Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

taking off of snow

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

taking off of snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off of snow

can a sea plane such as lanier sea bird .40-.60 arf, take of on snow, i have been investigating these sea planes for a while but i want to know that first, thanks for your help!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: taking off of snow

yep....I think more people use float planes than skiis at our club
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DEFINITELY!!!

BUT!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure that you have a few inches of powder on top. If the snow is hard-packed, it will be like belly-flopping on concrete.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a SeaBird can take off from anything, but a >>>real<<< airplane with floats or a flying boat can take off from snow better than if it were equipped with skis.

ICY crusty patches are abrasive. Beware.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Definitely beware of crust! I built a pair of foam floats for my Super Sports 40S. I only fiberglassed the bottom to save some weight. There was a very small crust on top of the snow one day. After my first flight - which had lots of taxiing and touch an goes, I noticed the the foam was gouged out about a 1/2' deep right above where the fiberglass stopped. I guess whenever I turned, the floats would slide sideways a little and allow the crust to cut right into them. I would definitely recommend floats over skis though. There were more than a few days last winter when the snow was too deep for ski planes, but my floats had no problem at all.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Yes the Lanier sea bird can take off from the snow. I happen to own one and the only time i fly it is off the snow. Would i recommend this plane to anyone? Their are a lot better planes out there. I also use a Gee Bee Seahawk which is a smaller trainer type plane with a fifty inch wingspan on floats with an LA40 on it. At one time i also had a Hobbico Brightstar with skis on it. The Gee Bee Seahawk is a lot more fun than the sea bird. Would like to build the Sig Sea Lane that i've had sitting in the box for about two years. Has to fly just fine.
Dennis
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
skater_719

would i just be better off putting floats on my avistar, i have a .51 in it so it should have plenty of power
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Sure don't see why not.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
britbrat

I fly my Seamaster from snow all winter -- (it's snowing today). Absolutely no problems -- of course the Seamaster will will belly slide off any surface, including, sand & pavement (ouch). The Ultracoat skin on the Seamaster is not bothered by a crust on the snow, although sand & pavement definately hurt it -- I have accidental first hand experience with that [&o].