Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

seamaster electric conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

seamaster electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 03:13 AM
wakewatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seamaster electric conversion

I''ve got glow powered 4 stroke seamaster and really enjoy it. I'm going to be doing some house boating in a few months and would like to bring a plane along. However don't want to mess with glow, noise etc so thought this would be a good opportunity to get into a lipo powered seamaster. Anybody do this? I'd like to do it right and don't have time for a lot of futzing around with prop sizes etc. So looking for some guidance. I want it to fly as strong as my glow powered seamaster and have decent length flights etc. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:31 PM
manix

Default RE: seamaster electric conversion

WW

What eng and prop size are you using now?

Old 05-30-2005, 12:30 AM
wakewatcher

I'm running a Saito .56 and 13x8.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Ezone http://www.ezonemag.com/ In the discussion forums there are 2 forums you should post this question, the Sport Planes (this is where the majority of conversions are discussed ) and the Seaplane forum.

The people there are highly experienced with electrics and can most likely provide you with the best setup (motor, ESC, prop diaxpitch and battery ). A couple of things that will make it easier for them to help you is if you provide the weight of the plane with the engine and fuel tank (if possible, also a weight minus the engine and fuel tank ), the wingspan and wing area. Also provide some idea of the type of performance and flight duration you are looking for (such as being able to do loops from level flight, and a flight duration of 10 minutes ). The above information along with some idea of how much you want to spend will get you a couple of different setups.
Be advised that brushless motors, ESC, lipo batteries AND chargers are not cheap (a special charger is required for lipo batteries)
Old 05-30-2005, 12:18 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I want it to fly as strong as my glow powered seamaster and have decent length flights etc. Thanks.
As Campy mentioned, most of the electric guys think looping from level flight is quite an accomplishment. Matching the performance of your Saito 56 is possible, but it will involve major money and lots of experimenting.

If you do get a trustworthy suggestion, please let us know what it will cost. And if you decide to go ahead with it, keep us posted on it's success. There are a lot of us out here who would love to go electric if true 46 glow performance were available for a reasonable price.

Jim
Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 PM
wakewatcher

Thanks. I'll get on over there and see what I find.