Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Lake Buccaneer

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Lake Buccaneer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
flybug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Buccaneer

I'd love to build a Lake Buccaneer, can some one direct me to a set of plans?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:54 AM
daveosoar

Default RE: Lake Buccaneer

Hi Flybug,
I once had a Pilot kit ,and I mean KIT! of a Lake Buc. A beautifully presented mass of parts that grew into a fine a/c to fly from the land, but from water......! Check uk ebay as i saw a full kit on sale less than a week ago.
My memory tells me it was approx. 50" for .25-.40 glow. The motor thrust line is all important so I would suggest testing before final final(if you see what I mean)
fixing of the pylon.
Dave.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 AM
flybug

Thanks Daveosoar I will check the bay to see if that kit is still available.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

This topic has been discussed before. Do a search and you should turn up the earlier thread. The Pilot kit was mostly ply and would probably come out to heavy to get off the water.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
flybug

ORIGINAL: Lake Flyer
This topic has been discussed before. Do a search and you should turn up the earlier thread. The Pilot kit was mostly ply and would probably come out to heavy to get off the water.
Thanks Lake Flyer for the info, I will surely mod this model to current standards/technology. I believe it can be constructed in a way that will allow it to take off and of course land

The previous topic you mentioned never did specify a location for the plans (I've seeked and did not find), which is what I am looking for and the few individuals who stated in that thread that they had original kits with plans has never logged back in to RCU since then (2004) so here I am back where I started still looking for plans for this plane or a kit for what matters. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chas
PS - Also checked eBay to no avail
Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Davey.....why not suggest this to Walt after he has finished the Maules and the 38...? If he set his mind to it, he could make a pretty decent one....
Old 03-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Lake Flyer

I know Walt got a set of plans from Germany, but it would be a good project. I'll see if I can track down the German plans website later. Flying models has a plan for one that is 58". It is plan # CF247
Old 03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
flybug

Great I will look in to flying models for the mean time.
Thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Lake Flyer

The German plans website is at www.vth.de . The plan is for the LA-250 Renegade. It's plan Best Nr.: MT/K 495 and it's 1/4 scale with a wingspan of 2570 mm. I've never seen one at a float fly so it would be a tempting project
Old 03-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Wayne22

that's 101 " wing span ....ooooooo... I'd be in for something like that !!!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 PM
flybug

Should've attended my german classes it would've been easy to surf that site[]
Old 03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Lake Flyer

I've directed other people to that site and your right, it's a pain. I got my catalog from Bob Holman so you may be able to order through him, but I am not sure on that.
ORIGINAL: nony

that's 101 " wing span ....ooooooo... I'd be in for something like that !!!
Nony, yeah my arm could be twisted into doing one at 101". Maybe we could all go together with Walt and make it worth his while to make up a fiberglass "kit". Lets see you, me, RC Bart, Cliff, John, and Walt. Sounds like a good topic for discussion around a camp fire with a big bottle of rum
Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Wayne22

hey, you read my mind !!! I think it would be a great project. The Laker has always been a favourite of mine.....
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 AM
flybug

Oh yes, this is a great project all, lets get it going
Old 03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
rcbart

Dave, sure sounds like a good idea. Do you think a turbine would mount in the pylon?

Bart
Old 04-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Wayne22

Don't know how I missed this one, but, yes, I think it would fit nicely in the pylon...you might have to make the tailfeathers out of titanium, though........
Old 04-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Lake Flyer, that would need to be a big bottle of rum....I might come along. Now it's a while since I've sat around a camp fire with a bottle of rum..

There'sa great rum here in Australia named after the town in which it's made, Bundaberg. It's a very nice dark rum, and after it I like Bounty from Fiji best. Either will do, then give me acall.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Wayne22

Heh heh...I like the way you think....
Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

OK nony, lets's just forget the project and get into the rum!!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Wayne22

Hey you are more than welcome to the campfire...especially if you bring the rum!! Be prepared for the consequences though..some contributors to this thread do have a bit of a reputation
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I hope the model flys better than the real one. I flew a buccaneer about 25 years ago and it was a SOB of an aircraft, difficult to get off the water and difficult to get back on with any finesse, but cool to sit in on the water, and alight on the water, drop the gear and taxy up onto the beach, or vice versa.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
jmpshot

I bought the plans for a Lake Renegade 250 from that place in Germany back in February. One of my contractors from Germany was here in the U.S. and he helped me thru their website. It wound up costing $38 U.S. and took about two weeks for the plans to arrive. The plans are in both German and English, metric and english measurements. I have found several errors or inconsistencies in the plans, but I marked them up so that they were accurate on all the views. IF I can get the time, I am going to try to put the plans into CAD. It sure would be nice to be able to have a kit cutter cut up the wood. This will be my first ever scratch build and a monumental task for me. I know a very experienced builder would have no problems with this, but the plans don't give much explanation. But I am not scared, I will get this one built eventually!

The wing span is 101", length is 75". Estimated weight is 9KG (about 20 pounds). The plans have details for custom building landing gear (plug in/removeable struts, not retracts). I think I may use some Robart struts instead. I am also debating whether to do a gas engine or electric. The plans show a Kriz Bully 52 engine. I guess this is a German glow or gas engine.

Anyway, I have started scratch building from my marked up plans. So far I have the fuselage formers and the engine pod made. The engine pod and main fuse former under the pod called for 5/16 plywood. I laminated two sheets of 5/32 plywood together to make the 5/16 ply. The plans lack how and where to put servos and servo trays. I guess I am going to have to come up with that myself. Also, a fiberglass cowl will have to be made. The plans don't give as much detail on the cowl as I would like.

If anyone has questions or wants more details, feel free to contact me.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
flybug

Can we get some pictures of the build?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:50 PM
jmpshot

Flybug,

I have a mediocre camera for taking pics, but I might be able to get a friend of mine who has one of those very expensive and fancy digital cameras to take some pictures for me as I progress thru the build. Just understand that I don't get much time to work on it right now (two kids 6 & 3, and oh, yeah, a wife who gives me other "more important" projects to do). So progress may be slow. But I am looking forward to getting it done. I really like the looks of this plane.

And in regards to your first post about the Buccaneer. Last fall, I too, was looking for something on the Buccaneer (because I could not find anything on the Renegade at first). I got the plans for a Buc from AMA plans. Unfortunately, the plans are really the layout of the plane from the old Pilot Models kit that goes along with the instructions. There are no details for building the fuse formers and some other parts. About a month later, I find out a friend of mine who used to fly 15 years ago has the Pilot kit in his basement (collecting dust) with the plane about 70 percent built. The AMA plans were basically the first sheet of two from the kit. The second sheet had some pictures of how to build the plane, but still did not have any detailed sections for the individual formers or other pieces. I am sure a very experienced scratch builder could probably build from these plans.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 AM
flybug

Jmpshot, any updates/pics on your build?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.