Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Grumman Widgeon

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Grumman Widgeon

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
ellysbro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Grumman Widgeon

This is the Widgeon that I modelled for my quarter scale rebuild. It is owned by a fellow who owns a motel near Disneyland. It is kept in his double hanger at Chino Airport, not far from here. In the hanger are about a half dozen classic aircraft, including a Goose and a twin Beech. Last I saw him, he was living in a small room in the hanger, due to a divorce.

This Widgeon has been completely metalized, and has constant speed props. I have some detail shots, but not (sorry Avaiojet) of the landing gear. At the time, I had no intention of having retracts in my model. The smiling guy in the window is me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54591.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1164370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68429.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1164371  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ellysbro,

Aren't you that guy that was in Jurassic Park?

Last I saw him, he was living in a small room in the hanger, due to a divorce.
Tell him to take a room in his Motel, he can write off the loss.

I'm all set with the gear, fortunately. Incidentally, this Thread goes back five years. One would thing there would be some drawings available by a modeler. But knowing me, I would rather draw my own.

You're fortunate to be close to an actual Widgeon. It could come in handy for information on detailing. Got recent photos?

Now, if I could only get some answers to my "many" questions.

Like the size of the radial cowlings on the full scale aircraft? [:@]

Name:	Rp42133.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1164403  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
ellysbro

Aren't you that guy that was in Jurassic Park?
Do I look like him?

(If so, he is one lucky dude!)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Donairplane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charles, Give me the N number I'll see what I can do. Yes I do have the Mystery ship. Been on hold for a time but back on it as soon as the weather gets better so I can start painting. I may be able to get some pictures of a widgeon
for you that I took a few years ago. Don.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
ScaleAero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet : I use Streamline
Charles
Charles:

I am curious how well Adobe Streamline will convert Paul's drawings. The drawings are also available in digital format which permits perhaps a cleaner auto trace. Paul's style of anotation on drawings makes it more difficult or inconvenient to acquire a scan that will convert cleanly. I had a copy of Streamline years ago...and have not found anything as good since it somehow disappeared.. : ).

Its been a while since I viewed my CD images I got from Alan and his mother years ago. They own the rights to Paul's drawings and produced an excellent image CD with documentation photos and Paul's drawings packaged together.

Because you purchased hardcopy I think acquisition of a digital copy is not considered violation of copyright. Let me know if you want a try to convert an original scan file Alan did. Back when he and his mother had Historic Aviation I did a lot of promotion for them.

Few are aware of the huge archive they have of manufacturer photographic documentation. A real jewl considering the photos include those utilized to produce technical drawings. Portions of Alan Abel's archives comprise the Wind Canyon offering in CD. That is but a small % of the Abel's archives.

Let me hear from you back channel...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
ellysbro

I got acouple of CD's from a company in Florida that used to sell the Paul Matt drawings. The Widgeon drawing on one of the disks had been shaded to show the color areas, which I felt detracted from its clarity. The scan used to make the file on the disk appeared to be from the 8-1/2 x 11 inch version, so the lines were really fuzzy when I tried to scale it up. Lately, I tried to open some drawing files from the disk and git an "unknown format" error message.

Any comment?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Avaiojet

Donairplane,

The N# is in the photo of the blue and blue airplane. Maybe you can make it out? Possibly try a couple?

ellysbro,

The CD may or may not be of value to me. I still think you're that guy in the movie. don't forget photos of your widgeon's progress.

ScaleAero,

I am curious how well Adobe Streamline will convert Paul's drawings.
Streamline wasn't designed for tracing printed plans that are scanned into a file with poor resolution. Dittos for high resolution also. So, to answer your question, not well at all. In fact, a waste of time.

I'll have my Paul Matt drawings in a week, but don't expect to see gear drawings on them. I have what I need to draw great scale gear.

Because you purchased hardcopy I think acquisition of a digital copy is not considered violation of copyright.
A CD of Paull Matts drawings could be a benefit to me, if and only if i can enter the drawing images into my drawing program. Paul Matt's drawings will be fine.

I have, although the resolution is poor, drawings of the gear which I can work with.

Charles

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Avaiojet

I have my Paul Matt drawings.

23.00 to the door.

First thing I noticed was fabric on areas of the wing. Because I'm building the radial engine model, I have to find out if this aircraft had fabric there?

Impossible to guess this and I have no drawings of the Widgeon with radials?

They must exist, there has been more than one Widgeon equipped with radials.

Charles

Name:	Xu62771.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1167469  
Old 04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Avaiojet

Thanks to the support of many modelers, I've acquired enough information to progress forward. Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I have not acquired a three view of the Widgeon of which I have interest, that is, one with Radial engines.

But I have acquired what I need to draw an "extremely close" outline of the cowlings and nacelles. Better than a good guess.

The next thing I'll do is create and overlay a preliminary line drawing, of the nacelles, onto the drawings I already have in my drawing program. Remember, I now have these photos of Widgeon, actual 3-view drawings, (bitmaps,) enlarged to full scale.

This will allow for quick and easy math to determine any measurement on my 1.6 scale model. Actually the division of 6. Nothing hard about that.

When my drawing is completed, I'll post it in this Thread. It will resemble the one below of the Bamboo Bomber, which I'm also working on. Might think it doesn't look like much, but my drawing program will allow for any size drawing. I'll use the drawing as 1/6 scale plans.

Name:	Db85116.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1171142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83709.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1171143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78753.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1171144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88198.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1171145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17317.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1171146  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Scratchnhover

Hi guys,
Istumbled across this thread today while in search of 1/4 scale retracts for a Grumman Goose. We're working towards kitting a 74"Grumman Goose (1/8 scale) that Sky of Acme Aircraft designed, and we currently are in the prototype build phase.

Iread about 1/2 of this thread, and noted that gear was possibly going to be made for a 1/6 scale (or so)Widgeon. I'm interested in any size Widgeon retracts between 1/8 and 1/4 scale.

Let's talk aboutbuilding a few sets, or if you have seen anything out there that's avialable- new or used.

Thanks,
Mike
www.Fly2Build.com
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Avaiojet

Mike,

Great website!

It's one of those sites everyone should visit.

The Beech 18 looks like a great model and I actually have interest in building one. Not electric though. My interest is the tri-geared aircraft.

Many guys ask from time to time about kit cutters. I myself am looking for someone to cut a 1/5 Scale Grumman F3F-1 from my plans. Actually no wing stuff, just the fuselage parts.

I need a bit more information about tracing parts in vectored line format. I can do that.

We'll share information on the line art and cutting.

Again, great website and great model offerings, especially that fine looking Beech 18.

Charles
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
umd pru

FWIW.

My father works on/ modified/restores Widgeons. He's the man responsible for Widgeons you may have seen flying around with Lycoming TSIO-540 engines. Through his work on Widgeons, he was able to acquire EVERY Grumman factory drawing of the plane from an archived micro fiche copy of the originals.

We've been talking a LOT lately about getting started on a 1/4 scale Widgeon. I stumbled on this thread through a google search. Some here have claimed that a 1/4 scale Widgeon would be too big and expensive and you may just be right about that.

It'll be one hell of a project but I think would be really worth it!

I'll have to talk to my father about getting his drawings scanned to a digital format.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
greggK

Make a cool kit and or ARF and I WILL by one!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM
BillyJ

fixing to start my buddys widgeon kit !!! dont know the name of the kit but it has WS of 10' or better , glass fuse and foam wings ! I'll send pics as I build N92L of Houma La. I will have to cut and mold all engine cowls cause on Lycolming engines .. I'll keep yall posted

Name:	Vt57070.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1263184  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM
BillyJ

will be joining you guys with big Grumman widgeon model after N92L fullscale

Name:	Ca82053.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1263186  
Old 08-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Avaiojet

Umd pru,

Does your dad operate out of Cranland airport? I owned the Lake LA4-200T that flew in a few times in the late 89's and mid 90's.

I believe I know of your dad's accomplishments.

Charles
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
umd pru

Avaiojet

Roger, he did work at Cranland. He's since left that airport and operates out of a small shop in the same town. He recently finished this Widgeon:

That's actually him standing at the far right.

This Widgeon just won Reserve Grand Champion Seaplane at Airventure 2009. The judging was rigged though cause the plane that won was no where near the quality of this bird!

His previous project won Grand Champion Seaplane and is owned by the same person that owns the one in the picture.

Both are based in Michigan.

I also found out that my father ordered a set of Bill Effinger plans. I can tell you after looking at those on the kitchen table that 78 inches is a BIG bird and just the right size. 10 foot would be TOO big!

I'll be modeling my Widgeon after one of these birds. First, though, I have to finish a fiberglass Lake amphib I've had sitting around for a LONG time!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Avaiojet

Umd Pru,

Check that photo file again, I have no image! Be nice to see your Dad's work.

I'd like to know more about the Lake your building. Size, power, stuff like that.

If you followed this Post, you will se I have much interest in the Widgeon, especially the one with the round cowlings. I always put up a photo.

Eventually I will build such a model.

Charles

Name:	Bz78608.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1266146  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 AM
juva-4

Hello to all,

who can i find a 1:4 Plan for sale?
Thank you for all help

Pascal
Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 AM
BillyJ

will not fly ! Static display only .

Name:	Lj22113.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1293994  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

This could be one of the G&P sales 10 foot Widgeons??
Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 AM
[email protected]

I just purchased a wigeon 11' wingspan, 50lbs. with twin g-62's. Will travel to Nevada and pick up plane around the 15th. Here are a couple of pic.s of the plane.
[img][/img]

Name:	Jh16069.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1497627  
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
ellysbro

Daniel, It is not real clear in the photo, but the rudder appears to be rounded like the Grumman Goose, and the windshield and tip floats look funny as well, the windshield being way too high and the floats looking kind of straight nosed like the Goose, where the Widgeon's curve down, with the top actually meeting the bottom at the nose.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
[email protected]

Your right. The nose appears to be longer as well. I will have more pictures after I pick up the plane. The person that sold the plane is a pilot and avid flier, I am surprised that he did not know. He told me this was a J4F2 Widgeon. It surprises me that he has had this plane for several years and not flown it. I was hoping to display this bird in November at the War-bird meet in St. George, Ut. and possibly fly it there. Before I added a paint scheme I want to be sure that every thing is right with the plane. Thank's for your help.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Avaiojet

Built wrong or right, I think that model is super!

Kudos!!

Certainly changes could be made, but I'd do my research first.

Are the retracts for that model included?

What did you pay? Slap me! Did I ask that?

More photos soon?

Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.