Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Custom Privateer

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Custom Privateer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Custom Privateer

I'm posting this for my father who built and flew this plane. He'll post later with some details but here are some pics. Wingspan is somewhere in the 100" range and power is electric via an AXI motor. Built from plans, I believe he used both the original plans, and the subsequent plans from the kit (which was some 40+ years old). I think he got both sets from Northrops plan service.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61002.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	241898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24822.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	241899  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Default RE: Custom Privateer

Here are some pics of the build up of the fuse. Difficult to get any scale here, but the fuselage is about 7 feet long... maybe longer, Dad can clarify that.

Name:	Tr50595.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	241900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76441.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	241901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96178.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	241902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47392.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	241903  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:09 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

I apologize for the quality of these inflight pics, the model is quite blurry. Looks like a picturesque flying site though doesn't it?

Name:	Rp44686.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	241904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57433.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	241905  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fresno? Looks more like Kenai, Alaska

:-)

Looks really nice.
Don
Old 03-10-2005, 09:23 PM
VODOOFIXER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The photos and the first flights where at Topaz lake on the NV. Ca. border. The lake is at about 5000 ft el.
The ws is 114 in. and its about 8ft long. Just fits in my suv.
Power by AXI 1420-18, 14/10 APCE prop and a thunder power 5s3p 6000mah batt.
Gets off at less than one half throttle and makes great looking low passes and splash and goes with the lowest power setting.
I remeber the orig mag plans for this when they were pub in 1954! As Bill Northrop says this the plane that oldtimers say that they will build sometime. Well I did it!!!
Al Messer
Old 03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
vintagemxr

ORIGINAL: VODOOFIXER

The photos and the first flights where at Topaz lake on the NV. Ca. border. The lake is at about 5000 ft el.
The ws is 114 in. and its about 8ft long. Just fits in my suv.
Power by AXI 1420-18, 14/10 APCE prop and a thunder power 5s3p 6000mah batt.
Gets off at less than one half throttle and makes great looking low passes and splash and goes with the lowest power setting.
I remeber the orig mag plans for this when they were pub in 1954! As Bill Northrop says this the plane that oldtimers say that they will build sometime. Well I did it!!!
Al Messer

Al, I followed the link over here from the Vintage and Old Timer forum. Congratulations on building a fine looking plane! You must have used up a whole forest of balsa for that baby!

Doug

Old 03-12-2005, 07:11 PM
skypupmut

Congrats real perty
and perfect setting
sooo nice
Old 03-13-2005, 01:12 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That plane was designed by Don mcGovern, the former editor of Flying models,Deceased, And a primary draftsman for Berkley models in the 50's.
In fact the plane was called McGoverns Monster and was kitted by Berkley as the custom Privateer and cost $19.95 which was all the money in the world back then. Power was a Fox 59 and it flew on long Island Sound. I have the plans for that critter somewhere as my brother got them and forwarded them to me years ago.
To build that critter would require a lot of commitment and a forest of balsa. Even with all the sticks that were the trademark of any McGovern plane it would be an enormous expense, and challange.
A well done project worthy of a great big' Atta Boy'
Dennis
Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 PM
VODOOFIXER

thanks for the Atta Boy Dennis. This was just one of those things that must be built sometime and it was time. The wood wasn't as bad as one would think. It was mostly 1/16 balsa, with 1/8 balsa from the wing forward on the fuse. I already had the 1/16 on hand so I spent more on ultracoat than I did on balsa. In the 1960s I had a berkley kit but sold it. It looked like to much trouble. So 40 years later I build it from scratch, crazy. However I just can't see how we build anything in the 60s without ca glue!!!
Al
Old 08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
jojop

Gorgeous Airplane! I'm following in your footsteps, even to the electric power. I just got the kit, and will have the plans soon. Do you have anything to add? Any late photos? Is the plane still flying? Any building hints? Would you change the power system? Thanks for the look at what you did.
Joe Jopling
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 PM
VODOOFIXER

Hi JOe
The plane is ok. Have not flown it this year. I have been building and flying pattern planes. Yes the are all electric. As for changes I would suggest, Make the elevaor larger. Mine is too small and if I get to slow I run out of travel. Not a biggee, just can't get as slow as I would like. Not that you could tell if you were watching fly, but I would like some more el. You must remeber that this is a free flight model and it likes one speed.
As for power, I am running a Axi 4120-18 and it is way more than needed. I never get to half power to take off and must reduce to about 25% after lift off. I would look into a Axi 2826-10 with a 14/7 apce prop on a 3s lipo. I am running this combo on a E3D and the power is great. Don't forget that the plans show 2lbs of weight is needed in the hatch area to balance. I added 1lb of lead in the nose pluse the 5slipo batt to balance. So you could use nicads or nim or anything cause it dosen't need much power but dose need the weight.
Enjoy the bulid, I sure did.
Al
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this the plane that oldtimers say that they will build sometime
So true!

Glad someone finally made it. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
jojop

Did you build from the Berkeley plan? Your keel looks much wider. Also do you have a sub keel to clamp to?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 PM
jojop

Al, I sent a reply but I must have done something wrong because I don't see it. So I will try again and excuse any duplication.

I think my plan is the original Berkeley and it does not show and elevator, but I can see the size of yours in the photo. so supersizing should be no problem. I think McGovern was working with a single channel for rudder with a slave for getting 3 engine speeds. The plan says the polyhedral can be omitted for RC so I think I will do that. Thank you very much for the response.
Joe
Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Ugo Ferrari

'Scuse me fellas. After seeing that beautiful Privateer I just had to show you guys the one that was flying at our field this weekend.. I belong to one of our Senior members, John Hicks.
He built about 40 years ago , I think. John is in his eightys a least. Anyway he's added Landing Gear to fly at our Navy runways. He has a ball just putting around the patch ! He's got a Super Buccaneer he flys that he built when he was a teenager ! He let me fly that one !
Anyway FYI !
Ugo

Name:	Us54049.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	512928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51060.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	512929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87332.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	512930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88748.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	512931  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Beautiful!

Don
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
VODOOFIXER

Hi Joe
Iused plans from BILL NORTHROP'S PLANS SERVICE. He includes the mag plans from AIR TRAILS (1954) and the Berkeley plans. So in my case I used some info from both plans. The central keel came from the mag plans, but all outlines were from the Berkeley plans. You said you have a kit. Did you have this cut? If you did what plans did they cut it from? If you have to cut out the parts it takes a little longer, but it wasn't all that bad. Ribs were stacked, carved and sanded the spar notches were cut befor unstacking. I felt the hardest part was cutting out all 28 bulkheads for the hull. All are at least in 2 parts with about 24 I think are in 4 parts. Lots of parts, but its all fun? Its a good winter project, I started in Sept. and completed it in Jan. not to bad. After I completed it in Jan. my next project was BANCHEE arf and I finished it one afternoon, what a differance!!!!!!!!!!!
Al
Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 AM
jojop

Thanks, Al
I have a real, sure nuff Berkeley kit. All ribs and bulkheads are die-crunched. They are not too bad and will just require patience in finish cutting. I am surprised at the excellent condition of the wood after all these years in an attic. I realize the kit is worth a lot unbuilt, but I am going to do it anyway. I do not have the kit plans. They are coming soon and are in pieces from years of being bug food. I have been told that they can be stuck together sufficient for building. In the meantime I have a set of tif plans from http://www.myunclewillies.com/berkeleyplans2.html. These are not good enough for a build because they were simply laid flat and copied. Willie did not misrepresent them, said they were"as is". He usually redraws his plans and has done so with McGovern's Monster, the name of the plane before it was kitted. The plans I have are ok for boning up on construction and getting stuff together for a large project. I don't intend to start until around the first of the year. My cup is full right now with redoing our club's web site (after learning how first). For anyone thinking of building one of these, a short kit with plan is available from http://www.klarichkits.com/. Looks like they will kit anything old. Back to the keel. I will attach a jpeg of part of the plan with the keel on it. You may be able to see that it is not nearly as wide as yours. I might be able to make new if you think there is an advantage to it.

Disregard the following. I understand it now------Also it looks like your build has some extensions that raise the keel up in the air for laying in the longerons. True? Should I do that?
Joe

Name:	Db84969.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	513355  
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
agghound

Hey guys

I have a Berkeley Custom Privateer my grandfather built from plans in the late 50's , originally it was covered with silk and dope. He gave it to me about 15 years ago before he passed. He was a machinist by trade and a master builder. All the years I've had this I've wanted to finish it and fly it but between work kids and church there's just no time for hobbies. Maybe once this kids are out of the house.

I've kept in inside for all these years and needless to say it takes up a lot of room, I'm looking to possibly sell it and I'm hoping someone out there may be able to give me a little guidence. I know the shear size makes shipping cost prohibitive.

This is a beautiful ship and the airframe is nearly flawless after all these years but it would have to be stripped and re-covered.

If anyone has any thoughts please respond.

THANKS!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:55 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Coincidence! I am almost ready to cover another of McGovern's designs, the Piranha, smaller than the Privateer. Came out about 1969, plans are still available from Flying Models. I had one back then, flew it off Lake Ilopango in El Salvador with a Veco 45 up front! I don't remember much about the first one, I probably built it stock then, but though I am following the original outline except for the nacelle to allow a bigger tank (original was 4 ounces!), I have used my own ideas on a lot of the structure. I have also added ailerons which the original did not have - less dihedral. For example, his horizontal used 142 (142, not a typo!) pieces, mine is open framwork with 24. Engine will be Magnum 52, Airtronics radio.
Nice to know there are still builders around..............
Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 AM
jojop

Sorry, Ugo. Really nice airplane, but had to see what it looked like without wheels

Name:	Db85977.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	533348  
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM
DGM

I have one sitting in the rafters in my garage that someone framed up. I bought it at a swap meet a couple years ago. It needs repairs and TLC. If anyone is interested Klarich Kustom Kits in Rancho Cordova, CA had a short kit (formers and ribs, etc. and Berkeley Plans) available a couple years ago. Do not know if it is still available. You might try him at 916-635-4588.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
jojop

I have started framing mine. I'm using the Berkely kit parts and the fuselage plan for McGovern's Monster--redrawn by Uncle Willie (see my previous input). The outside lines seem to be the same back to the step. Aft of that, the lower fuselage line tapers more sharply to the tail so that the fuselage is about 3/8" less deep at its aft end. I have recut the affected formers to match. There are still issues on the forward fuselage and I am having to recut some of the outside edges to get a smooth side flow. I might be better off getting the Clarich kit, but I think I will stick with this for the moment. Bottom line: I have started, it ain't easy, I can still quit or change course----or, if a partial build or used airplane shows up at the right price, who knows???

We have a float fly every year in August. You can get a look at www.fwthunderbirds.org. Go to EVENTS/FLOAT FLY
Old 04-11-2007, 07:24 AM
jojop

Agghound, please check your email/spam filter for a message from me. If not there I can resend.
Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
pweisser

Do you have or do you know where I can obtain plans?
Thanks,
Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.