Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Sig SE on Floats

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sig SE on Floats

Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
NorthernBoy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig SE on Floats

I have batting around the idea of setting up my old Sig SE on floats for awhile now, and I finally picked up a set of GeeBee plastic floats at a good price so I am going to give it a try. Does anyone have any experience setting this plane with floats (eg. step location, angle between floats and angle of attack, balance). Note this is not my first float plane, but hopefully it will be funnest .

Thanks
NB
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
TPAGEL
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Sig SE on Floats

I have one of my SIG SE's on floats that I made from Chuck Cunninghams fine article on float construction and It is a very nice set-up and worked perfect from the first flight. If you can get an online copy of the article it answers all your questions and then some. I can't remember the on-lind addy but it has been posted before and maybe someone , Jim Casey?, will be kind enough to repost it for you. You will really enjoy flying your SE off water.
Tom
Old 03-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I just bought a set of 32" slocan floats for my SE Looking forward to flying off water myself this coming week. I am setting mine as per any other setup.
I'll have to watch your thread here for a bit
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 AM
NorthernBoy

I have a copy of Chuck Cunninghams article, it is great information. The only question I have is what to set the angle of attack at. I was thinking of going 2 Degrees and hoping it will be good. Float step location will be right in the center of the wing tube, I believe that is Sigs recommended CG. I am going to be able to test it on snow since up here we won't see water for another two months.

Any other feedback would greatly appreciated.

NB
Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM
JimCasey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lindy's website with the float instructions is http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html

As much as I am a documented nonadmirer of GB Floats, they'll probably work acceptably on an SE just because it is light and overpowered, and you could bolt it to the dock and it would still take off in 4 feet.

Do not misconstrue that last statement. A good set of foam floats would still be better.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
TPAGEL
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for comming thru, again, Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 PM
seaplane

NB, I put my SE on a pair of my 30" floats and it became one of my favorite planes to fly. I made a pair of aluminum mounts so the front one replaced the wheel mount and added a hardwood block in the rear of the fuselage for the rear mount. I placed the step at the CG. I can send along dimensions if you like..........Seaplane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	248196  
Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 AM
NorthernBoy

I have my step placed slightly behind the recommended CG. I have made up two new aluminum gear, now I just need to add a plywood mount for the rear mount. I am planning on setting my attack angle at 2 Degs.

Seaplane - What did you set your angle of attack at?

Project is coming along pretty good.

Thanks
NB
Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

With an aircraft configuration like the SE, you want about 2 degrees minimum positive incidence between the wing and the front of the floats. Looking at the plane from the side, the front tips of the floats are further away from the fuselage than the back of the floats. I did this on my low wing Cloud Dancer on Goldberg Superfloats and I was in the air in 25 feet with average power. Works great.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
WA Flyer

I think you will love the SE on floats. I have been flying mine on GP 40 size sport floats (heavy) for four seasons. The foam floats would be a better choice.

Another thing not mentioned is the flaperons. While it works well without any flap action, drooping the ailerons for takeoff and landing a few degrees (making the upper aileron surface a streamline shape compared to the upper wing surface) makes touch and goes an addictive sport. This requires a computer radio. On the Futaba T6XA I use the "AIRBRAKE" function to get the flaperons down with the flick of a switch. This also allows retriming the elevator for pattern speeds.

Have a ball, Paul[8D]
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
seaplane

NB, I made my two aluminum float struts exactly alike, therefore the top of the floats are parallel to the bottom of the fuselage. I intended this to be a starting point, but it worked so well, I left it alone..........Seaplane
Old 03-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Hughes500E

Hey, do you guys think the rudder on this plane is large enough to steer about without adding water rudders ?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:42 AM
seaplane

Yep, I fly mine without one. Check my photo in my other reply.....Seaplane
Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Goinstraightup

Agree again with Seaplane. Try it without first, you'll probably be fine.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Hughes500E

right on, that's what I was hoping for
Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 PM
NorthernBoy

All done my Sig SE on floats, just waiting for the right day to try it on the snow before trying it on the water. I will keep you posted.

I also need to get some pics and post them.

Thanks for all your help.

NB
Old 03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guy's.
I just finished my first set of float's. There foam, and flat. I really didnt want to make a big deal on the first set, just wanted to try them to see how it is.
White 1lb foam with packing tape. Used the stock gear in front and made a wire back half to tie it together. Pretty ugly compared to seaplane's but.......here it is anyway.

I will be testing them out in a few. Maybe shoot some video too. We will see.

Thanks for the help.
DK

P.S. It only added 8 oz's !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85168.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	251599  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM
da king

Ok guy's, it was pretty windy but other than that, it was fine. Check this out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

DK
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

Can you show us how u made ur floats Daking watched the vid and they work pretty well
Old 04-01-2005, 06:45 AM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

I'm adding floats to my SE too!

One question though, how did you protect the airleron servos from getting wet? I would imagine, that since they are on the bottom of the wing, that water will easily splash on them...then the glitching would start...

I plan on dropping my servo's into 'Dip It' from Home Depot. Then use O rings and silicone grease to protect the spline.

Anyone else do anything to protect the servos from the water?

JB
Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 AM
da king

Blue ski's........I only flew for a few min's but i didnt have any problem's with the servo's. I guess as long as you dont dunk them there fine. The bottom of the plane did get a little wet but it wasnt that bad.

Flying scott.........I printed out the page from post #5. Took the measurement's and started cutting. There white foam hot wired to size and shape(band saw would be faster and easyer) then taped with packing tape!! That's it !! Super easy and light. I epoxied four blade's (1/16 ply about 1 inch wide and 2 inch's deep ) into the foam for attachment anchor's instead of the ply all the way acrossed the top with dowl's like the link said to.

Mine were just flat bottom. I didnt want to spend too much time or cash on the first set. Just wanted to try it to see. It was super easy and fast. The next set will look more like seaplane's, Love those float's.

If you still need pic's, let me know i will snap a few.

DK
Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Goinstraightup

Glad all worked well Dennis!

I've tried in many posts / conversations to get people to build the same floats as you for their respective plane per the Chuck Cunningham plans. Don't know why people don't want to go the simple way. There's just no better / cheaper / simpler / lighter way to float fly than the exact set up that you went with.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2005, 09:06 AM
da king

Really? Man, dont know what to tell ya, I had mine done inabout 2 hour's. Could have them done in a lot less time if i used a band saw, even a hacksaw would work !!

I cant believe they worked that well. I have read a few post's about guy's having problem's but, these work perfectly. Watch the video! It take's off and land's like it's on wheel's. I have seen video's of plane's tipping over, and was worried about it but, even in the high wind's i was flying in, the plane never wanted to tip over. I will be making a better set for sure. The next set will have the v-bottom. I just like the way it look's a lot better than the flat bottom. Plus, i just had some wire laying around i used for the back strut and some wheel collor's. Pretty ugly but it worked. Next set i will try and get a hold of some flat stock for the strut's, ala seaplane, did i mention i love his SE!!! Very sharp !!!!

DK
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Goinstraightup

Yeah, I use the band saw on mine. I did a set of wood floats once (Goldberg Superfloats). They worked great, but took almost 30 hours from start to finish and were HEAVY.

I've always used the flat bottoms. They work Great!

I forgot to mention one thing in my list of great things about foam floats.......Waterproof!!!, even with packing tape covering!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
WA Flyer

Blue Skies..........I never had a problem with the aileron servos either. I assumed that since they were on the bottom, any water that splashed on them would fall right off. After a couple of seasons, I did remove the servo arm, and monokote a patch over the servo bay with a hole punched in the middle of the patch for the drive shaft. can't see how significant water could get to the servo now.

The main waterproofing that I used on the SE was a strip of Scotch Magic Mending Tape (I think that's what it's called - the clear tape with not too much tack) around the front and side joints of the radio access hatch. Never saw any water inside. Having said that, I think the Corrosion-X idea is really good, particularly if you ever go near saltwater. Lost an old Orbit rig to corrosion in less than 15 minutes years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.