Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Avoid this

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Avoid this

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avoid this

I posted a praise for one of VMAR's model, the Discovery, after I flew it with floats. (2-13-05) I had many flights on this high wing trainer and all were enjoyable and the plane maintained it's good behavior. I have always cleaned it and dried it after every flying session before putting it away. I've recently noticed the tail section developing some droop. No problem, heated it with an iron and straightened it, but did notice a few black spots that appeared to be beneath the covering.

I have been busy playing with the Ready and Cessna by Model-Fly and have not paid attention to the Discovery until yesterday. The black spots have spread all over the bottom and sides of the fin and stab. I performed an exploratory and found the entire tail section rotting with mold and beyond repair.

I have converted several of Goldberg's and Sig's models to float planes in the past and even after years, they have not developed the moisture problems/mold like the Discovery. I conclude that VMAR's model will not last long when exposed to damp environment.

I still have the DeHaviland Beaver 60 ARF in the box and now hesitate on spending the time to assemble it and fly it as a sea plane only to have it rot in a few weeks. I'm pretty well restricted to float flying, so this kit may never see action. My Seamaster, that sits in the water at times of take off and landing has continued to perform well and still has not leaked a drop of water. The same for the Ready after I sealed all the few open joints, i.e.. around the saddle and float mounts.

If some one is interested in the Beaver, for land use, contact me. I wont give it away, but will make you a deal.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:22 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Avoid this

This may sound drastic, but it sounds like drastic measures may be needed...

Try pouring bleach into the area, slosh it around a bit, then pour out the excess and let it dry.

That should kill anything that's growing
Old 03-21-2005, 02:51 PM
magyarbacsi

I paid $69. for the plane and it's not worth all that. The wood was too rotten and eventually the rest of the frame would deteriorate as well. I got it to see if all the criticism about VMAR planes were true. The covering is tough, but hard to get the wrinkles out less you use high heat. I think i would have been ok if not used as a floater. It did handle well and even with the perpetual wing warping, the tail section, only minor trim was needed. It is now saw dust. On the plus side, the frame took some effort to brake down so they are tough and none of the glue joints gave in. The wing frame was a bit brittle and I think a more than minor mishap would have damaged it. It wasn't a total loss as I did have about 10 enjoyable flights and got some practice making float mounts out music wire, and learned something.

I still have3 ARF models to assemble, eventually, and 3 flyers, not including the Beaver.

The Beaver is made of the same material so now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe when I run out of things to do, I'll strip it, seal the wood and recover it with Ultracote.

After the ABS models by Falcon, I'm spoiled as very little care is required to maintain them. Spray it down with 409 or Windex, wipe dry, a little after run in the engine and put away.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ypur right about the Falcon planes!!! They hold up really well and build pretty easy also. No mater if it's for floats or land and I have abused them for years and still Love flying them. Enjoy!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
usnt28trojan

I am interested in the plane and wonder what price you would be interested in selling it. Is it the White or Yellow Version with the 6 ft wing span. I flew mine several times off the ground successfully, until I got hit with radio interference and it went into the ground.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Vmar uses a different type of wood I'm told, and it had tendency to crack lengthwise. None of the hobby shops around here carry the line because of this. Perhaps it is susceptible to mold as well.

I'd say let your experience be the judge of the Beaver's future......
Old 01-14-2006, 10:27 PM
PeterC

I think you will find most planes which are used as float or sea planes will develop mold and begin to rot if the frame is not sealed before the covering is applied. Some of my early planes have begun to do that but the later ones are OK; since I started using Balsarite film formula (clear dope is just as good) before covering. Ask anyone with a wooden boat about rot!
Peter
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 PM
fellixx

I'm curious to know if anyone tried calling VMAR support over things like this? All I can say is if you do, you better be ready for a run around. I have a friend that had problems with the instructions that came with their Cessna and basically was treated very badly by them. Even to the point to where their customer service person used profanity. Not a good situation at all. His experience pretty much scared me away from them but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Wing-and-a-Prayer
My Feedback: (3)

I've tried calling VMAR (richmondrc dot com) many times with questions and when I finally did get through , they were very rude indeed. I also sent several emails during the two months that I tried via telephone. Have not recieved a reply by email to this day. I certainly have written them off my list for future possibilities ...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:44 AM
chopo

<<I've tried calling VMAR (richmondrc dot com) many times with questions and when I finally did get through , they were very rude indeed. I also sent several emails during the two months that I tried via telephone. Have not recieved a reply by email to this day. I certainly have written them off my list for future possibilities ... >>

Very rude to me too. Im glad i have company but i bet you weren't called what i was :-)