Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Low Wing on Floats???

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Low Wing on Floats???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 PM
jarchu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Wing on Floats???

Ok Ive been in this hobby for sometime and owned every plane from a Nexstar to Rascal 110 G26, Duraplane, Funfly etc. I flew all these planes on skis now summer is comming Im putting the rascal on floats. But Ive recently purchased a Hanger 9 Twist 3D which flies nicly on skis. Is it all possible this thing would fly on floats? I realize it would loose its 3d Meanvering but just to fly around? What kind of floats would you use? I did see a Gee bee On floats once. Thanks[8D]
Old 04-03-2005, 10:03 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Low Wing on Floats???

Your plane may not loose any acrobatic ability on floats, in facy it may stay the same, or get better. The floats add lift as well as drag. Many pilots report that knife edges are better with the floats. I've found that inverted flight does not require any down elevator due to the added lift........Seaplane
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
britbrat

The rate of roll will be reduced, as will the vertical performance, but it will still be highly aerobatic.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:41 PM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some planes, i.e. Falcon Ready on floats, take a little more coaxing to pull out of a spin. It seems the floats have a pendulum effect. I found this out after I was warned by the previous owner and tried it. Fortunately I had the altitude in my favor and recovered in time. Take it up high first and see how it responds before you give the plane a total wash down.

And then again factors that will affect any axial maneuvers are the weight, stance and height of the floats. A figure skater will draw arms close into body to increase spin to throw up speeds. (I know I would after the first few spins)
Old 04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, it'll be fine. I have seen numerous fun-fly type planes on floats that did not seem to lose maneuverability at all. Of course, if you bolt a 14' sears aluminum jon-boat to it you will slow things down, but with a decent set of lightweight styrofoam floats it may not weigh any more than with wheels. Also since the plane is so light and really does not spend much time taxiing, you could go even smaller than the 75% guideline for selecting float length, thereby making your float installation optimally light.