Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

deHaviland beavers

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

deHaviland beavers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:56 PM
Shawnusa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deHaviland beavers

Looking for good quality kits or plans for a deHaviland beaver with Floats. I'm interested in scaling it and also would prefer one that runs on Gas. Maybe a 1/5 or 1/6th scale. Is there any one making these in the older style that used radials?

Also, if you have pictures please share.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 10-28-2002, 03:25 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.ikonnwst.com/beaverf.html

Old 10-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Shawnusa

Thanks,

Nice looking bird. Do you happen to know anything about this plane or the company? What is the kit cost and how does it fly of of water? Can a gas engine fit or maybe a radial? The float version is may choice, what floats are available? Scale always preferred.

Sorry for the questions, but information is the means to a great adventure and a successful airplane.

Keep the info rolling. Any other manufactures or Plans?

Thanks,

Shawnusa
Old 10-28-2002, 10:02 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Beaver

He's left you a link on the website of Ikon N'west. Just clidk on the link and it will take you there. They manufacture the kit and floats. I have built one and used a Brisson 2.4 gas engine. It is a great kit and flies great also. You'll also like their Norseman Kit. Call Emil and he'll at Ikon N'west for pricing.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:16 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Best Beaver kit I know of is a BIIIG Secret.
It has sheeted foamcore wings and stabilizer, a molded fiberglass fuselage, and scale fiberglass EDO floats.
It's made by Tennessee Model Products in Oak Ridge, TN. They do mostly IMAC and pattern planes, and this is built just like a pattern plane under the skin. It is true scale, 100" wingspan.

Seems like the one I saw had a Moki 1.8 on it, but a gas engine should be pretty good.
Here's a link to TennModelProducts:
http://www.pub.nxs.net/dehunt/beaver.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32783_5143.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	20701  
Old 10-29-2002, 04:58 AM
PeterC

You might also look at the Canadian (birthplace of the Beaver) made "Unionville Kits. Thjey make the Beaver in a 6' and an 8' version. Very much like the Ikon-n-West kits. They also have a Turbo Beaver and the older Norsman. These kits require a lot of work to make them really scale like but if all you want is a flier then they arn't too bad. Giant scale stick and tissue type construction. I don't have an address for you but you might try "Google" and then type in "Unionville".
Good Luck,
Peter
Old 10-29-2002, 05:46 AM
TurboOtter

I have to second the Unionville kits. Lots of work but good quality kits. I have seen a few built and they are nice. Mark Turner http://www.de-havilland-models.com/ also has a product out, but I have not seen one in the flesh yet.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:53 PM
Shawnusa

Thanks guys for the links. Will be following up on them this week. Some day I'm going to take a tripe to Alaska and charter one of these birds just to ride in it. O'h and get in some good fish-in while I'm there.

Cheers,

Shawn
Old 10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
TurboOtter

Hey you don't have to go to Alaska, Come see me here in BC
http://www.inlandair.bc.ca/ more bang for your buck US/CDN Currency, besides our fishing is just as good.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:45 PM
PeterC

You're sure right about not having to go to Alaska. Victoria or Nanaimo, British Columbia have plenty of these ready for charter or sight seeing. Try the single engine Turbo Otter. Now that is a real aircraft.
I watched a pilot in a Twin Otter this summer back his aircraft away from the dock with reverse thrust, then turn on the spot with one engine forward and one in reverse, and then apply forward thrust to both and taxi out to take off. Only in Canada Eh!
I love it.
Peter
Old 10-30-2002, 05:05 AM
seaplane

I'm building the 8ft. Beaver from plans that I got at a swap meet. The plans are from Unionville, and the floats are included on the plans. Am about ready to start covering. In the last week of May I was in Anchorage Alaska and I flew in a chartered Beaver out of Lake Hood. WOW. We flew out to a remote lake and did a touch and go !!!!!!! I took a lot of photos and plan to cover my Beaver like the one we chartered. Hope you get yours.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Shawnusa

Does anyone have a link to Unionville? I would like to take a look at theirs. I just visited Planes Plus and they have a FiberglassClassics Beaver. Very expensive. I received a email from http://www.de-havilland-models.com/ and there is a 8 month waiting period. There claims are 85% scale. I like it, just don't care for the long wait.

Anyway, someday I will get that flight on a Beaver, and who knows it might just be in Canada.

Shawn
Old 10-30-2002, 08:15 PM
TurboOtter

Unfortunately Unionville does not have a web site. When I get home tonight I will post their phone number. http://www.greathobbies.com/frame_index.html does have the kit
Old 10-30-2002, 09:23 PM
kevin mcgrath

You dont have to go to BC or Alaska .Airdale flying services based on the river here in the Soo run a fly in service with a half dozen Beavers about 1/4 mile from where Im sitting typing this.
Unionville make very good value kits of the the Beaver,both piston and turbo,the Otter,and the Norseman in various sizes as big as 144"(thats right 12 feet which is exactly 1/4 scale for the piston Beaver)
No website but there are good pictures on the great hobbies site somebody mentioned.Unionville,s Phone is 905 640 1534 and ask for Joe Murray.
These are good honest builders kits at a bargain price in $US.They are stick and former with vg fibreglass cowls and heat formed windshields and can be used as full scale contest entrants if you have the detailing skills.....Go to WWW.members.shaw.ca/saultrc/mall%20show.html to see a unionville kit built by Clarence Boyer of our club and done up in Airdale colors and detail.Its actually better up close than this picture shows and as you can see by this photo and others in this set Clarence is a master builder and an expert with Monocote.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Blackhawk RCU

Default Zimpro Beaver

I am working on the Zimpro Beaver Jim Casey mentioned. It is the Cadilac of kits and should be a great flyer. I plan on using an OS 3500 in mine.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:01 PM
Shawnusa

Could you kindly post phpotos of your kit/building?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 10-31-2002, 01:43 AM
Blackhawk RCU

Default Beaver

I'm having trouble downloading my camera now, but I will try to get some pix.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2002, 05:38 AM
Flyfalcons

Heck just come up to Seattle to get a ride in one of these. Every time I go to max power I get chills down my spine.

Name:	33157_12146.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	20702  
Old 10-31-2002, 06:23 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default 125" Beaver

Here's one I'm building. 125" wing, G-62

Name:	33162_1465.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	20703  
Old 10-31-2002, 03:35 PM
Blackhawk RCU

Default Beaver

Hi Birdog,
Is this a kit or scratch?
Bruce
Old 10-31-2002, 04:07 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Default Zimpro Beaver

I got excited when Blackhawk posted that Zimpro Mkt. has a Beaver. I called them the same day. Dennis will be out of the country untill February, 2003.

I have flown his kits before. They fly great. I hate to wate that long, but I think his kit will be worth the wate.

Blackhawk, fix your camera, we need some pictures to get us through the winter.

Tony
Old 10-31-2002, 04:39 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default 125" Beaver

Blackhawk,

This is a kit from Conachen Aircraft www.conachenaircraft.com
Old 10-31-2002, 04:43 PM
Blackhawk RCU

Default Beaver Fever

Tony, you won't be sorry you waited and for my money you couldn't make a better choice. I had some questions and Dennis was great about getting back with answers, good customer support.
Bruce
Old 10-31-2002, 06:52 PM
n64uw

Coast Line Radio Control Models in British Columbia has 25% scale kits...Murray Marley is the proprietory...604-531-3380 is the phone number. Commander Floats is another one of his businesses...they make very nice water gear.

Conachen Models in Pendleton, Oregon also makes really nice kits or Ready to Fly ships. He has Beavers. http://www.conachenaircraft.com/index.html

I have the Coast Line Basic Kit with fuse, hardware, floats, cowl, and plans. I also have the Saito 450 for assurance on the front end. Landing gear plans can be talked out of Murray. The Conachen product is a notch higher in quality and price.

W. Stewart Tittle
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Old 10-31-2002, 07:10 PM
TurboOtter

Here is that Unionville Hobby contact #
PO Box 135
Markhan Ontario Canada L3P 3J5
Tel: 905 640-1534

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.