Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Balancing the Seamaster 40

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Balancing the Seamaster 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Leemata
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing the Seamaster 40

I'm finishing an original Ace R/C Seamaster 40 kit. Should it be balanced with just the tip floats and water rudder installed, or with landing gear and no tip floats and water rudder? Thanks in advance!!

Terry
Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing the Seamaster 40

Lee-
Tou'll want to fix the tip floats on permanently,they are always falling off.There should not be that much difference between with or without L.G. The water rudder just flips up,never take it off-Jeffo
Old 04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Leemata
My Feedback: (1)

Do you have any good suggestions for permanantly attaching the tip floats AFTER they & the wing has been covered? Double stick foam tape maybe??

PS - Where in Michigan is Baltimore? I can't find it in my atlas.
Terry

ORIGINAL: jeffo

Lee-
Tou'll want to fix the tip floats on permanently,they are always falling off.There should not be that much difference between with or without L.G. The water rudder just flips up,never take it off-Jeffo
Old 04-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Augie11

Carefully remove some covering from both the tip float and wing. You should be able to hit a rib as I recall. Then just epoxy on. Double stick tape wont work well enough.

Augie
Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 AM
jeffo

Lee-
New Baltimore is just north of Mt. Clemens.It's right on Anchor Bay.I fly 2 places on the bay,in the winter right off the New Baltimore park,but not this winter it really never froze where I felt it was safe.Muscamoot Bay,I take the ferry across to Harsens Island.It's about 2 mi. across,5 mi. to my right and as far as the eye can see to the left(Detroit river).The bay max's 5 ft. deep all sand.It's a float flyers dream.The only problem is on the weekends it turns into a big drunk fest.you litterly have over 500 boats cram on one side of the bay,my side.It is the biggest party you'll ever see.They even have a web site jobbynooner.com
It used to be one weekend a year,but the best kept secret in town is it is every weekend-
-Jeffo
Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

I have one that I bought used, it has the tips held on with silicone applied directly to the covering. There is a bead along the front, and along the outside edge, then the rest is just in spots. Feels pretty tough, with just a little give. I have flown it some, including some side slips, and they have stayed on fine.

Ken
Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 PM
jpg0529

ORIGINAL: Leemata

Do you have any good suggestions for permanantly attaching the tip floats AFTER they & the wing has been covered? Double stick foam tape maybe??
I also used silicone and have been very pleased with the result. I put a bead around the edges and a few in the middle. Seems to hold well.
Joe
Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 AM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

I noticed when balancing this plane it's a little touchy. It will tip forward or backwards either way on my balancing machine. Did anybody balance it inverted?
Old 04-15-2006, 11:48 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Velcro will work for the tip floats.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Deerslayer

I fly my Seamaster a lot in the winter. I take the floats off, as they have a tendency to catch in the snow and cause a ground loop on take-offs, landings or slow touch-and-goes. I built mine without dihedral (I rarely use dihedral in any plane), so possibly my floats are a bit more likely to catch and trip me up than yours may be.

The idea of using Velcro for attachment sounds ideal, I intend to change over to that approach - much more resilient than hard gluing them on or fooling with the screws to attach them.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:12 AM
jeffo

The ARF version uses velcro.If your on an inland lake your O.K. I'm in a bay where 1 to 2 ft. swells are normal.A wave catches the wing tip just right and off pops the tip float.I just got tired of chasing the damn thing.To each there own,once I glued them on problem solved.
-Jeffo
Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Augie11

Jeffco is right. Velcro will not work consistently. Glue them on.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:14 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

Maiden flight was this morning on mine. What a nice flying plane! I was a little concerned about it being over-powered with a 61fx but it flew fine at 1/2 throttle. Used silicone for the float tips and they held just fine. What a blast!!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 PM
ADSala
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jeffo

The ARF version uses velcro.If your on an inland lake your O.K. I'm in a bay where 1 to 2 ft. swells are normal.A wave catches the wing tip just right and off pops the tip float.I just got tired of chasing the damn thing.To each there own,once I glued them on problem solved.
-Jeffo

I have been flying Seamasters for many years. I found that even small swells will cause some grief on take off. Not to mention getting the plane all water logged. How in the heck do you take off out of 1 to 2ft swells? [&:]
Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
wayne123

I have a seamaster 40 with no pictorial instruction book to assy,can anyone help please. [email protected]