Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Falcon floats water rudder question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Falcon floats water rudder question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 04:15 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon floats water rudder question

Ok guys, slowly but surely I'm getting this Superstar/Falcon floats project finished up but I got another question. The Falcon floats use a
rivet that you flatten with a hammer to hold the water rudder in place. You hammer it down tight enough to hold the rudder down in the water but still be able to kick up if it hits something. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a small stainless steel screw and locknut here? That would allow easier rudder replacement if you broke it or if you wanted to experiment with different rudder types and sizes.
What do you guys think?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Falcon floats water rudder question

Sure!!

You can use a SS screw (metric mind you) in place of the rivet. Remmember, its just a model, it won't know the difference On my Falcon Trading Cessna, i substituted the single stock water rudder, and modified the mounts to accept "dual" Earnst water rudders, and they work fantastic!!..

On my Falcon Trading Ready II, i used the stock water rudder, + i added the spare one from the Cessna to the other float! The dual stock water rudders on the Ready II work awesome also, i can turn a circle in under 10ft. I used the stock rivets, and set the crush tension snug, but after the maiden flight i discovered they were lifting from the water resistance, then staying up cause of the tension, so i made another small simple mod. I added a small piece of electrical heat shrink wrap over the pivit area (about 3/8-1/2") in length. This still allows a small amount of movement, but keeps them down so their effective, but would be overridden if i were to strike a floating object, so the rudder would not be torn off..

The result is, the system now works great!! about as good as the Earnst setup on the Cessna.

Now i'm not advocating the need for dual rudders, it's just a personal prefrence of mine, as the singles work effectively too when setup properly
Old 07-22-2005, 09:06 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the stock system on all 3 of my Falcon float sets and haven't had any problems. I don't usually pay much attention to turning in tight circles but haven't needed to I guess. As far as the rivet goes, it has worked fine for me for well over 5 years. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-22-2005, 11:28 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually you want them to lift once you are up to speed. That's why the Ernst have elastics? They stay down and steer then when you reach a speed where the air rudder is effective they start coming out of the water. That's just my understanding, anyway. Sure use a screw and locknut.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:42 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

The problem i had with the stock rudders on the ready was, during the takeoff (i presume) the rudders retracted, then once back on the water, i had no steering. So, the fix i discribed in the above post is what worked for me for now. Eventually, i'll mow them off and add the twin Earnst rudders as i did on the Cessna.

Again, like i said in the above post. I'm not saying it's a needed thing, just what i found worked for me. Do to the rough water we have in the afternoons, i found it dificult to manage turning into strong current trying to get back to the beach, and i no longer have that issue with the dual Earnst setup.