Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Supermarine on Floats- Need help!!!

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Supermarine on Floats- Need help!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supermarine on Floats- Need help!!!

I just purchased a Supermarine on Floats locally. The seller who sold it to me does not know much about it. The Supermarine appears to look very much like a Spitfire.

It is the S6-B Supermarine, Blue and Silver color.

The dimensions are: Wings Span 90" (3 piece wing, with the two ends coming apart for trasportation)

Length 80".

Floats length are 70"

The plane came with Servos and no motor. I am not sure if it ever flew.

Questions:

1. Who makes this plane or kit?

2. What motor is required for this plane?

3. Are the 70" floats too big for 80 inch fuse?

4. I have flown mainly cubs on floats. How difficult whould it be to fly the supermarine?

5. Any other comments or suggestions would help.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Supermarine on Floats- Need help!!!

A picture would be helpful.

Jim
Old 02-11-2005, 03:34 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the S6-B was just before the Spitfire, early 30's vintage...It was a Schnieder cup trophy racer, and a very hot machine for it's time! The full scale A/C had huge floats in comparison to the fuselage, so it might be a scale plane?

I don't recall seeing a kit of it, not in that size anyway, but somebody else might know...I'd say it's probably scratch built from plans.

The weight will help a lot in determining an appropriate engine...How much does it weigh?

It's a "racer" so it ain't gonna be much like a Cub! so I would suggest some help, at first anyway...

Personally, I'd say if it's not too heavy, and it's built strong and straight, it oughta fly quite well, (maybe)

Give us a little more info...
Old 02-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Bill Teller

RE supermarine S6B
I am building one from plans. My floats (still on the plans) will be as long
as the fuse minus the rudder. What little I have found says it was some plane. They apparently only
made one. so no varity in paint schemes. Blue & silver don't impress me for visibility.The blurb w/ my plans say it cut at least one timed pass @409 mph in 1931 I bet it still holds the speed record for prop drive float planes.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

The Supermarine S6B was the third seaplane racer to come out of the Supermarine factory in the late twenties and early thirties. There was the S6, S6A, and finally, the S6B. With this plane, the factory outright won (winning 3 years in a row) the Schneider Cup, beating the Italians. These races were the first time that G-LOC was experienced by pilots in the turns and several were killed before determining the cause (One fellow managed to regain consciousness before he crashed and thus they figured out what was happening). The lessons learned from the development of these racers were instrumental in the development of both the later Supermarine Spitfire and the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, without which Britain certainly would have had a much harder time during the Battle of Britain. By the way, the designer of the S6 series racers and the Spitfire was Reginald Mitchell. Soon after designing the Spitfire, Mitchell died of stomach cancer. Although he did get to see the aircraft prototype fly, he passed away before production started and never knew the contribution that his design made in helping to win the war.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 02-11-2005, 09:01 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the original question... It sounds like one of the giant scale Schneider racers that were scratch built for the Schneider reinactment races held at Lake Havasu for several years in the early 90's. I may know the specific airplane, but I'd have to see a picture to be sure. The one I'm thinking of used a custom built OS 600 four cylinder four-stroke. Weight as I remember was over 30 pounds. It was heavy, fast, and not easy to fly. Most of the others used 75 to 100cc gas singles.

Jim
Old 02-12-2005, 02:14 AM
inroad

sounds like the Pepino sb-6,the plane flys well with a G-62,floats are big but scale,they held fuel on the full scale

Gregg
Old 02-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Grandslam,

If your S6B is built up from wood, it was most likely done from Jim Pepino's plans which are still available. I think Mrs Pepino runs an advertisement in Model Aviaton magazine amongst others. If it is a fiberglass fuselage then, it is most likely from the molds that Kenny Bundt ( Think Byron Originals) built for the Schnieder Cup races at Lake Havasau in AZ.

The reason I know is that I bought the tooling (Molds) from Kenny a few years ago and laid up fuselage for myself and a friend. It was allot easier than cutting out all those formers and bulkheads and sheeting everything up.

The molds are currently at ConachenAircaft.com and Jim also has a set of fiberglass floats available to go with the fuselage for those who may be interested.

I have yet to build mine but I can tell you that you need to check the floats to see if they are built to scale with the curved waterplaning surface or the flat waterplaning surface. The curved surface (scale) is tricky to take off from water. Jim and Myself determined that to make life easier, a flat waterplaning surface (as most current float designs are now)would make takeoffs alot easier. Besides, at a 100+ MPH, who's going to notice what kinda float bottom shape you're running!

Post some pictures of the bird as soon as you can and good luck with your S6B.

Carlos G.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Carlos G

Hi Grandslam,

Do you hve any pictures to post of the S6B?

Carlos G.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

I was away for a while and therefore, did not have the opportunity to log on RC Universe.

Thanks for all of you who responded and provided helpful information.

Yes, the plane is all wood. I was told it was in a Meseum for a while. The plane appears old.

I will get tome pictures and post them. Perhaps that will help someone recongnize it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
dicknadine

Looking for the photos/pictures. sure keeps me interested. Dick
Old 12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Airboatflyingship

Hi I will try posting some pics and links..theres tons out there but this will help you a bit I can only add a bit at at a time but here goes tell me when youve had enough but thats a very big Plane....if its true to scale be warned the originals had some control issues the control surfaces on the tail were a bit on the small side. the floats sound about right ...big boots and skinny panties on these birds[X(]
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/schneider7.html
http://www.hydroretro.net/coupeen/coupeeng.htm
http://www.hydroretro.net/coupeen/av...arine_s6a.html
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2
Youi may want to check out this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419315
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33891.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	371066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84495.gif
Views:	400
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	371067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98474.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	371068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13892.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	371069  
Old 12-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I've seen a couple of these flown with G-62's and talked to the builders. With the scale float design, they are very, very tricky to get off the water...if it is not airborne by the third bounce, you are in big trouble. It is a high performance float plane and needs to be approached as such........
Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 PM
evil_moshin_dude

Hey ive recently purchased the plans for the S6B by jim pepino can anyone give me some idea as to what engine would be adequate for it i was thinking somewhere along the lines of an 8hp mvvs single cylinder engine but i dont know, also would it be a safe bet on sheeting the underside of the floats in aluminum of some sort? cheers
Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you could have a look here;

http://www.kitcutters.com/Pep/PepSupermarineS6B.htm

It could be the 85 in variant ?

Im very interested in the total weight of your plane? That will be a deciding factor on the engine.

Im in the process of ordering the 85 in variant myself.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Carlos G

Hi Kwik,

I believe the Jim Pepino plans show a Quadra 35cc engine. Most likely a 50 to 75 cc gas engine will give you plenty of power to handle the 85" S6B. I would guess that the 85 inch S6B would weigh in the neighborhood of about 25 to 30 lbs ready to fly. A large scale float plane has to be well built to handle the harsh loads from water landings that are greater than what you would expect in a land plane.

CarlosG
Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Carlos. I have a G-62 for it. Probably a good choice?

People talk about using non-scale floats.....So how to get drawings for "non-scale" floats, I wonder....

I ordered drawings and a fullkit from here;

http://www.kitcutters.com/Pep/PepSupermarineS6B.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 AM
simhatus

Hi

I have flown various schnieder type planes, They pretty much go where there pointed if you have flown other low wing planes then you should be ok.

They don't like to be slowed down, and if the engine stops won't glide to well.

Simon
Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 AM
bob57hdt

Carlos G,

I would be very interested in knowing more about the Kenny Bundt molds for the Supermarine S6.b. I saw Kenny at the Schneider Cup Re-Enactment in Lake Havasu and I know there would be people interested in a fiberglass airplane rather than built up. I would be more than happy to post it on the Schneider Cup Website... www.schneider-cup.com

Bob
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
bob57hdt

Carlos,

Have you built your Supermarine S6b yet? If so please post pictures and details. Are fuselages and floats available to purchase? Let us know

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Vic86406

Originally Posted by Carlos G
Hi Grandslam,

If your S6B is built up from wood, it was most likely done from Jim Pepino's plans which are still available. I think Mrs Pepino runs an advertisement in Model Aviaton magazine amongst others. If it is a fiberglass fuselage then, it is most likely from the molds that Kenny Bundt ( Think Byron Originals) built for the Schnieder Cup races at Lake Havasau in AZ.

The reason I know is that I bought the tooling (Molds) from Kenny a few years ago and laid up fuselage for myself and a friend. It was allot easier than cutting out all those formers and bulkheads and sheeting everything up.

The molds are currently at ConachenAircaft.com and Jim also has a set of fiberglass floats available to go with the fuselage for those who may be interested.

I have yet to build mine but I can tell you that you need to check the floats to see if they are built to scale with the curved waterplaning surface or the flat waterplaning surface. The curved surface (scale) is tricky to take off from water. Jim and Myself determined that to make life easier, a flat waterplaning surface (as most current float designs are now)would make takeoffs alot easier. Besides, at a 100+ MPH, who's going to notice what kinda float bottom shape you're running!

Post some pictures of the bird as soon as you can and good luck with your S6B

Carlos G.
I would love to get one of those fiberglass fuselages for the S6b or any Schneider trophy racer.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Vic86406

Originally Posted by bob57hdt
Carlos G,

I would be very interested in knowing more about the Kenny Bundt molds for the Supermarine S6.b. I saw Kenny at the Schneider Cup Re-Enactment in Lake Havasu and I know there would be people interested in a fiberglass airplane rather than built up. I would be more than happy to post it on the Schneider Cup Website... Schneider-cup.com

Bob
The website has been moved to Schneider Cup | The Coupe d'Aviation Maritime Jacques Schneider ...Note - No Hyphen...