Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats

Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats

I have a Hobbico Superstar that I'm in the process of converting to a float plane. It's one of the RTF versions that came with engine and radio. I have recovered it, made a bolt down wing mount and changed out the OS LA .40 engine for a .46 FX in order to give it some more power to haul the floats around.
The reccomended CG for this bird is 3 and 5/8 inches back from the leading edge of the wing. It used to balance out of the box but now I'm going to have to put about an ounce and a half of weight on the tail to get it to balance. This was checked with the original landing dear still on the plane. I suspect the extra weight from the .46 FX is why it's nose heavy.
I'm trying to get a set of Falcon floats with the trike gear mounting set installed and I'm having some problem with the placement of the floats.
As near as I can tell if I position the step even with or a bit behind the CG then I'm going to have very little protrusion of the float tips out past the prop. I'm wondering if this will be an issue? I'm also having a hard time judging where the step is in relation to the CG by just eyeballing it. Is there a trick to doing this? I'm getting a bit frustrated.
Thanks for any help,
Michael
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats

The position of the step in relation to the CG is not critical. With the down-thrust you have in that Superstar, you will porbably want more float in front of the CG than the average plane just to keep it from nosing down under acceleration. You can put the step up to 1" in front of the CG without ill effect.

First, correct the noseheavy condition. Then set the airplane on the floats and block up the tail until the stab is level. Slide the airplane back or forward on the floats until it will teeter-tooter on the step. That is the CG. Now move the floats 1" forward and attach them. RE-BALANCE the airplane as needed and go fly!!

Jim
Old 07-18-2005, 08:05 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

---- & when you re-balance with the floats installed, add the weight to the FLOATS
Old 07-18-2005, 08:19 PM
sky_dancer

I'm really confused now. Everything I read about installing floats insist that the step of the floats should be even with or behind the CG of the plane. When you say I should rebalance the plane after float installation, should it be balanced at the manufacturers orignal suggested balance point of 3 and 5/8 inches?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:09 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, re-balance it to the original specification.

The rule of thumb is actually "within 1/2" in front or behind the CG". But that is a general rule which applies to the average sport plane. A trainer is not an "average sport plane". The trainer's higher wing angle of attack and higher engine downthrust makes it more likely to push the front of the floats down into the water as the airplane gains speed for take-off. Putting the float's planing surface (the part just in front of the step) a little further forward helps counteract that tendency.

Jim
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a hint on installing the float mounts on the Falcon floats: When installing the post in the float ( that the screws go into ) be sure you SCORE each post and then fill the hole (in the float ) for the post with glue ( I use epoxy and wipe the excess off with alcohol ). By scoring the post you give the glue something to grab onto and by filling the hole with glue you give it a chance to expand under the plastic and make a more secure bond.

If you have already mounted the mounts I suggest you put a screw in each post and give a bit of a tug just to see if it held OK. As far as I know it hasn't been a problem but this does make for cheap insurance. ENJOY !!! RED

Scoring: take your hobby knife and just cut little gashes all over the post, a dremel tool also works.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Oregon Craig

Good advice from Red Head. I had 4 out of 8 of mine pull out the first time I flew. When I re-did them, I followed Red's advice, and I also glued the mounts to the tops of the floats. I just took some fine sandpaper to these 2 parts, and took the "shine" off of them. I glued them with Gorilla Glue, but epoxy would be good too. I flew only once last time (WINDY!) but they stayed tight. Those Falcon Trading floats work very well. Have fun!