Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

75% NorthStar

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

75% NorthStar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 75% NorthStar

Peter I had a 45 on my full size NorhtStar Why in earth did he feel the need to put a 42 on a 75% one. They are fast enough as it is I would guess a good BB 30 or 32 would be plenty more than needed. I guess he could keep up if not fly by them with little effort. Cant wait til I get my new one built, the little one is a blast to fly and the older one just got into bad a shape and had to be retired. Laddy any Mod's you can suggest to improve the NorthStar would be appreciated before construction starts.

Pete
Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
PeterC

Well I had a ST 51 on mine. I guess it's the need for speed. When there are two or more Northstars up at once speed is everything. The Northstar is somewhat restricted by the thick airfoil so it will only go so fast. That is what makes the Arrow a much faster airplane. The Northstar is still the best handling of the two IMHO.
Peter
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM
simhatus

Hi

I have flown several arrows and the north stars. I think the arrow flies better than the north star, The arrow is more manouverable and dosn't have the reluctance to turn that the north star does.

I do like flying either.

Simon
Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have the reluctance to turn
Mhh what do you mean ? Roll ? Or pitch while banked ?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
simhatus

Hi

pitch while banked.

Its no problem and i do have mixed elevons with the elevator.

just is the reason why i think the the arrow handles better than the north star.

The arrow is more precise, goes where you intended it to go.

Simon
Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 PM
PeterC

I can't say I've ever had any handling problems with my NS. It flies like a delta should which means that it likes big, large raduis turns. The delta configuration has a lot of drag in tight turns and really slows it down, so I don't do that. Agreed they both fly great when airborne, it's jsut getting an Arrow off the water every time that leads to some excitement. I also find landings with an Arrow more of an arrival than a landing. Both are great aircraft though.
Peter
Old 09-23-2007, 03:15 PM
jmupilot

Dang , its been 2 and a half years since I started this project. I have flown the 75% Northstar off snow and hand launched it but never got to try it off water until last weekend. It's a true Northstar just open the throttle and it tracks true and straight in the water. It gets up on step and just kinda sets there until up elevator is applied, then it just lifts off nice and smooth. It's truely amazing how Laddie designed this aircraft so that it flys so well with out being overpowered. I have the nitro powered one too and with a Fox 45 B it will haul the mail pretty damned well. I have evolved the 75% one to a TeamOrion Wind MS brushless that is a 1210 KV motor that pulls about 15 amps at full throttle with a 8x6 prop. It weighs 34 oz ready to fly. Loops rolls and inverted are easily done, and landing is just one of the smoothest I have done with any seaplane. I have a few pic's of the 75% Northstar on the pond from Sundays flight. I was alone so didnt get any flight pics or vid's but will soon and I'll post them.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34552.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	768420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71615.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	768421