Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Hello I'm New to the Forum. My Kadet Senior on Floats.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Hello I'm New to the Forum. My Kadet Senior on Floats.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Calusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello I'm New to the Forum. My Kadet Senior on Floats.

Hello I’m new to this forum. I have been flying nitro planes off the land for a while and only recently tried flying off the water, my backyard to be specific.

Wow! Floats are fun.

My first floatplane is a converted Sig Kadet Senior with Great Planes 60 sized floats. The plane is powered with an OS 70 FS. It flies great; this photo was taken on the second flight on a beautiful Florida January morning.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hello I'm New to the Forum. My Kadet Senior on Floats.

Looks awesome! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calusa, in my opinion you probably couldn't have picked a better plane for your first float plane. It looks like you are hooked! My brother put his Kadet on my 34" (40 size) floats and it works great and saves some weight......Seaplane
Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Oregon Craig

Beautiful is how I would describe it, too!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM
r/cdawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo the responses here. Very nice, and what looks to have been a beautiful morning to float fly!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:40 PM
old-pilot

Calusa:

Beautiful allright. Saltwater?? Sometimes I fly off the sandy beach with skis.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Nice Shot! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2006, 11:36 PM
the aeronut

Hey Calusa,
I just came in from working on my Kadet project and saw your post. You plane looks great. I'm working on the same set up as you ( a Kadet senior on GP floats) except I'm using a 61 two stroke. Tonight I'm finally at the stage where I have to figure out how to actually mount the floats and plane together and man do I have a bunch on unanswered questions bumping around in my brain. [] Would you mind sharing some info about how you set up your plane and floats? I guess the best thing would be for me to just list the questions I have and see if you can help.

1. What is the relationship to the float step and the positon of the CG as shown of the plane's plans? How far forward or aft of the CG shown on the plans did your floats mount?

2. Looks like you used the landing gear wire and hardware intended for the Cub. How did you have to modify the Kadet fuse. to accomodate that?

3. It also looks like you figured out a way to use a water rudder on the floats but given the empenage for the Kadet is so different from that of the Cub, I have no idea how to manage that. It looks like the Kadet rudder is too far above and forward of the horiz. stab. and elevator to link them up the way they suggest for the Cub.

Any info. or hints you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Aeronut,

I know that your floats are already made and the plans I'm giving you are how to make your own, BUT the info on set up is universal and you will find it very handy. Every plane that I've set up using these guidelines has performed great!

[link=http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html]Float Page[/link]

That is the main page and the set up page is shown on the bottom left.

Here it is:

[link=http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/files/Flt04.jpg]Float set up page[/link]

Enjoy

Jeff
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Calusa

Hi Aeronaut.
First the disclaimer, this is the first time that I have done this and I am not presenting myself as an expert.
In answer to your questions.
1. I followed the instructions from Great Planes that came with the floats and placed the step 1/2 inch behind the CG. BTW adding the floats did not change the overall balance of the plane.
2. Regarding the attachment of the floats to the Kadet. I used the wire provided by GP. The only alteration that I made was to change the angle of the rear support slightly forward. I did this by bending the wires that connect the front and rear supports. I then used an incidence meter to get the correct relationship between the plane and floats. I built a forward block out of two 2”X1/2” basswood blocks and the rear support out of three 1/8” basswood. The supports were epoxied together and epoxied to the bottom of the fuse. The bottom of the fuse had been cut out in the correct areas and a “strong support system” epoxied in place.
3. I left the base of the nose gear strut in place and ran a lazer rod from it to the rudder. Essentially a straight shot.

I’m out of town right now but when I get home I’ll e-mail you a close up photo if you are still interested.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
the aeronut

Yes, Calusa, some pics. would be great. Thanks.
Aeronut