Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Newbie to seaplanes

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Newbie to seaplanes

Old 04-10-2005, 12:06 PM
gtcway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to seaplanes

I'm interested in getting a seaplane. I've spent the last few days reading through the posts in this topic. I have a little experience with a r/c airplane. I had a tower hobbies .40 trainer a few years ago but because of where I live couldn't find a good spot to fly. I'm surrounded by water and I really enjoyed flying so I'm trying to get back into it. I became really comfortable flying but smashed the wing on a powerline pole while banking on an approach to land and gave up. I'm thinking of going with a Seamaster ARF or a trainer on floats. I like the idea of the aerobatic abilities of the Seamaster but think this might make it more difficult on the first flight. What do you recommend for someone like me? I'm looking for the easiest to learn on right now.
Thanks.

Also, is there any chance of inverted flight and rolls with a trainer on floats?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Test005

Default RE: Newbie to seaplanes

Falcon Trading sell a few plastic planes. these planes come as a floatversion too, floats included!
There's a trainer (Named Ready), a Cessna and a Beaver, all high wing designs. Bulletproof and 100% water resistant, I'd go for one of those.
(I have the beaver myself and it's a pretty good flyer)

http://www.falcon-trading.com/

Make the necessary mods to protect electronics from spray and go fly.
Make sure you have a small boat to retrive the plane if you crash or the motor flames out.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:14 PM
old-pilot

GTCWAY;

Are you surrounded by fresh water or salt water? Salt is 100 times worse. You miight want to stick with a Tower trainer 40 for a while. There are other really cheap high wing planes the guys here are using.. Falcon Trading Company floats or Super Flying Models floats (Hobby Horizon) are easy to put on. The Seamaster sits pretty low in the water, but the trainer is prettier and just as aerobatic in the air... FWI, sometimes I fly from a sandy beach with skiis. Lots of fun..
Old 04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
gtcway

I'm surrounded by saltwater and have a boat for retrieval. I was also looking at the trainer from US Aircore which is made of plastic. I want to make a decision by next weekend. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Test005

The salt water is bad for electronics and engine.

If I were you and were going to fly in salt water I'd get this setup:

-Plane:Falcon Trading Ready
-Engine, I'd invest as little money as possible in the engine since it might be spent pretty fast in salt water...Second hand two stroke 46-51 size.
-Bag the reciver in a latex glove to waterproof it.
-Seal the wingseat with latex to prevent spray from coming into the radio compartment.

ps. I don't fly off water. this is just my "theoretical" thoughts to help you with some ideas.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 AM
dicknadine

if you thinking of flying from SALT water, forget any thoughts of absolutly protecting it. there is NO absolute method. ask any boater-- its a losing effort. you end up enjoying it and then getting new play toys. but I still enjoy it. attached my landing strip in front of my house. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96189.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	257315  
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
seibertphd

Well, I've been flying a Tower Trainer 40 on Gee Bee Floats since January. I have a lake in front of my home, and after a few years of driving out to the fields I decided to take advantage of the unlimited runway on the water. On the ice and snow things worked great - once I decided to put the antenna up on the transmitter. :-( And since the ice melted, I have been taking off the water. The GB's work much better off the water than I had expected given the poor reviews I have read here. I have not had a problem with them at all! The most important thing I have learned is that it is essential to take off and land into the wind. Sometimes it is hard for me to tell the wind direction on the water, since it tends to swirl around the little bay I am on, but any attempt at crosswind takeoff or landing has ended badly. SO now, before each flying session, I paddle my canoe out a bit to get a sense of the wind off shore and plan my approach accordingly. Good luck and happy landings!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test005--- The Falcon planes are made of a SOFT ABS plastic, some of the others are made of hard plastic and have a tendency to crack, your choice just ENJOY!!!!

Cassadaga NY---- Ever though of putting a small windsock on a float ???? Just a stick on a float with a small streamer works.

The Redhead
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: seibertphd

Sometimes it is hard for me to tell the wind direction on the water, since it tends to swirl around the little bay I am on, but any attempt at crosswind takeoff or landing has ended badly. SO now, before each flying session, I paddle my canoe out a bit to get a sense of the wind off shore and plan my approach accordingly.
Taxi your plane out and let it set in the water at idle and the wind will weather vane it and it will automatically be pointing into the wind.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
seibertphd

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try! Update on the Gee Bee's - I was out flying last night and found my right float was taking on water. I think there is a small pin hole right at the seam on the step. Frustrating. [:@] A dab of glue would probably take care of the problem until I get my foam floats cut out.....
Old 04-19-2005, 12:48 PM
seibertphd

Oh, and the stick on a float idea - I assume you mean something other than the plane's float? Otherwise I would think even an idling engine would give a false reading.... ?? I've considered sending out an RC boat with a little windsock. I actually have one for my car antenna (er... windsock not boat ) and it would work nicely out there. And that would give the kids st else to do too!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a water rudder, an idling plane will weathervane into the wind. Pull up elevator and add a little power so the rears of the floats dig in and the noses are reaching for the sky, and it will weathervane downwind. Carefully manipulating the throttle, you can find a balance that will let you taxi crosswind.

WITH water rudders, you can have so much water rudder authority that the plane will point downwind no matter what you do.

RULE #1: If your motor is running you can steer with the air rudder. If your motor is not running...it doesn't matter.