Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

.60 size Beaver?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

.60 size Beaver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Ledet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .60 size Beaver?

Does anyone make a .60 size Beaver? Plans, Kit, or ARF.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .60 size Beaver?

Unionville Hobbies in Canada makes Beaver Kits and I don't think they have a web site. I made one from the plans from one of their kits I found at a swap meet. It's a great flyer at 96" wing span with a 120 four stroke. Also KMP makes a glass fuse Beaver but it's a bit too pricey for me .....Seaplane
Old 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Ledet

I saw the KMP Beaver it is realy nice, but I am like you it is more than I can spind. I have a set of nice .60 size floats that need a good plane.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Well you could put those floats on any number of planes... But if you want to be different the Unionville Turbo Beaver or Radial Beaver (both have a 96" WS) or the 85" WS Norseman would fit these floats... They are more of a builders kit (lots of 1/4 X 1/4 stock) but build very light in the end, and fly very well.....
Old 08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Spuetz

Hello Ledet,

here in Germany a great 75 inch spanning Beaver is available as kit or ARF. Mine is powered by a Plettenberg 300-30-A3 and 5s2p Lipoly-Battery giving me 21 Volts and 4000 mAmps... (I/C- engines are illegal on lakes here in Germany).
I equipped my Beaver with landing lights, position lights and flashing beacon. The radial dummy is made from Williams Bros. Cylinders.

The Beaver weighs about 6.6 lbs all up, so it should be right for a 60-size engine. The kit is made in the Czech Rep. Here's their website. [link=http://www.hvp-modell.cz/plugins/diaporama/diaporama.php?lng=cz&diapo_id=5]HVP-Models[/link] Why don't you ask them directly, if they have a distributor in the US? I am sure that they will understand English.
If not, ask Peter Adolfs, who is the distributor in Germany. Here's his Website. [link=http://www.paf-flugmodelle.de]PAF-Flugmodelle[/link]
By the way, the Beaver in flight on his website is mine.

Here are some pictures of my new and my old Beaver. The new one is the one on landing gear (for testing reasons). The one on floats is my old Beaver. Unfortunately that one burned down due to a controller failure. The new Beaver comes from an improved kit with flaps, wing outline more to scale and wings made in wood construction rather than foam and sheeting... Even lighter. Great quality kit!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92736.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	305179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52070.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	305180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83666.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	305181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66864.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	305182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug53123.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	305183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw26539.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	305184  
Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always knew there was something I didn't like about electricity!!!!! Sorry about your plane and sorry but I couldn't resist the comment. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Spuetz

red,

don't be - at least for the comment! I hear you! And if you see my avatar, you know that I am a total fuel-buff... I love i/c engines - especially four strokes. I operate several seven cyl. radials and one nine cyl. (all Seidel), along with Saito twins and so on.
It is just not right to see that old Beaver workhorse heavily lift off the lake with the sound of a kitchen appliance accompanying it. I'd much rather have a four-stroke in it or something similar. But German law - oh well...

Another thing I found strange: When you take an airplane to water, you probably fear three of the four elements: WATER of course, cause it's a bloody sea plane! Then AIR cause it still is an airplane. And EARTH- well - your lake might be too short or your approach too late or it crashes into the ground or something. But FIRE? come on... Never thought that fire would be the end of my seaplane!... There you have it.

Cheers, Martin
Old 08-04-2005, 06:11 PM
magyarbacsi

I suppose I'll get 50 lashes for even mentioning this, but... VMAR sells two ARF versions of the DeHavilland Beaver. A 60-90 size and a 120. I currently have the 60-90 size but have not put it togethet yet. I've had this out of the box for months in hopes that the rumored problem of the wood rot will dry. I dont detect any dampness, but want to make sure it is totally dry before assembly. VMAR does not have a good reputation among builders for various reasons that you can look up and read for yourself. Aesthetically they are excellent for the price. I've had a trainer of theirs that I put on floats and the plane was an excellent flier and tracked straight as an arrow In a matter of a few months, mildew began to appear beneath the cover and upon further investigation I decided to scrap the plane as the damage was too extensive. It was a $ 70. plane so the loss was a lesson worth the price.

I did contact that German web site and hope the dealer speaks English, as I'm interested in purchasing the 75" Beaver.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:44 AM
lbianchi

Look at http://www.hvp-modell.cz: this is one all wood ARF model. There are floats like optional.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25554.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	305842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58844.gif
Views:	62
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	305843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79491.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	305844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73531.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	305845  
Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 AM
magyarbacsi

Ibianchi, I went to that web site but could not understand a word. I dint speak Checkoslovakian and I could find no way totranslate. The HPV website that was in English did not offer the Beaver.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Spuetz

Hi magyarbacsi

ORIGINAL: magyarbacsi

Ibianchi, I went to that web site but could not understand a word. I dint speak Checkoslovakian and I could find no way totranslate.
No way to translate? Come on! On the HVP-Wesite is a button saying "Kontakty". Well, doesn't that sound like "contact"? Try it! It leads you to their contact page and an e-mail-adress. They will have someone who speaks English, as the Czechs are a very intelligent people...

or better still: if you scroll down on that same page you will find a canadian address. They seem to be the distributer for the northern American continent.

Gotta be a little inventive or intuitive on the international platform, hey?
But let me help you here: here's the address:

United States of America
NAME PACIFIC MODELS
TELEFON / FAX 604 551-7555, 604 805-0002
ADDRESS 798 Wellington Dr., North Vancouver, BC Canada, V7K 1K7
E-MAIL [email protected]
WWW [link=http://www.rcmodels.ca]www.rcmodels.ca [/link]

Cheers, Martin
Old 08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
magyarbacsi

Thanks for the info, Martin and yes I did send them an email that I just got a reply on. Out of stock for now on the Beaver.
Sorry to say but my computer skills are dismal at best. I hone my other skills instead that do not require a computer. I tried to program mine once to build that log home my wife always wanted on our river. I went out the next day and it was not built. Had to resort to good old fashion hand skill and built it myself. Fired the computer, but I now have the log home.

Thank you again and happy flying

Karoly
Old 08-05-2005, 08:02 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Funny stuff Karoly

Off topic, I LOVE log homes. I've been trying to get hired all week by a guy in Big Bear that his company builds log house's. I would love to build those for a living, it would be a gas. Sorry guys for the hijacking
Old 08-06-2005, 05:08 PM
magyarbacsi

They are beautiful. Got 9 acres with 500 river front. It would be more beautiful with a nice rc float plane in front of it. Unfortunately, too many trees and the water flow gets fast starting in the fall. I've learned that no matter how far away they are, a tree will eventually attract and devour your plane.

I got a nice pair of Niagara floats ready for a plane. That Czech plane looks like it will fit the bill. It looks to have a flat air foil, the VMAR is symmetrical. From what I have read, the VMAR has a tendency to snap roll during banking. Sounds maybe it required more speed. My Falcon Cessna did that twice, once during a slow banking turn,tip stalled and went into a spinning dive but was able to pull out of it in the last second. Another time I put her into a spin and could not pull out as I did not have enough altitude to build up speed. Minor damage and she's flying again. I now know better and keep plenty of distance between water/earth and plane when duing fun stuff. Then I get conservative and cautious when fkying low. I Love that plane.