Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Slow Stik with floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Slow Stik with floats

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 AM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stik with floats

Needed a plane to fly at the lake this summer so I built a set of floats for my GWS Slow Stik.

Pete

sorry for the double picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51661.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	300147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56628.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	300148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84134.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	300149  
Old 07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Slow Stik with floats

Very nice! Jmupilot, what did you use to make the floats? Looks like blue foam board. Does it fly good?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:19 AM
jmupilot

sorry for the delay in replying. It flys just great, a little more sluggish but otherwise like the SS it is. Only needs a few feet of take off run to get airborne. THE floats te just two 1/2 in pieces of blue foam glued together with a 3/8 x 1/8 bass wood strip glued on top to mount the gear to. I didnt put a water rudder on because you cant fly the Slow Stik in any wind so it isnt really needed.

I'll try and get some flight pics and take off run pics next time i fly it.

Pete
Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Pete,

I hope to see the in-flight pics. Adding floats to my Slow Stick has been on my to do list for a while. Looks like fun. I have a lake near the house that I'd like to try it on.

Frank
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I bought a set of foam floats for my Slow Stick, and took it on a two week canoe camping trip. I brought along a buddy's solar charger panel trickle charger to top up my charger battery. Had a blast, flew great, and performance was not affected much. Ugly though the darn thing is, it was still a pretty sight skimming across the water in the evening calm. This was my first R/C seaplane experience.

The funniest part was twice, during a low pass in front of us, a bass or some other fish took a flying leap at it! I was flying maybe two feet up. Must have though it was the biggest tastiest dragonfly they ever saw.

I didn't do a great job protecting the speed controller and receiver, and a couple of times had to set parts out in the sun to dry off. Need to do better there.

This inspired me to do a float conversion of my Ultra Stick .40, which I just started today at lunch, the rear mounting block is epoxied in now and when dry I'll put a light glass reinforcement over it and recover the area. Should have it in the air (or dunked) this weekend or next week sometime.

Mike Dennett