Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Cubby got a new pair o' shoes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Cubby got a new pair o' shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:54 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cubby got a new pair o' shoes

Just finished, thought a few might like to see my new (and first) floatplane. Vital stats-- 80 inch Hangar 9 Cub ARF, Great Planes 40 size float kit (fiberglassed and painted), .72 Saito inverted, 14-6 MA prop, Futaba servos and radio, MPI on-board glow for starting and over-the-water reliability. All up weight is 11.25 pounds. Questions and comments welcome, sniggering and guffaws tolerated:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87552.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	325641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41755.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	325642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35936.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	325643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36010.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	325644  
Old 09-18-2005, 05:17 PM
JimCasey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cubby got a new pair o' shoes

Looks good to me! Hurry and go fly before the blustery weather sets in!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:00 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good to me also!!! Make sure you have a recovery boat just in case, hope you never have to use one. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-18-2005, 10:27 PM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! A co-worker just finished a Kadet Senior ARF W/ floats. It is really nice. He lives on High Rock Lake and has a perfect location for float flying. I'll have something on floats soon. We should get together for a mini float fly. Could have 4 planes there.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:01 PM
khodges

One of our club members lives on Lake Hickory and we go to his house on Wednesday evenings and float fly from about 5:30 til dark. It's a perfect place; his yard is about ten feet above the water, we can launch at the end of his boat ramp, and he has several "aircraft retrieval" apparatus'. We usually get a good crowd of spectators out on the water, boaters slow down to watch. This is where I hope to maiden my Cub tomorrow. Will try to get some pics.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11.25lbs is really heavy....mine was porky at 9 lbs.

It should fly okay, you have lots of power and wing area...you will probably notice a pretty solid sink rate with power off, and will need to keep some power on to land, especially during the flair.......

I'd be interested in how it handles on the water without spreader bars. I see everything is cross braced, but floats tend to "walk" a bit, and this may not be what you want in all circumstances..

The floats are very nicely detailed...good luck!!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:17 PM
khodges

I actually like the extra weight, it won't tend to float as bad(in the air). My 1/5 L-4 weighs ten pounds and floats in ground effect to the point it doesn't want to land. The extra drag from the floats should also help reduce that floating tendency. Had some engine problems today, just didn't want to run. I 'm not sure what the problem was, but decided not to try the maiden. Kinda breezy, too. I did set it in the water, though, and there's plenty of float out of the water, should come up on plane nicely. I'll try again next week.