Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Sig Sealane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sig Sealane

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 AM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sig Sealane

I receiced a Sig Sealane kit for Christmas. Has anyone built and flown one yet?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Turbobeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Sealane

No,not yet but I do know that this kit has just been reviewed not too long ago in one of the modeling mags.Can't remember for sure which one it was though.Anyone else remember seeing this particular review on the Sig Sealane kit?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Sunny_B

A member of the club I'm in built one and said it fly great with no problems. He did modify the throttle servo setup as he felt it was poor at best. He mounted the servo on the pod I think , after some trimming. It kind of looks like a big Aqua Star to me. I do love Sig kits though. They always seem to build nice and contain above average wood. Sunny
Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The review was in the Dec 2004 issue of RCM. They said it was a nice flyer and quite aerobatic for a flat bottom wing.

Jim
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 AM
vrodsc
My Feedback: (5)

It has been one of the most frustrating kits I have ever built. There wasn't a straight piece of wood in the whole kit and if i was to rate the balsa it would be poor. The plywood wasn't too bad. Go out and get a good palm sander or some other small sander and be ready to spend a lot of time sanding. Get new furnace filters because you'll be creating lots of dust. A tremendous amount of shaping to be done. The weakest point of the whole plane is the motor pylon and the directions aren't good on how to hook-up the throttle cable you have to figure out alot of the placement on your own and the gas tank is non removable after it's installed. Now I know why the Mariner is so expensive, it was money well spent. There is also too much dyhedral in the wing, it'll only fly in low wind situations. Other than that have fun it would have probably been better to buy a Cub with floats.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 PM
dbrcer

I built one that I took to the Skymasters float fly last summer and it is, by far the best sea plane that I've ever had. I've also had a Seamaster,Northstar,Laker. Mine had very good wood in the kit and it went together very fast(for me,I build slow) It flies very well and will knife edge as far as you want to go.The only problems that I had when building it was the shaping of those darn balsa blocks. Mine were extremely hard. But I bought the Great Planes balsa plane and that helped a whole lot. For power I have an OS 40 SF and the only thing I'v noticed when flying is that it climbs like a trainer when you advance the power. I'm going to try to mix that out when it gets a little warmer.
Dave
Old 02-09-2005, 12:45 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend has one and while I can't tell ya anything about building it, I can tell you that he raised the engine pod height a little bit to swing an 11" prop. He has an O.S. .46FX on it. It flys fairly well inverted for a flat bottomed airfoil, and I agree with the others about it's characteristics. Climbing under power is a characteristic of a flat bottomed airfoil...
Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good flyer, and the only other recommendation I'd make is to put some spray deflectors on either side of the bow to keep the spray out of the prop during taxiing, because it might sit kinda low in the water, depending of course on how heavy it ends up being...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

The latest issue of R/C Report (Mar) has a review of this plane.