Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seabee RC-3

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seabee RC-3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:29 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seabee RC-3

I have an old mostly built 40-60 sized scale Seabee, don't know whether kit or scratchbuilt. Would like to finish and get ready for land and water flying. Have questions:

Where should the cg be?
Should I add end plates to the wings?

Here's a pic of the real thing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36834_13904.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	23222  
Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default CG help

There is a kit out there some where for this plane. I forget who made it. Long OOP. Yo're lucky to find one, if you want to sell LMK

The "CG" would be the same as any other plane.. most likely on the main spar if the wing is built up construction. Or 25-32% MAC
Look here for CG help

What do you mean by "End plates"? you mean Winglets?

Good luck
Old 11-21-2002, 07:52 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Bee

There are two kits out there for that plane one is single and the other is twin engine check G&P kits I think they make it they have an ad in the model mags
Old 11-21-2002, 08:03 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default End Plates

I've seen a number of Seabees with end plates on the wingtips apparently to keep airflow from spilling off the tips. Another common mod is downswept wingtips similar to some Cessna mods. There were plans for a scale .40 size Seabee in RCM years ago by somebody named Tom Mountjoy ( I think). His Seabee had balance problems which he solved by adding a removable "boom" to the nose with lead weight at the end for flying, remove for display. The plans and construction article are probably still available. The model I have seems like semi-scale or maybe the Italian version that I've seen. Right now it's inaccessible in my garage but I'll dig it out sometime and see about getting it ready to fly. There was a kit maker in Oregon ( I think) that had a larger Seabee and Twin Seabee advertised in model mags until recently. I think he had a Stinson Reliant or a Howard kit for sale too. Every so often these odd kits show up on Ebay for a pretty penny.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 PM
ArthurR

Default RE: End Plates

I too am working on a Seabee (Republic) seaplane and have it almost ready to fly.
Question; Does your plane balance anywhere near the main spar?
Mine doesn't even come close. To make it balance my engine would have to be moved 14 inches toward the front!!

Anyone have this problem also?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
bigguyplanes
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: End Plates

Arthur.....Thats why I sold my 10ft Seebee, with the large gas engine so far back I needed 8 lbs of lead in the nose to balance at at 27% MAC......Allen