternating 1-2 inch strips of cloth CAed to the stab and elevator. Neither one of those will be pretty though.

I would install CA hinges in the usual manner, then drill a large hole in the tip of the stab right in front the hinge line, hold the stab tip-up and pour in some thinned 30 min epoxy. You don't need a lot of epoxy, just enough to run down to the center and leave 1/8" or so along the hinge line. Then let the fuselage sit nose up until the epoxy sets. After the epoxy sets, do the same thing to the elevator.

You can cover the holes with stick-on trim sheet.

Jim
Old 02-05-2005, 04:07 PM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

Falcon Trading Company has a PDF file under Repair Tips that tells how to repair damage, including the hinges. You might check that out at:

http://www.falcon-trading.com/index.cfm

They recommend iron-on hinges as replacements. That would be the easiet if you can find them.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 PM
magyarbacsi

Thanx for all of your input. Will check the repair section.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Foremost IS the company that made the iron on hinge, you might try contacting the company or trying to find the hinges in a hobby shop, they may still have a pack in one of the older shops. I have used these hinges often, granted they don't look the best but at 30ft who can see them.
Another way that is simular to the foremost hinge is to cut 4 strips of fiber packing tape about 1 " long. Take 2 of these strips and put them togeather by overlapping the glue sides about 1/2 " then slide them into the elevator slot until the overlap is at the hinge line. Then press the tape down top and bottom. Now do the same thing with the other set but this time alternate the tape (top and bottom of the elevator) so it makes a hinge like the old u controlers used. Make sure you clean the surfaces good they probably have fuel on them.
You should really enjoy the Ready on floats I know I have for about 7 years, it was my first venture with floats. ENJOY !!!

PS after hinging this way I always lightly coat the hinge surface with CA, then you can use a paint pen or marker to sort of cover it up.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts are cheap for these. If it's that much of a problem, just order a new stab.

I have the modelfly Ready II on floats. I bought the whole plane on ebay with servos, radio gear and engine all done. I figured if the guy didn't do such a great job building it and since it was plastic, I would take it apart and fix it. I was shocked when I won the bid because I stole the plane. The plane came with an OS .46 and it would just barely get the plane out of the water with a head wind. So, I weighed the plane and it weighed 8.5 pounds. I had to modify alot as the plane is only supposed to have a .46 and Modelfly doesn't sell anything to help install a bigger engine in that plane but, after modifying and installing an OS .61 FX, the plane flies great. The extra power was just the ticket. I put about 8-10 flights on it today and it was a blast to fly.

I also leave my planes about 2ozs. nose heavy and make sure that I don't under power them and since I began doing this, all of my planes have flown much better.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
magyarbacsi

Does sound a bit heavy at 8-10. Mine, with a Magnum 52 2 cycle came in at a little over 7#. That 52 pulls it just fine. Never had a long run and in head wind, lifts right up. The Magnum 52 has same bolt pattern as OS 46 so it just bolted right in. I also have the Cessna that is as much fun to fly, but do have to watch your speed when banking. Too slow and it will tip stall, snap roll.

I fixed the hinge problem by using alternate strips of clear packing tape. Got over 15 flights like that and not a hint of loosening. Its a great flier for as heavy as it is and quite aerobatic.